• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips for helping teens start out

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
HI Everyone,

I am working with my daughter who is going to be 17. She began skiing with me a couple of times as I have gotten back into it starting about 2 years ago after a long hiatus (VERY long).

Long story short, she is athletic, is able to do gymnastics including balance beam dismounts, but seems to have a challenging time getting over the new skier jitters.

It causes her to not be able to pay close attention, and want to stop skiing. She's a VERY 'kinetic' person, so I know for sure if she got the hang of it she would be hooked (one of those things a parent just knows). It's this initial stage that is blocking her up, in my opinion.

I know this happens to a lot of people and it sort of varies how each one deals with it and eventually, if they are still skiing 2 years later, they "got over it", so to speak.

I could classify her challenges along these items, in this order

1. Fear of falling
2. Agitation of not knowing how to stop yet (hockey stop). Instructors want to show her turning wedge style before this step and I feel like this is an Achilles heal, not being confident she can stop any time she chooses (was for me years ago...once I knew I could stop for sure, anywhere, anytime, it changes your thinking IMO). Will an instructor leap frog to this skill before wedge completion?
3. Not believing she can over come these issues. I think this will fade if 1 and 2 above are solved.

Anyway I know there is a ton of info and people often say lessons are the answer and I completely agree in the wide scope of her journey, but what specifically have people done in the past to get someone over these issues. If it includes "getting an instructor do #2 until she's good", then maybe that's the answer. For #1, is there an excercise she can practice to get better at falling?

Any help is appreciated--it seems not everything is always by the numbers as I thought when getting her out onto the mountain.

Thanks
~T

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am usually not a proponent of private lessons. In this case, I think a half day private with a experienced instructor will fix the head.

Post up where you generally ski and someone will recommend an experienced instructor for the right fit.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am usually not a proponent of private lessons. In this case, I think a half day private with a experienced instructor will fix the head.

Post up where you generally ski and someone will recommend an experienced instructor for the right fit.

Thanks for the advice KG.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Nothing against you teaching your child (at any age), but a pro knows things you don't. And one is how to get them to do things with confidence. Lessons....private or group. And there is nothing wrong with the snowplow/wedge stop. It's part of our first step in teaching beginners with the CSIA. Straight running to snowplow stop.

Last edited:

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
1. Fear of falling
Take her out on soft snow days only, never boilerplate.

2. Agitation of not knowing how to stop yet (hockey stop). Instructors want to show her turning wedge style before this step and I feel like this is an Achilles heal, not being confident she can stop any time she chooses (was for me years ago...once I knew I could stop for sure, anywhere, anytime, it changes your thinking IMO). Will an instructor leap frog to this skill before wedge completion?
Terrain too steep. Take her to gentler terrain where stopping takes less effort, and build technique and confidence from there. If she or you are worried about stopping "anytime anywhere", you are over-terraining her. Remember that turning is how we control speed, not successive hockey stops.

3. Not believing she can over come these issues. I think this will fade if 1 and 2 above are solved.
I agree. Get her set up to succeed, repeatedly. Killington has some excellent learning terrain, and with the right trail choices there is a very gentle and steady increase in challenge as she progresses. But whatever slope you choose, it must be at her speed, her ability, that which gives her confidence, not your aspirational terrain.

If you aren't having sucess, either class lessons or a private is the next place to go.

Last edited:
TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nothing against you teaching your child (at any age), but a pro knows things you don't. And one is how to get them to do things with confidence. Lessons....private or group. And there is nothing wrong with the snowplow/wedge stop. It's part of our first step in teaching beginners with the CSIA. Straight running to snowplow stop.
So I guess I should have mentioned that....

She has had ski lessons and will continue to get them.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does she have any friends to invite to learn and practice with her? Sometimes just having a little time to goof around on the bunny slope with a friend can go a long way. Also, are her lessons on busier weekends? Maybe a day of playing hooky for a quieter slope could be beneficial. And... gear? Basic rentals or does she have her own? Easier to feel confident and relaxed enough to learn new skills if you have the right equipment.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Nothing And there is nothing wrong with the snowplow/wedge stop. It's part of our first step in teaching beginners with the CSIA. Straight running to snowplow stop.
How many times am I glad to have that skill feel instinctual due to early instruction. When you need that move there is usually a lot of other things filling your attention.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What about ice skating in the pre-season? I think that's a great way to get used to the feeling of gliding on skis. It's flat which is a plus, but falling is harder than on snow! It's a social something she could do with pals.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Oh, so then I'd go with @mister moose - you're over terraining her. Change the slope to something gentler. Once she has her confidence, then you can try other slopes.

I'm wondering if #1 (fear of falling, fear or the speed or whatever) is the primary issue, but yeah I will definitely keep working on it with her.

We're signed up for some lessons already at a local mountain in the evenings after 5PM --night skiing (weekends are too insane). They have a good training area and
Does she have any friends to invite to learn and practice with her? Sometimes just having a little time to goof around on the bunny slope with a friend can go a long way. Also, are her lessons on busier weekends? Maybe a day of playing hooky for a quieter slope could be beneficial. And... gear? Basic rentals or does she have her own? Easier to feel confident and relaxed enough to learn new skills if you have the right equipment.

Great questions

Friends: Unfortunately no. I was thinking of looking for some groups with kids her age around the local mountain. I agree, I think a feeling of "this isn't just me" would go a long way.

Days on the slops: Yes, we have gone on some of the off days. She probably hasn't had all that much time on the slopes TBH, she definitely needs more which will help. But your point about being "relaxed" is key IMO. That's going to be my focus this season for her, confidence building and being relaxed (or just not a afraid in this regard). I know it applies to everyone, but more so here based on how we're doing.

Equipment: So we just got some for her. Oddly enough, the years I did go skiing in my youth (which wasn't a lot by the way), I went not really knowing much about skiing (no Internet back then so it was all just who you knew and what they taught you). So my knowledge of ski equipment was terrible until recently where I began paying attention. So no I feel I am pretty well introduced to all of this, I made sure she got boots fitted for her for this upcoming season, and a custom foot bed etc. We got some starter skis and we'll see how those go, but I think it was more the boots last year also. She did have quite a bit of down time on the slopes here and there because the rentals hurt her feet too much.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
What about ice skating in the pre-season? I think that's a great way to get used to the feeling of gliding on skis. It's flat which is a plus, but falling is harder than on snow! It's a social something she could do with pals.
Yeah I agree. She does other sports that ate up too much time. But I do think inline skates/roller blades in the summer could help also.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It is good she has her own boots with footbeds. I might suggest renting ski blades to play with and they would help her with the hockey stop. After that rent a progression to a longer ski in maybe 20 CM increases till she reaches the length that you already have.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
@GreenAthlete49 - would she follow you, directly in your path? Or at least a ski instructor? This might help with the decision making process of where to turn.

To bad she can't find a group of like minded teens. Locally here we have a group called "Teens on Edge". Although its more to get the teens out of the Mall and any trouble they can get into. But they have a group that skis every weekend and 1 night a week. All funded by sponsors and volunteer work.

This also got me thinking about the gang of skiers I grew up with. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one still skiing...

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I made sure she got boots fitted for her for this upcoming season, and a custom foot bed etc. We got some starter skis and we'll see how those go,
It sounds like you are well on your way for setting her up for success. With better fitting boots, she'll not only have less pain and down time in the lodge, but more control over her skis as well.

Not to be too nosy, but what is your home hill where you are hoping to find peers for her to ski with? Our collective hive mind might have some suggestions for finding a group.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
It sounds like you are well on your way for setting her up for success. With better fitting boots, she'll not only have less pain and down time in the lodge, but more control over her skis as well.

Not to be too nosy, but what is your home hill where you are hoping to find peers for her to ski with? Our collective hive mind might have some suggestions for finding a group.
Our local is Sundown in Hartford, CT... Our ski trip mountains are mostly Vermont (Epic pass) and Killington.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Our local is Sundown in Hartford, CT... Our ski trip mountains are mostly Vermont (Epic pass) and Killington.
the Sunnyside area at Sundown is pretty great - stay there (Little Joe is better since they took out the lift and put in the magic carpets, but Big Bend remains the best terrain for learning, IMO).

I'd also look into the Club Sundown program to meet other teens at a similar level ...

Small hill instructors are usually great at solving these types of problems. If this was 10 years ago (when I taught there), I'd know exactly who to recommend, but alas, I've moved and don't know the current ski school staff as well.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Go when the the weather isn’t too cold. Go to Stowe when the snow is good and spend a half day on Toll Road. If not too inconvenient or whenever you get some snow to cover the ground, try XC skiing.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
As someone who is very adept at hockey stops, it may be hard to appreciate how hard it is for a new skier to learn this move.

I agree it should be understood from the outset by the new skier that it is an essential skill, but the experienced skier needs to understand that the new skier may be lacking the requisite skills, and needs to develop them first.

They need to be able to unweight and release both edges, pivot the skis in tandem, and then engage strongly weighted parallel edges with skis pointing perpendicular to the direction of travel, all while maintaining balance. Easy for you and me, not so much for the newbie.

They may not yet have the balance, especially fore-aft balance, something that spending some time in a gliding wedge may help with.

They may not have the tipping and edge engagement skills. A drill to help with that is side slipping down a (relatively) steeper pitch with skis pointing across the hill,starting from a stop with engaged edges, release the edges and slide down, engage the edges and stop, repeat ad nauseum. Don't rush things; don't have them do a pivot slip, just side-slip, catch and release and keep skis pointing across the slope. That's enough for now.

Also don't spend the whole day learning just that. All work and no play makes for a dull day!

Hope that helps.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
the Sunnyside area at Sundown is pretty great - stay there (Little Joe is better since they took out the lift and put in the magic carpets, but Big Bend remains the best terrain for learning, IMO).

I'd also look into the Club Sundown program to meet other teens at a similar level ...

Small hill instructors are usually great at solving these types of problems. If this was 10 years ago (when I taught there), I'd know exactly who to recommend, but alas, I've moved and don't know the current ski school staff as well.

Yeah, that's actually something we are considering doing. They have 1xWeek for 5 weeks. Might be a little hard to get there by 4:30 but it's worth it IMO.

That's one thing really I like a lot about Sundown is that training area, it's clearly separate and has some variety in the slopes.

She'll have to get used to the bottom part of the Green slopes (Exhibition) which is a little faster (relatively speaking), once she's ready to go to the top.

Sponsor

Staff online