• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tire plugs?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Anyone use them? I used one for the first time ever on Saturday. Borrowed it from a fellow rider as I don't have any (I would have patched the tire from the inside had he not had the plug). I'm wondering what is the best kind of plug and plug tool? I'm sure there are some opinions out there.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a Samurai (sp?) system that goes in the end of your bars. It made me realize that I miss more than a few trees by millimeters -- I knocked the end caps off both sides over the course of a few months! Standard gummy worms. Seem effective, but I never did get to try them out.

After watching a few videos, I sprung for the new Stans Dart system. Well-reviewed, not cheap, and the "plugs" don't dry out. They are dry from the start, and react with the sealant.

Swore I'd try one out, but.......so far, pocket duty only. It's really light!

There's a bunch of talk about this in another thread. Maybe just the mtb 2020? @Ron will know!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I will have o take a look. Yes, the Dynaplug is probably what you used, its the most popular but there are several out there now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, here's an embarrassing story: Big gravel ride last week. BIG. I was a bit bonky, and got a sidewall puncture that the Stans wouldn't quite seal at full pressure. Put a tube in it.

Got home, emptied my pockets, and there was the Stans Dart plugging tool. This was a perfect opportunity to try it out. D'oh!

I'll give it a go in the garage, but for a bunch of reasons, it's going to be another week or so.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll give it a go in the garage, but for a bunch of reasons, it's going to be another week or so.

Did you go for Stan's Race sealant as well? I hear it is better than the regular one when pressures are higher-denser and with more...stuff in it, whatever the small particles are.
I bought a pack of it but again-yet to try it, so cant say anything. This whole season been extremely lucky with zero punctures on both MTB and road/gravel bikes.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you go for Stan's Race sealant as well? I hear it is better than the regular one when pressures are higher-denser and with more...stuff in it, whatever the small particles are.
I bought a pack of it but again-yet to try it, so cant say anything. This whole season been extremely lucky with zero punctures on both MTB and road/gravel bikes.

I am honestly unsure whether I ended up with the race version of Stans or not. It was a gift. It is unavailable for viewing until later next week......

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I carry the Oneup EDC tool in my steere tube with the tire plug jabber thing and the normal bacon strip type plugs. Have not had to use them yet, so no comment on it.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a variety of models our house. Luckily, rarely used, but when you need them, they are a godsend.

If you get one:
  1. Make sure it's quick to grab. Preloead the tool with strip(s). It's a lot easier to insert when the tire still has some pressure. Also, less pumping after.
  2. Use the bigger strips, not the tiniest ones. If yours came with skinny strips, double them up.
  3. Cover the tool-strips with plastic fit, or keep it in the canister some come with, don't want them dried out or covered in dirt/crumbs

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm probably going to seem like a moron but I just use the Harbor Freight strips. I cut some lengthways with a razor for some smaller ones. I have a small tool and a large tool. Worst hole I have ever patched took three full size car tire strips. I swear by sub zero orange seal. I had a pair of bald Jumbo Jim's that looked like a porcupine before I retired them. I never trim the strips and they wear down to just a round spot. they don't seem to get poked into the tire once they wear down fully.

Sponsor

Staff online