• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tip Lead

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
:)

Talk to us more of leveling, then?

Can your leveling cues be used in a dryland test case, with one booted leg on the floor and one up on a footstool?
If it helps, my personal leveling cue on snow is a negative one. I wish I could think of a positive one, but for me I want to NOT feel the pinch in my side. If I feel the rib coming to my pelvis I know that I am not leveling. I want to feel more like I am folding at the waist. I'd like to get a belt buckle with a giant Fischer logo that would jab me in the belly when leveling correctly.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If it helps, my personal leveling cue on snow is a negative one. I wish I could think of a positive one, but for me I want to NOT feel the pinch in my side. If I feel the rib coming to my pelvis I know that I am not leveling. I want to feel more like I am folding at the waist. I'd like to get a belt buckle with a giant Fischer logo that would jab me in the belly when leveling correctly.

Absolutely! The pinch' tells me the spine is doing the work of upper and lower body separation. The name of the band IS NOT spinal twist and torque. Great for chiropractor job security and exam recidivism rates though.

:beercheer:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Thought I knew what hip leveling meant - until this post.

There seems to be different approaches: leveling largely through lateral movement at the hips and leveling mostly by upper/lower separation. You seem to be in the latter camp? Does that mean you are less of a fan of staying square-ish to the skis?

Also, as ski performance increases, is there too much emphasis on keeping hips level? This guy skis pretty well and those hips are a long way from level. So can we minimise the pinch through more inclination, less angulation (assuming we angulate enough to retain grip)?

JDS2.jpg

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Thought I knew what hip leveling meant - until this post.

There seems to be different approaches: leveling largely through lateral movement at the hips and leveling mostly by upper/lower separation. You seem to be in the latter camp? Does that mean you are less of a fan of staying square-ish to the skis?

Also, as ski performance increases, is there too much emphasis on keeping hips level? This guy skis pretty well and those hips are a long way from level. So can we minimise the pinch through more inclination, less angulation (assuming we angulate enough to retain grip)?

View attachment 184178
I wouldn't say keepthehips level. That implies that you want them level the whole time. I like that leveling is a verb. I'm assuming that skier is coming straight down the fall line at that point of the turn. He can (maybe) start to level more from there. He probably had more inclination above. That's leveling. Looks like the appropriate amount of counter for that turn too. And maybe no tip-lead? Hard to say from dead ahead. If you unleveled him more he'd probably lose control of that inside foot and get more tip-lead.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I see a lot of angulation. How much more level could the hips be at this kind of edge angle? My body wouldn't bend much more. It's called leveling, not level. Am I missing something?

Had in mind this...

1669585284072.png

Comparatively JDS has less angulation for roughly the same point in the turn.

Take your (and @Erik Timmerman ) point. Leveling does not mean level. Which is what I was reading in to it.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure if this is off topic or not, or if anyone else will see the connection or be interested...

I surf so for me it is interesting and has always been obvious that there is a sharing of body awareness and feel and communication or feedback with the environment. It is all heightened with surfing as you have to adapt simultaneously to changes in a 4 dimensional playing field - the "mountain" moves and every part of your body (including the mind) affects what you are able to do in any situation that develops.
The most interesting thing about technique is how there is an equal amount of "forgetting" technique that comes in to play.
But these guys explain it better than me so if you can get this it is worth a listen.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 7.51.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 7.49.52 AM.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....there is a sharing of body awareness and feel and communication or feedback with the environment. It is all heightened with surfing as you have to adapt simultaneously to changes in a 4 dimensional playing field - the "mountain" moves and every part of your body (including the mind) affects what you are able to do in any situation that develops.....

View attachment 184530
Here's the link to that interview featuring Tom Gellie and Clayton Nienaber. It's free on YouTube.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
For the past year or more Richie has taken to posting youtubes without explanation. In this case there is an explanation as it's one of the drills he describes in his section in Projected Production's Legacy Part 2 - Long Turns.

The outside pole tuck is intended to keep the hips and shoulders facing the direction of the skis and direction of travel. Says it's better for controlling pressure on & between the skis and is a stronger. Angulation comes from leveling the hips whilst still facing the skis.

@Erik Timmerman - this in line with what you mean?

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The most interesting thing about technique is how there is an equal amount of "forgetting" technique that comes in to play.

Interested but not going to wade through an hour of audio or try to follow screenshots to the same. Please paraphrase and-or point us to a cued and openly accessible link.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
For the past year or more Richie has taken to posting youtubes without explanation. In this case there is an explanation as it's one of the drills he describes in his section in Projected Production's Legacy Part 2 - Long Turns.

The outside pole tuck is intended to keep the hips and shoulders facing the direction of the skis and direction of travel. Says it's better for controlling pressure on & between the skis and is a stronger. Angulation comes from leveling the hips whilst still facing the skis.

@Erik Timmerman - this in line with what you mean?
Yep. that's leveling.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some skiers go for absolute performance, spending hours in the gym, others ski more relaxed while others lack the hip mobility necessary and angulate at the spine instead etc.

Alignment issues also impact hip leveling and counterbalancing.

The fact that we will see everything all the time does not invalidate the principle that balance is better with separating at the hip laterally, that counter creates angulation below the fall line and that off piste skiing absolutely requires separation in all planes and using all joints (@geepers will love that last one :ogcool: ). It's true.

Sponsor

Staff online