• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

To BOA or not to BOA (we have real world insight)

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No, but I did catch the BOA mechanism when I was taking them out of my Thermal Trekker. ;)
The humanity!

I've NEVER caught a buckle coming out of the bag. Oh wait, yes I have!

James

Out There
Instructor
You know what, I think it’s too good to be true might apply here with BOA being the new panacea for fit issues.
Has anyone actually claimed this?
Pretty much, K2:
“say goodbye to all your boot-fitting woes”
2C74EA4D-4049-4F87-999E-218D586A5854.jpeg

Guys, we had them in the '60's. Molitor/Hechung used the system through the start of the plastic boots. I last used them in 1971 in a high backed Heschung. Never missed those cables.

I have BOA wading boots for fishing now, but don't think they are much needed for a hard shell boot.
A7861938-A56C-4AA5-B1E6-8C5BA9324A21.jpeg

Could you send that photo to Vashon Island?
AC1FD700-75F5-4381-9A34-1A3BF917A115.jpeg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
When i see BOA in the NHL, then maybe....
:roflmao:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
K2 has been working with BOA for a very long time with their snowboard boots which *may* give them an inside scoop on how it works with their ski boots. We shall see.
View attachment 191456
Salomon S/Pro Supra 130 and S/Pro Supra 105 ...which @Tricia says is a real stiff 105.

Are you guys OK?!

No BOA-induced PTSD?!

No spontaneous combustion?!
Whew. I made it through a morning of skiing in this Boa boot thing!

But seriously, Like any first day in any boots, I have figured out a few tweaks I will need to do, like a lateral side punch on my left foot, a bit of a tongue softening in the plastic over the instep on both boots, and that's pretty much it.

I'll ski them today and make some assesments to figure out what needs to be done to make them "my boot" but so far its like fitting any other boot, other than the uniform tightening over the instep is more micro and easier to fine tune.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
a bit of a tonguesofetning in the plastic over the instep on both boots, and that's pretty much it.

I'll ski them today and make some assesments to figure out what needs to be done to make them "my boot" but so far its like fitting any other boot, other than the uniform tightening over the instep is more micro and easier to fine tune.

Do you find the BOA instep pressure changes your proprioception of ankle flex?

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pretty much, K2:
View attachment 191522

View attachment 191523
Pretty much, K2:
View attachment 191522

View attachment 191523
It's this stuff
Pretty much, K2:
View attachment 191522

View attachment 191523
View attachment 191524
It's this stuff, and this

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdo...oots-are-about-to-become-a-relic-of-the-past/

that's worrying. Someone ought too tell the author that flexons hit the shelves in 1980 so by the time Bill Johnson got to Sarajevo they were not exactly news. The other stuff about the development of the design is more interesting but...
  • Say goodbye to your boot fitting woes, no, don't be silly. it's a great idea and we're likely to see more but no, you still need a boot fitter, you just do
  • The largest advancement in ski boots in 60 years...hmm 2023-60 =1963. Well the Henke speed fit was before that and lange had plastic boots in the late 50s. So... I assume we are talking about the Lange poured adiprene boots [at this point I'll be pedantic and say it's not plastic, it's an elastomer but...] the biggest advance since then, really, c'mon K2 people will start laughing at you.
Here's a picture

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 12.36.19.png

I'm going to be controversial and say I reckon that the flip between the first row of boots which look... prehistoric and the second which with a power-strap would look pretty close to the third is a bigger development than a new closure system, albeit one that does have some advantages.

K2... check the right hand column, you bought the molds, you really sure about that 60 year statement...

Rant over.....

What will be interesting is if we see for 24-25 other boot co's using cables without the boa, it's not hard to do

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
if it is the same as the bike shoes (as I guess it is) the dials are asymmetrical/mirrored -the right one tightens clockwise and loosens counterclockwise and the left one does the opposite
I can never decide with this if it's very cool and intuitive, or whether it's just incredibly irritating, given the decades I've spent internalizing "righty tighty, lefty loosey."

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Interesting talk on the recent Pulse labs interview on Blisters gear 30 about the BOA. Although I enjoy it on my F1’s, I do worry about durability. The comment from the Pulse labs owner was interesting relating to the boot cuff being the best indicator of correct sizing related to buckets and the potential for the BOA to tighten the foot and still not addressing the most valuable area in the cuff for a person that isn’t sized well. Also a cool discussion of 3d printing for boot soles.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you find the BOA instep pressure changes your proprioception of ankle flex?
Keep in mind, instep pressure is a usual thing I need to deal with in any boot.
Ankle flex is not an issue in this boot over any other boot. Note: I have a ton of ankle ROM. Hyper mobile.
The BOA actually snugs the boot up in the forefoot uniformly so my foot felt snugged without feeling like there was added instep pressure.

Tongue softening is a normal thing for me to do in any boot.
Edit to add photo

IMG_1368.jpeg

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Keep in mind, instep pressure is a usual thing I need to deal with in any boot.
Ankle flex is not an issue in this boot over any other boot. Note: I have a ton of ankle ROM. Hyper mobile.
The BOA actually snugs the boot up in the forefoot uniformly so my foot felt snugged without feeling like there was added instep pressure.

Tongue softening is a normal thing for me to do in any boot.
Edit to add photo

View attachment 191548
Can you adjust the instep to the point where it's loose at all? ... or at the most loose setting, does it remain tight in that area?
Is it at all hard to manage entry past the instep? :beercheer:

I'm trying to assess the instep room given by the cables on entry and separately once they are on.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you adjust the instep to the point where it's loose at all? ... or at the most loose setting, does it remain tight in that area?
Is it at all hard to manage entry past the instep? :beercheer:

I'm trying to assess the instep room given by the cables on entry and separately once they are on.
There's a lot of slack so opening the throat of the boot is no different than a buckle setup. Then you can take out the slack as much as you need. Super loose or snugged down hard.

Sponsor

Staff online