• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any insider intel on what the next trails to open will be?

mdr227

Booting up
Skier
It does seem odd that a week into January with enough cold air to make snow recently that they still haven't opened Twister, Almost Heaven, Good Intentions, etc..

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also optimistic and I believe that TLM will have a decent selection of top to bottom runs open by Christmas, but I really would not base anything on AccuWeather predictions a month out. From talking to an ops guy at another mountain, he said that they typically do not trust forecasts more than 72 hours out.

Anyway, really looking forward to getting back out to TLM. I am going to guess that they will have 4 top to bottom runs open by Christmas. I would happily lap White Lightning, The Drop, and Dew Drop all day, especially if there is a bit of fresh snow.

Edit: if the Perfects manage to get all slopes open by New Year's, I will be the first to post here admitting that I was too conservative! I would be thrilled if this ends up being the case.

My guess would be 1-2 more trails. Heaven and maybe top of Twister. And OTW instead of the Drop. Shorter, and needs less snow.

Besides the weather, what sort of water supply do they have now? My educated guess is that they’ll run out of water first. That was the MO of the previous ownership and of CVR.

And yeah, forecasts more than a few days out are not worth much. From what I read of general trends, no large scale Polar Vortexes likely this Winter. That would cause an extended cold spell.

How did we do? @wgo was more accurate than me. I think we posted this around DEC 1.

I‘m mostly surprised that Heaven isn’t open. Due to length and aspect, Twister is generally the last trail to open. Thought they may try to push it higher due to real estate crowd, but reality intervened.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It does seem odd that a week into January with enough cold air to make snow recently that they still haven't opened Twister, Almost Heaven, Good Intentions, etc..

‘From above post, mostly surprised about Heaven. They had some serious amount of rain and lost a lot of snow. Makes sense to replenish the base of existing trails before opening new ones.

Does Good Intentions even have snow making on it?

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Grooming the snow mounds on I think Snow Squall now. Maybe getting ready to set the terrain park features.

BTW The pond at Winterset is full to the top. Haven't seen the other lake

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
How did we do? @wgo was more accurate than me. I think we posted this around DEC 1.

You called it on OTW vs the drop.

I have not yet been able to get out there, hoping to do so at the end of the month. I am going to guess AH and the drop will be open by then.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
The Snow Squall terrain park is OPEN with small to medium features. Snow Squall as 2 rails, 2 boxes, and one jump today.

They are slowly opening more terrain

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I just got back from my second day at Timberline this season. Couple of observations and thoughts.
1. I had to call customer service to use the $15 credit from the weekday tickets I purchased a few weeks ago. The person I worked with (Megan) was great. A+. They said that it is on their IT To Do list.
2. Conditions were decent. The snow on Dew Drop was lumpy. Kind of hard to find a rhythm for turns. Thunderstruck was very fun.
3. Need some moguls. We skied Off the Wall and it was just a steep firm snow trail.
4. Not sure how well the lifts were thought out. There was basically a single track of snow that skiers were using to go both ways to the lift lines for the 6 pack and the quad. Once Twister opens this is going an even bigger issue, especially for skiers trying to get to the quad from the lodge.
5. I appreciate the aggressiveness in opening terrain. I got to ski Upper Almost Heaven right after they opened up. The irregular whales were fun to ski.
6. Maybe a couple of heaters on the deck would be good. Wife was little cold this morning, but really didn't want to go inside.
7. Overall a really good day. Tired though. Out and Back from DC makes a long day.

3A63CAEC-0FD7-4724-B8BF-30DAFFB31829.jpeg 7B56FF1E-1C16-4BDA-80B1-407A6DA685DF.jpeg

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Just to show they never stop improving. I was leaving the parking lot Saturday afternoon and a trailer of additional snow making equipment had just rolled in. Looked to be the portable snow wands or booms, whatever you call them. I saw one yesterday on a sled on Thunder snow, looked like they were putting them straight to work.

Sponsor