• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tip diversion causes.

James O

Putting on skis
Skier
Tip diversion (the opposite of a wedge) is seen often in both great skiers and racers, and in mere mortals (like me.)

I don't believe it is always wrong, but certainly can be an issue in one's skiing that needs addressing.

I've heard it said that it is often caused by too much weight on the inside ski.

Thoughts, ideas from some of the high level experts here would be very appreciated.
McGlashan recently posted a video that talks about tip divergence/convergence:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've been paying a lot of attention to the timing of the exact moment of transition in all my turns no matter the type. Whether I'm doing flat sliding turns in a pivot slip, a falling leaf or a 360 or carving railroad tracks it seems I was always a little late to switch weight distribution - that's where I see my tips diverge.

When I move to the new foot earlier, the outcomes are a lot better. On the run where I do most of my drills there are a few steeper sections that are better for drills like "up and over". Working a few of those into my routine has made a positive difference in that I can really feel when I'm late to establish the new outside ski. About half my turns are done with mostly parallel skis, the rest are a bit sketchy to some degree but I'm really pleased that I'm now aware of the difference.

It's kind of weird really. I've been obsessing over my lack of mogul skills and the work I'm doing to fix it is showing up in my groomer skiing.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Tip diversion (the opposite of a wedge) is seen often in both great skiers and racers, and in mere mortals (like me.)

I don't believe it is always wrong, but certainly can be an issue in one's skiing that needs addressing.

I've heard it said that it is often caused by too much weight on the inside ski.

Thoughts, ideas from some of the high level experts here would be very appreciated.
Back and in... or in, then back. :)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Resurrecting this old thread. Watch this video at 28 minutes for Diverging Parallel.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January