• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips and tricks for young mischievous pup

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any ideas to help? This 6.5 month old male Golden has been really BAD lately. He shredded our deck umbrella this morning with my wife right there. We try to stop him with the suggestions from the trainer but then he just bites. He is scheduled for neutering soon. He is always mounting and biting. Getting costly with all of the destruction — trashing mini blinds, digging up sprinkler heads, pulling shrubs apart ... :rolleyes:Help! He was very sweet until the past few weeks.

We had him to his Vet Friday and she gave us a prescription for Prozac (for him, not us!). We're waiting for the neutering first to see if that helps.

View attachment 112613

View attachment 112614
I think @coskigirl has played check mate to you in this game of doggie chess.
I'll let her post the picture.

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Our kitchen is pretty stark any more to minimize damage. Took out furniture, mini blinds are temporarily hung up by papers clips since he ripped them down, took out sections of the kitchen table...

A7FDC8CC-E78B-4E00-AB06-2961355D640E.jpeg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Three dogs are sitting in the waiting room at the Vet's office. They look to the first dog and ask why he is there.

"I'm a chewer. I've managed to destroy many valuable things in the house and my owner is fed up." He looks down shamefully and says, "I'm here to get neutered."

The dogs shake their heads and look to the second dog. "Why are you here?"

"I'm a digger. I dig so many holes, my owner can never have a garden and is fed up." He looks down shamefully and says, "I'm here to get neutered."

The dogs shake their heads and look to the third dog. "And you?"

"My owner does housework in the nude. The other day she bent over to vacuum under the couch and I got excited and couldn't help myself. I jumped up and mounted her from behind." He looks down shamefully.

The other dogs shake their heads and say, "guess you're here to get neutered also."

The third dog says "Oh no. I'm here to have my nails trimmed!"

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
O.M.G.

That’s... impressive

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kind of familiar. Separation anxiety?

Yep. I watched it all live while I waited in line for a COVID test because I have some symptoms. I’m heartbroken for him. I actually am not all that upset about the carpet as I’ve wanted to put in luxury vinyl plank for awhile. And now power is out. This day is shit.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Toby, a beagle, had separation anxiety. He lived to be 16 and he and I dealt with it throughout his life. It is heartbreaking. I believe -- and it's just that, my own belief -- that separation anxiety is an emotional issue that we address as if it's behavioral.

I have sworn not to get another dog unless and until I am prepared to have at least two dogs. Should the first one have separation anxiety, I will get it a companion. Like Dharma on "Dharma and Greg" ... Dharma had a dog. And Dharma's dog had a dog.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
A large percentage of bad behavior stems from one thing. Insufficient exercise for the particular breed. A tired dog is a happy dog.
Some breeds need only 15-20 minutes twice a day BUT any working breed and many others need at least an hour twice a day. And if you aren't prepared to make sure they get it they will find another outlet for that energy.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fortunately for us, Gypsy's separation anxiety only exhibits in whining, pacing and occasionally howling, but never destruction.
She was doing better with other dogs while we were outside a lot but now that its colder and we're inside with visiting dogs, she is getting possessive of toys again. Trying to break that.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How's he doing? I bet the cone kept him under control a bit.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
How's he doing? I bet the cone kept him under control a bit.
The vet prescribed sedatives the past week because he was so active. Doing well today without that cone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How's the progress?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been following posts on FB and pictures in the Dogs in Snow thread here and I see a lot of progress.
Care to update?

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Well, if it makes you feel any better about your meddlesome pups, we’re now at the vet for stomach pumping for the second time this week, and that’s after a previous abdominal surgery because he ate a bunch of plastic bags and legos. He’s guilty but doesn’t learn. Or I don’t learn. Maybe some of both.
684963FD-8399-4C83-9FE8-1A455F9B24C7.jpeg
5DA583C7-DE10-4D07-87F9-8B2FF91268D1.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online