• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Less need or no need to use a roto brush after?

That is part of the question I'm asking, yes. Or does it just change which brushes you use. I don't want to prejudice answers so I'll stop there.

Does a liquid wax application last more than a day of skiing?

Mine have, even up to 3 days, during some extreme polar vortex jolliness, but then I'm using hot wax base prep and generally the hardest liquids in the respective lines for WoD.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've never used a liquid wax. I'm assuming it's an easier, faster process than using an iron w/fiberlene? Less need or no need to use a roto brush after? Does a liquid wax application last more than a day of skiing?

And has it changed the nature of your roto use, shifting it to polishing?

As @TheArchitect notes, the whole idea of me using liquid waxes are for when I need to take the quick and easy route. So I don't use the rotobrushes when I use the liquid wax. The liquids I use easily brush out in a couple minutes using standard brushes (I use a brass+horsehair combo brush for the quickie jobs). I use the roto mostly when I use hard iron-in waxes.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't thought of liquid wax as an option before. Hmmm. So, at the start of the season do a base prep hot wax, then hot wax with CH7 followed by scraping and brushing. After that use the liquid waxes on top of the CH7 depending on the temperature on a given day. Is that about right?

I see the Swix option which says you only need to hit it with felt after and no brushing. Anyone use this stuff?

RaceWax.com

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks, @PeterMN

I'll check it. I want 140mm or 150mm wide brushes so I can do single passes.

I've looked at that option but others here have mentioned QC issues. What I've been trying to buy is the Sidecut 150mm kit but it's been out of stock for long enough that I'm looking at alternatives.

Everything we sell is guaranteed, regardless of brand. While one always strives to eliminate manufacturing defects, statistically they happen. I've had to replace $300 name-brand irons, name-brand vises, and name-brand rotobrushes. RaceWax, Toko & Swix always stand behind our/their products. Product issues are always quickly resolved.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I haven't thought of liquid wax as an option before. Hmmm. So, at the start of the season do a base prep hot wax, then hot wax with CH7 followed by scraping and brushing. After that use the liquid waxes on top of the CH7 depending on the temperature on a given day. Is that about right?

I see the Swix option which says you only need to hit it with felt after and no brushing. Anyone use this stuff?

I have used that stuff and it's fine for my needs. I'm not super picky about wax out here in CO. The only time I get a bit more focused is when we get really cold temps that require a hard cold wax to keep the skis moving. Other than that, I'm a "universal" guy all the way. I think the liquid waxes can be buffed out with felt, BUT of course that doesn't expose the structure like brushing. Much better off with a quick brush out before skiing any wax. Also, the constant brushing of a ski base actually makes it better over time. A base that's in good condition and that has been regularly brushed still looks great even when all the wax is gone. That's the goal.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used that stuff and it's fine for my needs. I'm not super picky about wax out here in CO. The only time I get a bit more focused is when we get really cold temps that require a hard cold wax to keep the skis moving. Other than that, I'm a "universal" guy all the way. I think the liquid waxes can be buffed out with felt, BUT of course that doesn't expose the structure like brushing. Much better off with a quick brush out before skiing any wax. Also, the constant brushing of a ski base actually makes it better over time. A base that's in good condition and that has been regularly brushed still looks great even when all the wax is gone. That's the goal.

Good info. Thanks! I think I may give liquid a shot this season.

Everything we sell is guaranteed, regardless of brand. While one always strives to eliminate manufacturing defects, statistically they happen. I've had to replace $300 name-brand irons, name-brand vises, and name-brand rotobrushes. RaceWax, Toko & Swix always stand behind our/their products. Product issues are always quickly resolved.

Thanks for posting, @RaceWax.com . I'm sure you can understand that people might be cautious when the price is so low compared to the competition and some users have had QC issues. That said, the price is so good that I'm going to take a chance with your kit and pick up some of the liquid wax as well. I've bought a handful of things from you and have always been happy with the service.

RaceWax.com

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for posting, @RaceWax.com . I'm sure you can understand that people might be cautious when the price is so low compared to the competition and some users have had QC issues. That said, the price is so good that I'm going to take a chance with your kit and pick up some of the liquid wax as well. I've bought a handful of things from you and have always been happy with the service.
If some have had QC issues, they may have been related to my first run of rotobrushes made in China from the same factory that makes XCMAN products. That was the first year I made them. I no longer make them in China. I now source them from a factory in a different country that makes products for name-brands.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If some have had QC issues, they may have been related to my first run of rotobrushes made in China from the same factory that makes XCMAN products. That was the first year I made them. I no longer make them in China. I now source them from a factory in a different country that makes products for name-brands.

That is good to hear. :golfclap:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Received my kit from @RaceWax.com yesterday. I have purchased several items from them in the past. I always like the personal touch of a hand written note from the person fulfilling the order. They included a mask with filter pouch and instructions card. This is the 150mm set. I have a 100mm nylon that I was gifted a few years ago and at work, I use the svst snowboard horse hair roto. Not my first time using roto, but will be first time for all 3 brushes.

The quick connect works well and seems solid. I had to eat my Wheaties to pull the handle off to change brushes. :) I've been told I'm rough on equipment, so I didn't want to break it right away.

I did one pair of skis last night with it and it worked well. First time I have done all 3 brushes with a roto. Now for the other 18 pairs to do.

1606397036577.png

1606397055947.png

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Received my kit from @RaceWax.com yesterday. I have purchased several items from them in the past. I always like the personal touch of a hand written note from the person fulfilling the order. They included a mask with filter pouch and instructions card. This is the 150mm set. I have a 100mm nylon that I was gifted a few years ago and at work, I use the svst snowboard horse hair roto. Not my first time using roto, but will be first time for all 3 brushes.

The quick connect works well and seems solid. I had to eat my Wheaties to pull the handle off to change brushes. :) I've been told I'm rough on equipment, so I didn't want to break it right away.

I did one pair of skis last night with it and it worked well. First time I have done all 3 brushes with a roto. Now for the other 18 pairs to do.

View attachment 115988
View attachment 115989

Mine should be arriving soon. Now I just have to hope all these travel restrictions don't shut me out this season.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine set arrived a few days ago but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. The quality looks pretty good and I appreciate the free racewax mask.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ordered my rotobrush set yesterday and added a scraper sharpener guide today. Looking forward to getting and using it all.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
If the max speed on my drill is 650 rpm do I need a faster drill? DId two pair yesterday with my new Racewax setup and everything seemed good.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If the max speed on my drill is 650 rpm do I need a faster drill? DId two pair yesterday with my new Racewax setup and everything seemed good.

Depends on how pretty you want your ski base. :duck:

Seriously, if it looks good to you. It's good enough.
OTOH, we can always use another more powerful power tool. :ogbiggrin:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier

View attachment 115988
View attachment 115989
So are you a happpy camper? considering this set vs swix (keeping it local) the width is tempting.

Sponsor

Staff online