• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips and tricks for young mischievous pup

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Any ideas to help? This 6.5 month old male Golden has been really BAD lately. He shredded our deck umbrella this morning with my wife right there. We try to stop him with the suggestions from the trainer but then he just bites. He is scheduled for neutering soon. He is always mounting and biting. Getting costly with all of the destruction — trashing mini blinds, digging up sprinkler heads, pulling shrubs apart ... :rolleyes:Help! He was very sweet until the past few weeks.

We had him to his Vet Friday and she gave us a prescription for Prozac (for him, not us!). We're waiting for the neutering first to see if that helps.

B7C1FB61-621A-481E-B2AF-19E3543A0781.jpeg

A43B3091-1E3C-424C-BD03-6180B349D9AB.jpeg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dave, patience and consistency in training Zuko is the only advice I can give you.
It will take a couple years for that puppy brain to mature.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Dave, patience and consistency in training Zuko is the only advice I can give you.
It will take a couple years for that puppy brain to mature.

Problem is he is such a large puppy that when he puts his mind to something he just does it. My wife can't even walk him because he is so strong. I have to wear a wrist guard with a metal band in it when I walk him, and I'm 6'3" and 220.

Few weeks ago the trainer was over to the house and couldn't even get his harness on him.

...good thing he is cute.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Problem is he is such a large puppy that when he puts his mind to something he just does it. My wife can't even walk him because he is so strong. I have to wear a wrist guard with a metal band in it when I walk him, and I'm 6'3" and 220.

Few weeks ago the trainer was over to the house and couldn't even get his harness on him.

Trust me, I understand. When I had Otis I had to be really diligent with him and not let up on the consistent training. He grew up to be 105 lbs but still had his puppy brain.
This is why shelters have labs and golden retrievers surrendered.
Owners get puppies thinking that they're going to be the nice dogs they've seen as adult labs, but the puppies can be crazy out of control and difficult to manage until they're about 2.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier

The walking thing is easy to fix. Hopefully you have a leash and a choke collar. If you don’t have a choker, get one. The idea obviously is not to choke him or hurt him, but to train him. Put it on him and go outside. And start walking. And then at completely random, unpredictable times, stop and change direction. The neighbors will think you’ve gone nuts, but you are going to be switching direction every four to 10 steps. And when you do, the dog gets a pop from the choker and then follows you. It’s best to ignore the dog while you are doing this. And then it’s 20 steps and so on. The dog eventually will learn to follow you such that you are walking the dog and not the other way around. 5-10 min a day for a few days should do the trick.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Trust me, I understand. When I had Otis I had to be really diligent with him and not let up on the consistent training. He grew up to be 105 lbs but still had his puppy brain.
This is why shelters have labs and golden retrievers surrendered.
Owners get puppies thinking that they're going to be the nice dogs they've seen as adult labs, but the puppies can be crazy out of control and difficult to manage until they're about 2.

I have mixed feelings. My wife is looking for a family to adopt him.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I have mixed feelings. My wife is looking for a family to adopt him.
He’s in the defiant teenage time of life. Dogs and boys are the same - the tired ones are good ones. So he needs a job, just like teenage boys. It doesn’t matter what it is - picking up sticks works. You’re trying to prevent idle hands, err paws. What you’re going through is totally normal - he’s testing boundaries. That’s what they do, especially before they get fixed. With all that said, if you really are thinking about calling it quits, tell me, and I’ll drive up to get him.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
He’s in the defiant teenage time of life. Dogs and boys are the same - the tired ones are good ones. So he needs a job, just like teenage boys. It doesn’t matter what it is - picking up sticks works. You’re trying to prevent idle hands, err paws. What you’re going through is totally normal - he’s testing boundaries. That’s what they do, especially before they get fixed. With all that said, if you really are thinking about calling it quits, tell me, and I’ll drive up to get him.

We have to have a talk with our son. My wife contacted Golden Retriever Rescue. I think they are coming tomorrow.

Been trying to wear him down. When he is good he is super sweet.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
We have to have a talk with our son. My wife contacted Golden Retriever Rescue. I think they are coming tomorrow.

Been trying to wear him down. When he is good he is super sweet.

Looks now like we are waiting a few weeks after neutering to see if that changes behavior.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Looks now like we are waiting a few weeks after neutering to see if that changes behavior.

It very likely will. Plus that age is, as has been said, one of the most trying times when you have a dog. Try doing it with a 1.5 year old husky with a s/o who barely lifted a finger if it was anything other than snuggle time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Patience.
I think the neutering will help calm him down a bit. It seemed to help for Otis.
If you can get through this, you'll be over the moon for Zuko.
You will have to continue to let Zuko know that you are the master.

But as @elemmac said, Don't shoot the dog.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Any ideas to help? This 6.5 month old male Golden has been really BAD lately. He shredded our deck umbrella this morning with my wife right there. We try to stop him with the suggestions from the trainer but then he just bites. He is scheduled for neutering soon. He is always mounting and biting. Getting costly with all of the destruction — trashing mini blinds, digging up sprinkler heads, pulling shrubs apart ... :rolleyes:Help! He was very sweet until the past few weeks.

We had him to his Vet Friday and she gave us a prescription for Prozac (for him, not us!). We're waiting for the neutering first to see if that helps.

View attachment 112613

View attachment 112614

Yikes!

I think it's important to say that if your family is being made miserable, I know everyone has suggestions, but ultimately if you're getting hurt and it's disrupting your family, you may decide that he is just too much for your family, and you are the only ones who can make that call. All puppies are not created equal. Some of them need a certain type of environment. Yes, some people give up their animals without any attempt to solve the problem first, but it doesn't sound like you're one of those people.

I've heard that neutering can make a big difference in behavior. I hope that does the trick.

I agree that exercise is key. When Cooper was young, I would actually take him to the dog park BEFORE a hike. If I didn't do that, he didn't listen to me. It was ... a lot. I didn't do that with Loki, and Loki drove me up the friggin' wall, but he wasn't aggressive and maxed out at 60 pounds.

The walking thing is easy to fix. Hopefully you have a leash and a choke collar. If you don’t have a choker, get one. The idea obviously is not to choke him or hurt him, but to train him. Put it on him and go outside. And start walking. And then at completely random, unpredictable times, stop and change direction. The neighbors will think you’ve gone nuts, but you are going to be switching direction every four to 10 steps. And when you do, the dog gets a pop from the choker and then follows you. It’s best to ignore the dog while you are doing this. And then it’s 20 steps and so on. The dog eventually will learn to follow you such that you are walking the dog and not the other way around. 5-10 min a day for a few days should do the trick.

This technique doesn't require a choke collar. There are martingale collars as well if you do think this route is appropriate - they limit the constriction if fit correctly.

Our trainer had us start this sort of randomized walking in the yard, to minimize distractions. Only once the dogs got the idea were we allowed to take it to the sidewalk. They made great progress; unfortunately we humans got into a situation where they couldn't keep the training going. The trainer did have us using a carefully fit martingale collar with a "pop" technique to communicate. I found it difficult to time it and do it correctly, but at least with the martingale, I knew I couldn't actually choke them. Although I don't think that's the same thing as saying they can't be harmed - which I suppose one could also do with an overly aggressive yank on a regular collar, but it would be less likely.

I was able to train Cooper to stop pulling, even when there was a rabbit running away from us, using the "I am a tree" method combined with randomization - if he pulled toward a rabbit, I'd stop dead or even switch directions. This was with a regular collar. When we got Loki, training fell apart because I wasn't willing to walk them separately, and it's really hard to train this way when your dogs are doing different things. In hindsight, it would have saved me a lot of trouble to do two walks ... I also have other friends who've trained this way without having to use choke collars, just regular collars.

My dogs have/had Easy Walk harnesses, which help tone down some of the pulling, although it's no substitute for training. It does make them easier to control when they pull, because the forces don't allow them to pull straight forward.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Dave Petersen If you are not comfortable with a choke chain collar look into a "Haltie" (spelling). It is a very simple collar system with a nose loop. when the dog tries to pull it turns their head towards you, and they can not pull. It is more abut dissuading behavior than pain.

We used this with our old dog Daisy when she was young, she HATED it, but it worked quickly. Most any pet shop should have them.

Speaking of Daisy, please have a gentle thought for her. The old girl is going through liver failure and her time is getting near. No real pain but she has stopped eating and is sleeping a lot more, when awake she just wants attention. she is about 13. There is a lot of pain in our home right now.
Happy Daisy at the beach.jpg

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Speaking of Daisy, please have a gentle thought for her. The old girl is going through liver failure and her time is getting near. No real pain but she has stopped eating and is sleeping a lot more, when awake she just wants attention. she is about 13. There is a lot of pain in our home right now.

My best to you and your family. It was such a tough time for me last year when I couldn't get Cooper to eat.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I put the front attachment on today for his Julius K9 harness — it came in the mail this weekend. It worked FANTASTIC! Now when he tugs hard it pulls him sideways. We took a long walk and went across the new floating bridge near our home. He did great. Still kept humping me when we got home, but I’ll keep distracting him until his surgery next week.

It was a rough weekend for all of us. He destroyed all the mini blinds (except for the ones above the sink) in the kitchen. Also shredded our deck umbrella. He did all of this with us present. Doing much better today.

Thanks ALL for the positive words and help!

A80ED967-2E49-4890-B5B7-60BE58302488.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I put the front attachment on today for his Julius K9 harness — it came in the mail this weekend. It worked FANTASTIC! Now when he tugs hard it pulls him sideways. We took a long walk and went across the new floating bridge near our home. He did great. Still kept humping me when we got home, but I’ll keep distracting him until his surgery next week.

It was a rough weekend for all of us. He destroyed all the mini blinds (except for the ones above the sink) in the kitchen. Also shredded our deck umbrella. He did all of this with us present. Doing much better today.

View attachment 112696
That sounds like progress.

As @Monique said, if you need to rehome him ultimately, it is understood, but if you can get things under control, well.....That would be great.

We use the Easy Walk Harness with Gypsy as recommended by the trainer we work with.
It looks like it works a lot like the one you got for Zuko.

James

Out There
Instructor

View attachment 112696
Those connectors on the floating bridge look like the connectirs on VIST plates.
Maybe @bbinder has suggestions on the dog.

We’ve had a couple with separation anxiety, one shredded a car interior, another drapes, doors. But- not when people were there like yours.
Crate training helped a lot.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dave Petersen it sounds like he needs more mental engagement as well. Have you tried various puzzles, Kongs with frozen treats, lick mats with frozen peanut butter or wet dog food, and the like. When Hatch starts going nuts while I'm trying to work I've been known to leash him to my desk. He usually settles pretty quickly. I have a frozen treat thing waiting for him for during my class that starts in a bit.

Sponsor

Staff online