• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, but that six pack is a fancy heated bubble, with a lot of weight... so it makes sense that it didn't up the capacity, though 1800/hour is pretty low. Even Ramcharger (which is awesome) is only 3600/hour. TM's 6-pack is much simpler, obviously, so should be quite a bit higher than the Powder Seeker 6-pack.
OK, I’ve started drinking early, so check my math. And hold my beer. 1800 per hour = 30 per minute = 1 chair every 6 seconds for a triple. That never happened for the old Hojo lift. By a wide margin.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I’ve started drinking early, so check my math. And hold my beer. 1800 per hour = 30 per minute = 1 chair every 6 seconds for a triple. That never happened for the old Hojo lift. By a wide margin.
I think your math is right. I don't know about the old Hojo, but one chair every 6 seconds isn't unusual for triples, looking at some other resorts.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe @Lift Blog can settle the six pack vs bubble six pack capacity argument.
Does a non bubble six line hold more chairs than a bubble?

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well here's "my" trip report - pretty much verbatim what I would have written:

Thanks again for the help from the site. We skied at Canaan Valley on 12/29 with very poor boilerplate conditions and some poor reporting on what was open versus closed. I can see where the area has some potential with good snow but we did not get to see it in favorable light.

We went to Timberline on 12/30 and had a great day of skiing. I'm guessing they have a much larger capacity for snowmaking than CVR and it definitely showed. We alternated between Dew Drop, Thunderstruck and White Lighning all day on a man-made snow surface with very few icy patches. Dew Drop was getting thin by the end of the day and this mornings' rain will require some creative grooming to keep it covered. That will definitely hurt without another blue run. Off The Wall looked like it also could have been opened but had not been groomed out. Lift lines were a steady 15 minutes after about 10:30AM but the hill never felt too crowded. Overall we enjoyed the day and would like to come back again when they would be 100% open. I think my wife would have enjoyed Twister.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Maybe @Lift Blog can settle the six pack vs bubble six pack capacity argument.
Does a non bubble six line hold more chairs than a bubble?

Makes no difference.

According to @Lift Blog, the old Thunderstruck lift capacity was 1800 people per hour, and the new 6-pack lift is 3200/hour. (And the new quad is 2375/hour.) I don't know if those are official or resort provided, but they're typical of new lifts I think.

Directly from Doppelmayr.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
They have been blowing hard for the last few days. Hope they get the base back up, and can open additional terrain

James

Out There
Instructor
So y’all got rains last week? I thought you were in the snow trough of that heinous storm.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
I skied Saturday. The ponds and the Blackwater are full, but I was surprised how much natural snow was still left on the upper half of the mtn. Btw, OTW was soft and bumping up nicely.

Sponsor

Staff online