• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Time for a Beacon upgrade. Any suggestions?

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Hey,

Currently have a Mammut Element beacon. I'd like to get something new this year. Considering sticking with the mammut brand. Anyone have any experience using the barryvox vs barryvox s? I know there are extra features with the S version. Just looking for direct user comparisons. There is a dramatic price difference so the Barryvox is appealing to the S version. But if it is leaps better I am fine to pay extra.

Happy to hear any other thoughts on BCA's line up as well.

Thanks

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have Barryvox S as I like those few extra features, especially extended search in pro mode, pro check, and setting "revert to transmit" to shorter interval is plus too. W-link (I think non-S doesn't have this one, but not 100% sure now) is another cool thing, but it depends if victim is using Mammut or not. Other then this, I would say for normal user "normal" Barryvox is more then enough, as range and everything else should be same for both.
Compared to others, it has longest range from this what I have "tested" (not properly just by trying different transceivers on field, not by doing some proper tests and measurements, but for that there's plenty of tests on web. From all I have tried (Mammut, Ortovox, Pieps) it has by far most comfortable carrying system, as Barryvox is first transceiver I don't even know I have it on. Ease of use is same with all... you should train to get handling into subconsciousness so I don't feel any of modern tranceivers would be easier or harder to use. So with all that, Barryvox non-S or S, whatever those extra S features mean to you, would be my suggestion.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Looks like California just passed a law upgrading bacon.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I upgraded from the Mammut Pulse to the Barryvox S a few years ago and definitely give the Barryvox S a big thumbs up. Both beacons have a ton of great features, but the extended range and the faster processor really make this beacon a worthy upgrade.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Unless you are a professional, I suggest purchasing the Barryvox. Many pro-users with a Barryvox S, leave it on the standard mode for work. This is equivalent a Barryvox. The Barryvox S numerous special features and functions are rarely used by most recreational skiers. Reading the manual and learning how to use your avalanche transceiver is the more important than the actual transceiver model.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have used the BCA Tracker 2 for the past 8 seasons for work and personal use. It has been the standard issue at my resort and we replace them every 4 years for accuracy and reliability considerations. I use my transceiver about 100 days every season and I turn it on every day. I practice with it most days doing both single and multiple transceiver searches. I have always liked the simplicity and reliability of the Tracker 2 and have passed my rec and pro partner rescue tests with it. I have had the opportunity to demo various other brands but I stayed with the Tracker 2 as I felt very comfortable with it. Last season I won a Pieps Pro BT transceiver in an American Avalanche Association photo contest and I am looking forward to using it this season. It is highly rated and has more advanced functions. As @charlier stated, the most important thing is to read the instructions and practice, practice, practice to become proficient and make sure your partners are very proficient!

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am buying a beacon this year for my teen (needs one for lessons and eventually some beacon-mandatory resort terrain) and I know very little about them, so appreciate the timing of this thread. The Barryvox can be bought packaged with a probe and shovel (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6011-276/Barryvox-Package-Pro-Light?colour=NOC02) - I assume they’re reasonable quality, but any opinions or experience with the set? Or any other suggestions?

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am buying a beacon this year for my teen (needs one for lessons and eventually some beacon-mandatory resort terrain) and I know very little about them, so appreciate the timing of this thread. The Barryvox can be bought packaged with a probe and shovel (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6011-276/Barryvox-Package-Pro-Light?colour=NOC02) - I assume they’re reasonable quality, but any opinions or experience with the set? Or any other suggestions?
I demoed the Barryvox transceiver and have some co-workers who use it daily during the season. It is very good and reliable. Here are some other options:

Amazon.com : PIEPS Set Powder BT : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Backcountry Access Tracker 4 Avalanche Rescue Kit : Sports & Outdoors

Reactions: Mel

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I bought this package last year. Works fine. The beacon is easy to use, has a nice lockout feature so don’t have to worry about it slipping out of transmit mode. The probe and shovel aren’t the lightest but not an issue for me.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier

Mel, very nice shovel, UIAA approved and a 180 cm probe - a good compromise for most snowpacks. A wonderful set-up for your teen.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Excellent, thank you!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I got that set for my daughters 2 seasons ago when they were 9 and 12.
I got it because the shovel and probe were small and light and the package was a good price. My wife and I already had the included Barryvox beacon, so it matched those.

pro’s
  • Great beacon
  • probe packs shorter than most(more sections), this is important for short people with small backpacks.
  • Shovel blade is small, appropriate for smaller users, and easy to fit in small packs.
  • Shovel is solid and lightweight, and has bright colors
Con’s
  • Probe is very short, and (at least on ours) has string, not steel cable, so likely less durable.
  • Shovel shaft can be inserted ‘upside down’ in which case it won’t lock(single side button).
  • shovel shaft button once popped into the shaft during practice, meaning it wouldn’t lock into place into the blade. Had to reposition it with pliers.
  • No hoe mode, short shaft and small blade might mean slower shoveling, especially for taller and stronger rescuers.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I had the Mammut Element and upgraded to the Barryvox (non-S). As a non-professional, I don't need the extra bells and whistles that I really don't use. Love the extended range though. And I love the interface and use of it. But that's very personal. If the Element was intuitive for you, then the Barryvox will be too.

On any probe: anything under 240 cm in length I would personally not buy. I've seen 280 cm probes disappear completely in snowy situations...

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got that set for my daughters 2 seasons ago when they were 9 and 12.
I got it because the shovel and probe were small and light and the package was a good price. My wife and I already had the included Barryvox beacon, so it matched those.

pro’s
  • Great beacon
  • probe packs shorter than most(more sections), this is important for short people with small backpacks.
  • Shovel blade is small, appropriate for smaller users, and easy to fit in small packs.
  • Shovel is solid and lightweight, and has bright colors
Con’s
  • Probe is very short, and (at least on ours) has string, not steel cable, so likely less durable.
  • Shovel shaft can be inserted ‘upside down’ in which case it won’t lock(single side button).
  • shovel shaft button once popped into the shaft during practice, meaning it wouldn’t lock into place into the blade. Had to reposition it with pliers.
  • No hoe mode, short shaft and small blade might mean slower shoveling, especially for taller and stronger rescuers.
Great info, thanks. The 13yo is already 5’8”, so I might buy the barryvox on its own and the other pieces separately to get him a longer and more durable probe as well as a shovel with a longer shaft. Ideally I’d like to get something he can keep using and practicing with year after year to get really familiar with it.

TS
clewis

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Great info, thanks. The 13yo is already 5’8”, so I might buy the barryvox on its own and the other pieces separately to get him a longer and more durable probe as well as a shovel with a longer shaft. Ideally I’d like to get something he can keep using and practicing with year after year to get really familiar with it.

Hi Mel,

Check this site out for a bit of a discount on the barryvox https://motorsportshq.com/products/mammut-barryvox-avalanche-transceiver?_pos=6&_sid=b54272aa6&_ss=r

It might be in your neck of the woods since you posted a MEC link. I just bought one. Also I would agree with a few other that a 180cm probe is not enough. Plus a good quality probe will last a long time. I tour in the Canadian rockies and interior BC. The majority of the people I tour with have 320cm probe. 240cm bare minimum.