• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Structure is very important. A base with very little structure to it is like a pane of glass, it will tend to stick to the surface below it. A deeper structure creates grooves for the water to run out of. Of course that will impact the ski's glide when it gets colder.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Structure is very important. A base with very little structure to it is like a pane of glass, it will tend to stick to the surface below it. A deeper structure creates grooves for the water to run out of. Of course that will impact the ski's glide when it gets colder.

I know this, but it's too late to do anything for the 60 degree forecast on Wednesday. But, at least I have wax.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I can’t rotobrush until I clean out my garage. :(

CA9F431E-D831-4B15-99B3-86B33D1437B4.jpeg

Moving sucks!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Received my kit from @RaceWax.com yesterday. I have purchased several items from them in the past. I always like the personal touch of a hand written note from the person fulfilling the order. They included a mask with filter pouch and instructions card. This is the 150mm set. I have a 100mm nylon that I was gifted a few years ago and at work, I use the svst snowboard horse hair roto. Not my first time using roto, but will be first time for all 3 brushes.

The quick connect works well and seems solid. I had to eat my Wheaties to pull the handle off to change brushes. :) I've been told I'm rough on equipment, so I didn't want to break it right away.

I did one pair of skis last night with it and it worked well. First time I have done all 3 brushes with a roto. Now for the other 18 pairs to do.

View attachment 115988
View attachment 115989
One season using this setup. Nothing was broken, my drill and roto have fallen a few times off the table. Very happy with the ease of use.

Thank you @RaceWax.com for a quality product.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I know this, but it's too late to do anything for the 60 degree forecast on Wednesday. But, at least I have wax.

Ahh, but there is. Buy a riller bar and you'll always be able to impart a deeper linear structure that can break the surface tension. That's what I do now instead of having my skis re-ground with a different structure for Spring. Using the riller bar is not nearly as aggressive as a grind structure, so it's easily reversed, but it gets the job done.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Or, you know, just have a second pair of skis :D

But seriously, there are structures that give notable improvement in muck and not much slowness in chalk.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Ahh, but there is. Buy a riller bar and you'll always be able to impart a deeper linear structure that can break the surface tension. That's what I do now instead of having my skis re-ground with a different structure for Spring. Using the riller bar is not nearly as aggressive as a grind structure, so it's easily reversed, but it gets the job done.

Have any suggestions for a home DIY version? No time to wait for delivery this week.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
How about the coarse stone on a Ski Visions base flattener? That's what I do in the Spring.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How about the coarse stone on a Ski Visions base flattener? That's what I do in the Spring.

Not coarse/deep enough for the kind of slush he's gonna be facing - and he'd need a half week of skiing to knock the fuzzies off.

You have better (less compacted and finer) snow with longer aging and longer drainage times than we do down here :) Down here if the ski ain't got at least 12-18 grooves/cm, it's getting well stuck.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Potentially may work, but depends on just how wet the snow becomes. Note that the stones on the SkiVisions tool "tear" at the base (like sandpaper) whereas a riller bar imparts the structure with a cleaner cutting and pressing action that doesn't abrade the surface of the ski bottom. Abraded ski bottoms are slow.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I cut the peak tops off the fresh structure from the SkiVisions tool with a cutting tool and later I'm using a rotobrush. I use the SkiVisions regularly, in fact. The skis are NOT slow. I can't say if your statement about the impact of the tool is wrong or my subsequent work fixes the "issue", but there's not a flat area here that I don't outglide everyone on.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Are brushless drill recommended? My previous drill got (very) hot and died after the 4th pair of ski.

Sponsor

Staff online