• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

D.B.Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
The current Tslime SQ lift is a 1973 HERON-POMA model from CB.

Back in 2001(and many years past that) as I tried to Rally the Troops at DCSKI to support Bill Brights effort to buy and build the 'Almost Heaven" resort ski area on Mt Porte Crayon I was slammed by most because in their words..they would rather see the 2 areas in the valley improved and that a new area would just ruin the pristine nature of the Area...I at that point I had been coming to the Valley for 5 years and that was more than I needed to know that the Valley was just a Non Evolving Dinosaur...27 friggin years after my 1st run down White Lightning and then 2 winters ago my last run down the same slope using the same old lift..heck..the Queen Lift was a 1964 lift from Colorado..what A Joke..but Noooo..some of the Same People posting here were so against the best Mountain West Virginia had to offer for Skiing....so friggin stupid..such a waste of Time...

ChmxJoe74

Booting up
Skier
I spoke with Bill Bright's Project Manager in charge of Almost Heaven a few years ago. He told me that it had to do with a land owner not willing to sell a large amount of acreage in what would have been the middle of the resort. He also stated that it was a blessing in disguise as the coming financial crisis would have probably been too much for them to handle at the time.

ChmxJoe74

Booting up
Skier
Just want to add the Bright Group should buy Tline, build a connector trail system through whitegrass, have canaan build off the backside, and connect it to Almost Heaven - 3 mountains 1 pass! They could do a Whistler Blackcomb style Gondola from Weiss Knob to MPC! One can dream.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just want to add the Bright Group should buy Tline, build a connector trail system through whitegrass, have canaan build off the backside, and connect it to Almost Heaven - 3 mountains 1 pass! They could do a Whistler Blackcomb style Gondola from Weiss Knob to MPC! One can dream.

:roflmao:

I'm trying to imagine what a Whistler-Blackcomb Peak2Peak sized connector gondola would look like running through that area... it's would be crazy, and funny, and freakin' awesome (and maybe the biggest example of overkill I've ever seen).

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We could have had Almost Heaven but now we have Almost Nothing.

Sad, but wonderfully quotable lineogsmile

How do you think T-Line would do if Chip Chase became its operations manager? I doubt he has interest in taking on that kind of headache, but it would have been neat to see what he would have done with it over the last ten years. :huh:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I may get some negative feed back about this but if they had not run Blanzy and Amos off and let them continue to run the place over the last ten years they would still be in business.

Yes and no. Depends how much the krazy couple skimmed off the business. They drove off good people, but good ops can’t save a leaky ship. Fred and Tracy were drilling the holes.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hopefully somebody can explain the implications should the court agree to make this a Chapter 7 vice chapter 11. From a TL customers perspective, is this a good or bod development?
MorganB

A bit late, but I'd say for sure good. There's no way the current owners can reorganize the business (Chap. 11) in any useful way. So instead this will liquidate it (Chap. 7), which means either there will be a buyer or there won't, and the buyer will do something with it that's better than having the current owners try. Not saying it will turn into anything, and with the US currently on a path to possible recession it's going to be even harder.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Snowmobile club buys it and a couple snow guns to cover two trails top to bottom for running laps. Lifts get scrapped to raise cash for snow guns. If I were looking for a quick way to make money off the property with minimal investment I'd do that... Make snow and charge sled heads to ride there.

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
Time to make use of any "sell tline" swag. I'm betting there will be a new owner in a few weeks....maybe a few months

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
When, where and how does this get resolved, by whom? What are odds for a good outcome?

Note: I am not a lawyer.

When? The Chapter 7 conversion is scheduled for 18 September unless the objection is heeded. Once in that status, the resort’s assets can be liquidated by the US Trustee.

Resolution: The best case scenario would be for a potential buyer to acquire the resort after the conversion and then negotiate tax incentive financing from the state and county and venture capital or investor deals to make the sort of investments needed to run a profitable ski resort—one that could be sold downstream to a larger resort company like Altera. The worst case would be for a liquidation and sale to buyer or buyers with no interest in running the place as a ski resort. Odds for a good outcome are best, most interested parties feel, with Chapter 7.

How long before we ski? 1-3 more seasons. We are too late in this process for the resort to open this season unless a major miracle occurs.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January