• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tipping the foot inside the boot first - why?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

That's why I was directing focus to the 'and failing' part.

If those spots weren't accomodated properly or they were but the foot is unstable, the problem areas get bigger at the second try.

WScott

Looking for the perfect turn …
Skier
Feet, ankles, knees, hips.....that's the sequence I was taught and would teach.
1. Skis get on edge faster.
2. Skis are still light, with no pressure.
Agreed, experience tells me efficient, technically sound skiing starts at the feet. Subtle variations of foot movement/input at various points/phases of the turn are supported/enhanced by a range of dorsiflexion in the ankles.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Again I get that. But as I sit here barefoot I tip my foot, my ankle moves inward and my tibia and knee follows. I start with moving my knee and my foot stays more flat -footed. Hence thinking about inititiating movement from the foot up.

But I remain unclear as to why & whether it matters that that foot tipping is within and to a degree independent of the boot structure the foot is within or is directly transmitted to the boot sole/lugs. I guess the answer there is that there is something of a wind up effect and that when an inverted foot starts moving the boot the leverage is greater?

Put another way the range from part inverted to fully on edge is less than from flat. It shouldn't really matter over a full cycle of turns (as it just moves the timing to a different point) but maybe it just feels snappier?
Probably the biggest WOW! I get from my upper intermediates and advanced clients is when I simply tell them to focus on lifting the edges of the skis (while remaining fore/aft center balanced). This directive inevitably sends the focus to the foot as the tipping initiator. As for my beginner students, this isn't an issue as this is how I teach them right from the get-go.

So a good question to ask is why are so many not skiing from the bottom up? My Signature below is one answer.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The big WOW I get is when I tell them that we're going to turn on power steering. The free foot pull-back gets the body center of mass aligned over the ski's sweet spot, and how sweet those skis now turn!

Agree, all skiing starts with the feet. The rest of the body movements amplify what the feet get started.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The big WOW I get is when I tell them that we're going to turn on power steering. The free foot pull-back gets the body center of mass aligned over the ski's sweet spot, and how sweet those skis now turn!

Agree, all skiing starts with the feet. The rest of the body movements amplify what the feet get started.
This is not the thread to discuss at length the inside foot pull-back, but yes, that's the power move once they are doing the tipping with their feet and legs. Wowza - the turning gets way more power immmediately.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I disagree.

Your tank turn move from the foot pull-back thread is one that very immediately comes to mind as benefiting from tipping of the foot inside the boot.
The two movements can be taught separately. Then the two need to be bundled together before the lesson is over. Flexing the new inside leg is first as I teach these, then tipping the foot, then going bowlegged, then pulling the foot back. All these can be taught as separate movements, in whatever order the instructor wants. The client will feel each of them in isolation and recognize how well each can contribute to starting the new turn. The foot pull-back adds serious power to the others once they are bundled.

At some point, hopefully in one short lesson, all these actions need to be made into one holistic movement of the new inside foot and leg. Ideally some time will be spent smoothing out the blending to expell any woodenness that may want to linger.

Last edited:

WScott

Looking for the perfect turn …
Skier
Feet, ankles, knees, hips.....that's the sequence I was taught and would teach.
1. Skis get on edge faster.
2. Skis are still light, with no pressure.
Disclaimer: I'm not an instructor.

But it's apparent to me that it's the simplest and quickest way to pressure the edge you want pressured. If you don't pressure the soles of your feet, the only way to pressure the edge is to pressure the boot top, which requires large movements that take time to initiate and a bit of speed to balance.

The absolute very first drill I do every single day on the slopes is walking-speed turns initiated by pressuring the soles of my feet, first from side to side and then adding in a very slight rolling of the inside ski onto the front inside (of the turn) tip by lightening the heel. Stay upright, sink shins into the boot tongue. It results in very tight slow speed turns. Then I progress into more speed and more angulation, bringing knees and hips into play. It seems to work well for me, but if any pros have suggestions about what problems it might cause I'm all ears.
Do you have a video of this?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think it works for me because it is easy to understand and accomplish. Ski instruction can be confusing for the learner. Tell me something simple and explain why I should do it. I will feel the results and understand why, leading to quicker adoption. Sort of along the lines of the (questioned) cuff pressure.
Pulling a foot back is easy to understand but the initial feedback is dubious, more of a thing to practice and hope it sticks.
Lightening the inside ski, something I am good at, is still an odd concept and at least for me is more of an end rather than a means.
Even hands forward, a simple concept with immediate results, is sometimes easier said than done.
But for some reason, I can always make my foot roll either on demand or intuitively.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My own theory of how to ski:

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones,
Now shake dem skeleton bones!

The toe bone's connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone's connected to the ankle bone,
The ankle bone's connected to the leg bone,

The leg bone's connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone's connected to the hip bone,

The hip bone's connected to the back bone
The back bone's connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone's connected to the head bone,

The finger bone's connected to the hand bone,
The hand bone's connected to the arm bone,
The arm bone's connected to the shoulder bone,

Dem bones, dem bones gonna walk around
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk around
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk around

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
^^^^^
See the lifting of the foot starting at 24 seconds in. Notice the toes. Totally different muscles used vs moving your knee to the inside. Both roll the foot.

But for some reason, I can always make my foot roll either on demand or intuitively.
Which methodology do you use? Every skier making a turn ends up rolling their foot. Rolling the foot by raising the edge of the foot has a meaningful impact on upper body positioning and edge building capability as the turn progresses.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Which methodology do you use?
Like in the video above. Having not skied since April, I forget if I start with the inside foot. I don’t really think about which one rolls first, but now I want to. There are a million types of turns. Sometimes I just lift the whole foot up. Other times it gets lazy and kind of wanders around - not the best move to have a 187 cm ski wandering around.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
So when Sean presented his foot movement stuff to a bunch of us at a clinic many years ago, he had us sit with just socks on the feet, knees bent 90 degrees, and start by trying to RAISE THE ARCH. When we could do that, he had us trying to raise the little toe edge of the foot. In both cases, he asked us to feel along the sides of the lower leg to understand what all is involved in either movement. With practice, you can do either without significant lateral movement of the knee. I start most turns with a raising of the arch of the new inside foot. That action tends to apply weight to the new outside foot. When I'm doing well, I'm raising one arch and one little toe side.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With practice, you can do either without significant lateral movement of the knee.
Why would one want to do this? I've always thought of it as a chain of events that occurs...starting with tilting the feet, that initiates the shin tilt, which brings the ski up on edge, thus allowing for angulation, and deeper edging. I'm not sure why you'd want to practice breaking the chain after the first link.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not sure why you'd want to practice breaking the chain after the first link.

I don't see it as breaking the chain after the first link so much as intentionally targeting different modes of the chain by controlling the triggers at the first link.

It's like facial muscle control for actors - except for the feet :)

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Why would one want to do this? I've always thought of it as a chain of events that occurs...starting with tilting the feet, that initiates the shin tilt, which brings the ski up on edge, thus allowing for angulation, and deeper edging. I'm not sure why you'd want to practice breaking the chain after the first link.

Correct that it’s an integrated chain. The drill above would be an exercise to isolate and train feet/ankle movement only. To be sure it’s really happening. Then progress to integrating that back into normal turns.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct that it’s an integrated chain. The drill above would be an exercise to isolate and train feet/ankle movement only. To be sure it’s really happening. Then progress to integrating that back into normal turns.
This makes sense...especially where you say "to be sure it's really happening". I could see a lot of people thinking they are starting with rolling the foot when they're really starting from the knee.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online