• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tipping the foot inside the boot first - why?

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you find yourself around Belleayre in the Catskills NY...
Oh, that's a beautiful area. I spent a summer working on a racehorse farm near Woodbourne, about fourty years ago, and have many great memories of exploring the region. It's on my list of places to revisit someday.

I don't suppose that bakery in Ellenville still makes the world-changing raisin pumpernickel bread they had. It was like eating cake. Probably out of business by now, or the kids changed the recipe or something.

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Oh, that's a beautiful area. I spent a summer working on a racehorse farm near Woodbourne, about fourty years ago, and have many great memories of exploring the region. It's on my list of places to revisit someday.

I don't suppose that bakery in Ellenville still makes the world-changing raisin pumpernickel bread they had. It was like eating cake. Probably out of business by now, or the kids changed the recipe or something.
Your going to have to come do a quality check--looks delish:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
At a low level intermediate level we start to focus on the inside foot starts the kinestetic chain reaction that is a turn. That continues for some time until the discipline of both shins move in unison is 100% reliable.

As that sensation becomes ingrained, we refine, hone and decrease the time spent in that phase to make edge to edge much quicker, much more dynamic, and with higher edge angles.

This happens over a course of years, not weeks or months.

Go With a Pro to discover more.

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
FWIW, I find that tipping my foot inside the boot helps my skiing, in all ski boots, even rentals, even when wearing my very stiff antique fits like a cast - hard as concrete boots with over-posted footbeds. Works in all conditions, hard or soft snow or rock hard ice.

I think it's something to do with the unconscious commands my body gives out when trying to tip the foot (or as I think of it, the ski that is my foot) on edge. How that works I cannot say, 'cause if I were running around a corner, my ankle would be tipping the other way to keep the sole of my foot in good contact with the ground, which would not be helpful. Maybe not doing that is the whole point. :huh:
I see my thoughts in the other thread are nothing new.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January