• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the info. I actually called Hyatt Place and their shuttle doesn't start until 0800. Oh well...under .5 mile walk will be a nice warm up in the mornings.

What are you guys referring to? If you stay at Hyatt, there is a free ski area?

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Is it better to drive to Brighton/Solitude/Alta/DV or park at the base and take the ski bus if you have a medium-sized SUV? In other words, what is the road and parking situation usually like, this time of the year?

Finally, is the ski bus free if you have the Ikon pass or is it still $4.50 each way? Someone mentioned this today, but I can't seem to find anything on Google.

Also, do the resorts themselves run buses that go to those Cottonwood Heights bases?

Thanks!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Finally, is the ski bus free if you have the Ikon pass or is it still $4.50 each way? Someone mentioned this today, but I can't seem to find anything on Google.

Ski bus is free with Ikon Pass but in order to get a correct scan on the bus reader you need to go to Solitude (owned by Alterra) to get the Ikon Pass registered with UTA. I got a red light on the AltaBird bus but I told the bus driver that I am going to Solitude the next day to register the pass, the bus driver then used his own bus pass.

BTW Alta and Snowbird are skiing great right now with lots of fresh snow and soft conditions. Deer Valley is a lot firmer snowpack and the traffic is really bad due to the start of Sundance Film Festival.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Ski bus is free with Ikon Pass but in order to get a correct scan on the bus reader you need to go to Solitude (owned by Alterra) to get the Ikon Pass registered with UTA. I got a red light on the AltaBird bus but I told the bus driver that I am going to Solitude the next day to register the pass, the bus driver then used his own bus pass.

BTW Alta and Snowbird are skiing great right now with lots of fresh snow and soft conditions. Deer Valley is a lot firmer snowpack and the traffic is really bad due to the start of Sundance Film Festival.

Is the Deer Valley report from today (Saturday)?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Is the Deer Valley report from today (Saturday)?
Sundance is usually a great time to ski Deer Valley and PCMR, as there are typically less people on the mountain at this time.

I was at PCMR today and it was better crowds than typical for a Saturday. I wasn't at DV, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a similar situation as PCMR today.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Sundance is usually a great time to ski Deer Valley and PCMR, as there are typically less people on the mountain at this time.

I was at PCMR today and it was better crowds than typical for a Saturday. I wasn't at DV, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a similar situation as PCMR today.

Are you saying PC generally has more traffic than DV or the other way around?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I think they are saying that the traffic in town is heavier. :huh:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Traffic to the ski resorts in PC is okay during Sundance. Pales in comparison to weekend traffic in the Cottonwoods in fact.

It's parking in downtown PC (Main Street) where you have issues during Sundance.

PCMR is usually more busy than DV, although I don't know how IKON has affected that trend this year. My guess is PCMR is still more crowded than DV, but I honestly don't know how big an impact IKON has had this year on DV.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had never considered lodging up canyon until this year. What little lodging there is in the cottonwood canyons has to be benefiting from this situation.

Skiing the cottonwoods and staying in town? Just get up super early. Shoot for parked at the resort and eating breakfast 2 hours before the lifts open.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are driving to Deer Valley, you can avoid Some of Park City and Sundance congestion by coming in from 189 on Kearns Blvd.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it better to drive to Brighton/Solitude/Alta/DV or park at the base and take the ski bus if you have a medium-sized SUV? In other words, what is the road and parking situation usually like, this time of the year?

Also, do the resorts themselves run buses that go to those Cottonwood Heights bases?

Thanks!

Drive if the road conditions/weather are acceptable. On a weekend day/holiday/powder day at this time of year, leave early and arrive early in order to ensure a parking spot in a car park rather than being forced to park along the canyon road or, worse, get shut out of any available parking anywhere. If the electronic message board at the mouth of BCC or LCC indicates four-wheel drive/chains are required, that's a tougher decision based on your winter driving skills and how your vehicle is equipped/fitted out. The ski bus is an option but, if you're waiting at a bus stop at the mouth of the canyons or even at a bus stop a short distance before the mouth of the canyons, the probability is high that the bus will arrive already overloaded with people and gear with no room for you. Alternatively, there may be some standing room only on one of the first three or four buses that come by your stop but this means you'll be standing in the aisle holding all of your gear for at least a half hour and, more likely, longer (sometime way longer) than that and subject to lots of herky-jerky motion from relentless stop-and-go driving. Definitely drive to Deer Valley, as the route is longer but way less treacherous and there's no appealing alternative.

As already mentioned, the ski bus charges $4.50 per person each way and Ikon pass holders/season pass holders/employees ride for free. The resorts do not run ski buses: they are operated by the local municipal bus entity known as the Utah Transit Authority and subsidized by the Cottonwood Canyon resorts. Solitude operates a shuttle that makes three trips per day (sometimes more) up to the Solitude Nordic Center, which is on the Brighton loop and passes right by Brighton each trip. I'm almost certain the shuttle drivers accommodate people wishing to travel to and from Brighton Ski Area, although I imagine they expect a tip

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had never considered lodging up canyon until this year. What little lodging there is in the cottonwood canyons has to be benefiting from this situation.

Skiing the cottonwoods and staying in town? Just get up super early. Shoot for parked at the resort and eating breakfast 2 hours before the lifts open.

Is this just for weekends or powder days? I'm hoping so.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I took the UTA bus up Big Cottonwood this morning and the bus driver made me pay ($2.25 senior) while Little Cottonwood bus drivers lat Thurs and Fri did not. I got a receipt from the driver and when I registered my Ikon Pass at Solitude I asked for a bus fee refund and they said in lieu of cash they would give me a $5 gift card good for food or ski rentals or lessons.

BTW conditions at Solitude were firmer than Alta-Bird last week but not as firm as Deer Valley was on Sat.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Up to you. Would missing a day of skiing ruin your trip?

Missing one day wouldn't ruin the trip, missing a few probably would. So are you saying to get there 2 hours before the lifts open during the week too? That's what I was trying to clarify.

Not that it matters at this point, we can't change our lodging now. So just curious as to what I might be getting into.

Sponsor

Staff online