• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
A realtor informed me that a 1BR with a loft at Northwoods generated $12,500 of rental income in the first 3 months of 2021 (1 Jan-1 Apr). That’s one reason why the sales value of these units is going up. Rental demand is through the roof.

As for the pipes, it seems like they are focusing on the western side of the mountain. I suspect Almost Heaven (which had issues last season) and maybe Dew Drop as well.
How about Twister? Heading up tonight, will take a hike up the mountain and see what I can see

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
From KWillg6 on DCSKI:
Some for sure stuff that happening. They are currently replacing the snowmaking pipe up Winterset trail. That's a big need with all the slope side housing there. I understand they will be doing the same on Almost Heaven which has been lacking the needed cover for a full season. They ordered more snow guns for the mountain. About half are the fixed Pole Cat guns and the rest will be moveable guns to augment what is already on hand. Water was not a problem last year as it seemed that they had enough capacity when needed. Hope that continues. Also understand that they will try to make snow by the first of November if the weather cooperates. It's been a long time since I've skied on Thanksgiving in the valley. Used to have to make the 2 hour trek and fight the crowds at the shoe for early season turns. They tried to hydro seed this last month but gully washers moved all the seed to flatter locations. They will give a try again at a later time.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Interesting, the pipe on Twister isn't that old compared to the pipe on the rest of the mountain. Maybe this is where some of the new fixed snow guns are being installed.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable lodging for a small family for the upcoming season? I wish we could get a big group together but it will be just my wife, son, and I. I've tried VRBO, AirBnB, and several real estate companies and I'm having a hard time with $300+ a night for very dated properties.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable lodging for a small family for the upcoming season? I wish we could get a big group together but it will be just my wife, son, and I. I've tried VRBO, AirBnB, and several real estate companies and I'm having a hard time with $300+ a night for very dated properties.
Wallmart has some good bargains on large easy set up tents!...ok..disregard...still a little woozy from a boozy 4th...hope uall had a doozy!!!...oh..and good luck Cameron...there has to be some 1 bedroom pull out couch type rentals up there...

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
When i was up at TLine a couple weeks ago i was snooping aeount the old Boy Scout buildings. Peaking in a window i noticed that one room has been completely cleaned up. New flooring and paint on walls and ceiling. Bathroom was in the back. I couldnt see much. It looked like a nice hotel room. Maybe future seasonal employee housing?

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I know housing for employees was a big hurdle for them last year. Where are the Boy Scout buildings located?

The bunkhouse was used to house Scouts. I sincerely hope it is being renovated for employee housing. This is shaping up to be a huge problem for the upcoming season—i.e. finding workers. Snowbasin just announced the cancellation of its summer Brews and Blues festival due to lack of employees. Snowbasin offers above average wages for the area and is offering $500 signing bonuses and they still cannot find people. Let’s hope we get the J-1s back.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wasn't sure what that building was when I was there in March but it definitely looked like it had seen better days. I figured it might have been more likely to be bulldozed than renovated. Timberline2 (2).jpg

Sponsor

Staff online