• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

To Buy (Now) or Not to Buy (Now)? A Review of Demo Skis.

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After a pandemic-imposed two-year skiing hiatus, I skied five days at Steamboat last month. I demo-ed every day -- 4 different skis in the 5 days. Here is my irreverent report.

Me: 5'9", 136#, intermediate. I was looking for a ski that: (a) doesn't bail on me when I'm on steep, groomed, packed, and/or scraped-out trails; (b) is "playful" in soft snow and glades; and (c) is competent in crud and bumps. Not too much to ask for, right?

Day 1 {No new snow in about a week.}: Elan Ripstick (96/167). I had demo-ed these at Jackson Hole in 2020, and still like them a lot. They're like a pair of your favorite slippers. Lots of fun weaving in at out of trees. When I skied these two years ago, I reported some chatter on steeps, but this time I didn't notice any such backtalk. However, in some hardened choppy stuff, the skis bounced me around a bit. Spoiler alert: these skis came in 2nd for me.

Day 2 {IIRC, snow started in late afternoon.}: Nordica Enforcer 93 (93/169). This was the 2021 model; the demo place didn't offer the 2022 (94 waist) model in my size. These skis did it all: stayed glued on steeps, busted through crud, and were not intimidated by moguls. BUT they don't ski themselves! By the end of the day, I was exhausted. I think if I had 20 more pounds, and it was all muscle, and if I was a better skier....

Day 3 {3-4 inches of new snow}: Head Kore 93 (93/171). I really wanted to like these skis -- they look cool, they're lightweight, etc. They were fine in all respects, but there was just no spark (for me). Their light weight did not, for me, translate to playfulness in bumps.

Days 4 & 5 {mixed conditions: still a lot of soft snow in the glades; groomed slopes in varying degrees of firm/scraped}: Blizzard Rustler 9 (92/172). I had requested to try the Atomic Maverick or the Salomon QST, but the demo dudes had neither in my length, and instead suggested the Rustler. It turned out to be my favorite ski of the week. The medal and camber of the inner two-thirds of the skis didn't let me down on steep hard pack. The softer, ample-rise tip and non-catchy tail helped compensate for my limited skills in bumps and trees. I liked the Rustler so much on Day 4 that I kept them on Day 5.

So, now, 3.5 weeks later, with end-of-season sales starting, there are some very good deals out there for the Rustler 9. Here is where Hamlet enters: should I buy them now, not look at any more reviews, and just enjoy them next season? Or, should I wait and ponder other choices over the next several months, secure in the knowledge that the only change from the 2022 to the 2023 Rustler 9 is graphics (from red to green) -- and, of course, no discount? What about possible new competition in the "have your cake and eat it too" segment: e.g., the new Fisher Ranger 92, the Blizzard Hustle? What about the skis already on the market hat I didn't have a chance to try (e.g., the aforementioned Atomics and Salomons, the Elan Ripstick Black)? As Hamlet would say: this way lies madness...

Thoughts welcome.

TS
Jimski

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
for me, demoing is not a game of comparisons between skis. If you love them, buy them. If not, keep looking.

MDF -- thanks, I agree with your bottom line ("If you love them..."). But, with respect, I think you and I maybe disagree on demo-ing. It sounds like for you demo-ing is just a "game" on the path to finding new skis to buy. I actually enjoy demo-ing different skis -- gauging how the characteristics of particular pair of skis affect my skiing, talking skis with the folks at the demo place, etc. On some ski trips I don't even bring my own skis, I just demo. Having said that, and noting that the fees for a 2-3 weeks of demo-ing would essentially pay for a pair of new skis, at some point it's time to fish or cut bait.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The question is what are you gaining by buying and really what is the alternative scenario if you choose to not buy.

You didn't mention what your current scenario that is pushing you to buy

For example,
If this is your first ski in that slot, and you currently have no skis, you need to buy something before next year, so you might as well pull the trigger now and lock that in, once you find something that satisfies your criteria. If you miss the sale and it sells out, you potentially have no skis.

On the other hand, If you already have a ski for that slot in your quiver, and the new skis are getting a modest improvement over your current skis, if you miss the sale you still have your old skis to ski on. It may make more sense to try more demos to get a bigger upgrade jump up; so waiting and further optimize in a quiver slot replacement scenario is a logical conclusion.

If you want to be super logical and nerdy on this:
if this was something like a gaming PC; it is easier to quantify the "improvement jump" threshold to upgrade as numerical Performance Tests are available (and you could also do $cost vs performance analysis).

With skiing it is a little harder, since this is personal choice, but remember this is a leisure activity and you should focus on maximizing your "Fun" and what that means to you. If you must need a metric you can think about smiles per hour. If you are able to say I need +5 extra smiles/ hour improvement to be the upgrade criteria to pull the trigger. And if the candidate skis are only getting you +2 or +3 sph, you can finetune/wait until you find the >+5. (If you want to also merge in fun/$ you could do that too).

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Here is where Hamlet enters: should I buy them now, not look at any more reviews, and just enjoy them next season? Or, should I wait and ponder other choices over the next several months,
The big problem with demoing is the random tuning issues you get. At least with your own skis eventually you should be able to get them right.

I had a Rustler 9 in France that was unskiable. I picked the R9 because I had already demoed it before somewhere else.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If you like the ski and can get a deal you might as well buy the ski. Other wise you will be a member of the analysis to paralysis club here on SKITALK.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the topic of pricing though: We are in uncharted territory so nobody can predict for you what will happen.

In the before-times, generally the ski sales would stop or pause in Spring, as the shops close down and switch over to their summer activity and unsold stuff they have to put into storage. Then it would seem they would bring it all back out Fall for Fall pre-season sale before the new goods flow in. So you get a second bite at it in the Fall with similar sale prices (but with lower selection).

If you haven't checked the news in 2years; it is extremely uncertain what is going to happen. If WW3, or even WW3 lite happens, the stuff may be already horded up, and Fall sales may not happen, and if your backup plan was to just pay to get a 2023 model; there is no guarantee the entire world economy might get broken and 2023 supply may be limited.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m in line with purchasing without demo. :geek:

Extrapolate, trusted reviews, look and sense of the ski in shop. I can’t actually remember the last ski I bought after demo. Only one ski I wasn’t thrilled with.

TS
Jimski

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You didn't mention what your current scenario that is pushing you to buy

I'm looking for "daily driver" skis. I had the 2016 Volk Kendo for my DD, but sold them last year. My other skis, 2019 Rossi Soul 7, are my powder skis, which I literally have never used.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would buy the Rustler now if it was me. Who knows what the supply chain issues will be next year. Now, if you lobe demoing then by all means keep demoing, perhaps you'll never find the perfect one :ogbiggrin:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since you loved them enough to do a second day and not take a chance on sonething you didn't like on the 5th day, in my mind that pretty much says it all. If you can get a good deal now, why wait? If by chance you demo more and find something you like better, there's probably going to be a good market for skis that have only been used a handful of days. Who knows what the supply chain may be like next year? My new Nordica Navigators are made in Ukraine, so they may be in short supply next season.

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
So I would say this is more effort than 99% of people go to on ski selection, and perhaps more than most on this forum (demoing 4 different skis over 5 days) for a $700 purchase. Many people don't look at 5 different vehicles or 5 homes before buying :) NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT! Some of the fun is checking it out, reading reviews, A/B, hell I went back and forth for a month and wrote up a thread before buying a third pair of skis here just last week.

Unless money is very short, or you keenly feel the loss of other possibilities (the "possibility waveform" being collapsed causes you pain and/or remorse, as all the possibilities turn into just "what you have, with its goods and bads together"--loss of possibilities is a real thing!) it seems you have a really clear answer, get the ski you enjoyed skiing 2 days in a row at a discount price, and if something comes up later, sell them at a slight loss, mostly covered by the fun you get by having rented them for the period you owned them. Is a new topsheet worth 20-30% to you? Might be, if you love the new topsheet or hate the old one, and/or if you will enjoy the hunt for a ski over the next 6 months you might like better more than saving $140 now. :)

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never let "perfect" be the enemy of "very good". You liked the R9's...its a great ski by most criteria and you get along with IT and you skied it back to back with other skis which are all great skis as well. This, to me, is a no brainer. The marginal possibility that you will find "the one" is highly unlikely and you'll spend more time and $ (both limited resources..at least for most of us) and then channel that energy into dialing in your skiing on the R9. Hesitation kills. Pull the trigger..cap your cost and ensure you are set for next year. As raytseng said..we stand by to debate your binding choice, mounting position, ramp angle, boot sole choice and other mundane details that are uninteresting to 99% of the skiers out there! :D Lol

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I would get the Rustler 9's no question. Get them a new ski tune at a reputable place right after you get them and keep skiing!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After a pandemic-imposed two-year skiing hiatus, I skied five days at Steamboat last month. I demo-ed every day -- 4 different skis in the 5 days. Here is my irreverent report.

Me: 5'9", 136#, intermediate. I was looking for a ski that: (a) doesn't bail on me when I'm on steep, groomed, packed, and/or scraped-out trails; (b) is "playful" in soft snow and glades; and (c) is competent in crud and bumps. Not too much to ask for, right?

Day 1 {No new snow in about a week.}: Elan Ripstick (96/167). I had demo-ed these at Jackson Hole in 2020, and still like them a lot. They're like a pair of your favorite slippers. Lots of fun weaving in at out of trees. When I skied these two years ago, I reported some chatter on steeps, but this time I didn't notice any such backtalk. However, in some hardened choppy stuff, the skis bounced me around a bit. Spoiler alert: these skis came in 2nd for me.

Day 2 {IIRC, snow started in late afternoon.}: Nordica Enforcer 93 (93/169). This was the 2021 model; the demo place didn't offer the 2022 (94 waist) model in my size. These skis did it all: stayed glued on steeps, busted through crud, and were not intimidated by moguls. BUT they don't ski themselves! By the end of the day, I was exhausted. I think if I had 20 more pounds, and it was all muscle, and if I was a better skier....

Day 3 {3-4 inches of new snow}: Head Kore 93 (93/171). I really wanted to like these skis -- they look cool, they're lightweight, etc. They were fine in all respects, but there was just no spark (for me). Their light weight did not, for me, translate to playfulness in bumps.

Days 4 & 5 {mixed conditions: still a lot of soft snow in the glades; groomed slopes in varying degrees of firm/scraped}: Blizzard Rustler 9 (92/172). I had requested to try the Atomic Maverick or the Salomon QST, but the demo dudes had neither in my length, and instead suggested the Rustler. It turned out to be my favorite ski of the week. The medal and camber of the inner two-thirds of the skis didn't let me down on steep hard pack. The softer, ample-rise tip and non-catchy tail helped compensate for my limited skills in bumps and trees. I liked the Rustler so much on Day 4 that I kept them on Day 5.

So, now, 3.5 weeks later, with end-of-season sales starting, there are some very good deals out there for the Rustler 9. Here is where Hamlet enters: should I buy them now, not look at any more reviews, and just enjoy them next season? Or, should I wait and ponder other choices over the next several months, secure in the knowledge that the only change from the 2022 to the 2023 Rustler 9 is graphics (from red to green) -- and, of course, no discount? What about possible new competition in the "have your cake and eat it too" segment: e.g., the new Fisher Ranger 92, the Blizzard Hustle? What about the skis already on the market hat I didn't have a chance to try (e.g., the aforementioned Atomics and Salomons, the Elan Ripstick Black)? As Hamlet would say: this way lies madness...

Thoughts welcome.
I've skied with you. The Rustler is a much better fit for you than some of the others you've had in the past, notably including the Kendo. Don't waffle. Get a pair. Sell them later in the unlikely event you don't end up liking them.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January