• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips and tricks for young mischievous pup

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I know some friends who bought a square of astro turf to facilitate potty breaks when the yard is covered in snow. I assume you could use it year round, but sounds pretty annoying to control nature to that degree.

I wouldn't do this with our dogs because 1) my yard sucks and I'm ok with that 2) what happens when you travel with a dog and you don't have the designated spot?

Last fall I made a large gravel area for him to go in his favorite spot. I even bought some spray at the pet store to attract him. He promptly moved on to lush grass. :roflmao:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
A neighbor is complaining about brown spots like that too.

When I lived in Virginia, we had a master gardener come by to advise us on our yard. We had circles of taller, greener grass throughout the yard. He said it was from dog pee. So in some climates, it burns up the grass and in others, it fertilizes it? :huh:

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A neighbor is complaining about brown spots like that too.

When I lived in Virginia, we had a master gardener come by to advise us on our yard. We had circles of taller, greener grass throughout the yard. He said it was from dog pee. So in some climates, it burns up the grass and in others, it fertilizes it? :huh:

Exactly! I think if you fertilize your yard often (like mine) it burns it. If not, it turns it green. ...at least here in the Midwest.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Back when I had a dog when I lived in St. Louis, any of his pee would burn the grass. I did not fertilize the grass, so fertilizer had nothing to do with the dead spots we had when we first got him.

So I set up a schedule of walking him three times a day. We also watched him like a hawk when he was let loose in the back yard. Those outside periods were short, and were only allowed when he had just been walked. He was a house dog, so his sojourns outside were just that, a not-too-long trip outside on a leash to do his business and sniff everything while walking, then maybe a little while to rest in the back yard on the grass. He did not "live" in the back yard.

Those well-timed walks worked... the grass no longer had dead spots. He was a cockapoo mix from a shelter.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've got too much deer and rabbit poop to care about spots due to dog pee, and the bees love the deer vetch, so the disappearance of all the grass to it has been a blessing. The only place I have grass growing is in the garden.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Exactly! I think if you fertilize your yard often (like mine) it burns it. If not, it turns it green. ...at least here in the Midwest.
Your dog -- er, your wife's dog -- is probably posting on PeeTalk about how to get humans to quit fertilizing spots he has already taken care of. Because the humans are burning up the grass he likes to pee on.:cattledog:

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Back when I had a dog when I lived in St. Louis, any of his pee would burn the grass. I did not fertilize the grass, so fertilizer had nothing to do with the dead spots we had when we first got him.

So I set up a schedule of walking him three times a day. We also watched him like a hawk when he was let loose in the back yard. Those outside periods were short, and were only allowed when he had just been walked. He was a house dog, so his sojourns outside were just that, a not-too-long trip outside on a leash to do his business and sniff everything while walking, then maybe a little while to rest in the back yard on the grass. He did not "live" in the back yard.

Those well-timed walks worked... the grass no longer had dead spots. He was a cockapoo mix from a shelter.

We do two 2 mile walks a day.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Your dog -- er, your wife's dog -- is probably posting on PeeTalk about how to get humans to quit fertilizing spots he has already taken care of. Because the humans are burning up the grass he likes to pee on.:cattledog:
Too funny!

Sponsor

Staff online