• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On this date: Reggie Jackson becomes 'Mr. October'

On October 18, 1977, Reggie Jackson clubs three home runs against the Dodgers in Game 6 of the 1977 World Series to lift the Yankees to the title.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
On this date: Reggie Jackson becomes 'Mr. October'

On October 18, 1977, Reggie Jackson clubs three home runs against the Dodgers in Game 6 of the 1977 World Series to lift the Yankees to the title.
As a life long Yankee fan I remember that 3 home run World Series Game.

Uncle-A

Skier
19 October 1987 also a Monday the NY Stock Exchange dropped over 500 points for what would be know as Black Monday. It cost me more than a few bucks that day.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
19 October 1987 also a Monday the NY Stock Exchange dropped over 500 points for what would be know as Black Monday. It cost me more than a few bucks that day.

Black Monday was NOT FUN! It took a while to recover from that one.

Uncle-A

Skier
Black Monday was NOT FUN! It took a while to recover from that one.
That is for sure, because the 500 points it dropped was a higher percentage of the market than it is today.

James

Out There
Instructor
On this date in 1781 General Washington defeated British General Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown, Virginia sealing the victory for the American colonist in the War for Independence.
Nice. I guess this should really be the Fourth of July. But then we’d have to change school timing, and it gets dark too early to barbecue after shopping for cars or appliances.

800px-Surrender_of_Lord_Cornwallis.jpg

Surrender at Yorktown. John Trumbull

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Party on!
The first Oktoberfest was celebrated in Munich, in the form of a horse race held in honour of the marriage of the crown prince of Bavaria (who later became King Louis I) to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen.
Every body should attend the Oktoberfest at least once
It really is a remarkable festival with 10,000 people able to be seated in the biggest of one of the many beer halls ,The Hofbrauhaus.
Prosit !!

Uncle-A

Skier
24 October 1942
United States Marine Corps Sergeant John Basilone was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in Washington on June 23, 1943 for his actions that began on October 24, 1942. To quote a news report, John Basilone of Raritan, New Jersey was “firing a machine gun and also using a pistol, Basilone piled up 38 Japanese bodies in front of his emplacement on Guadalcanal, October 24th, 25th 1942.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
24 October 1260 my favorite, Notre-Dame de Chartres is dedicated by Louis IX.
possibly the most beautiful windows in the world.

Uncle-A

Skier
24 October 1260 my favorite, Notre-Dame de Chartres is dedicated by Louis IX.
possibly the most beautiful windows in the world.
Any idea of how the rebuild is going in this 2020 world we live in today?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
No idea but I expect it would be continuing, the billions were allocated years ago.
That removal of centuries of grim in sections of the interior contrasting with the remaining you normally associate with a Gothic Cathedral is a remarkable sight to see.
Won't be long before the light coming through the windows is as vivid as Barcelona's modern Sagrada Familia.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
In 2018, a gunman shot and killed 11 congregants and wounded six others at Pittsburgh's Tree of Life synagogue in the deadliest attack on Jews in U.S. history; authorities said the suspect, Robert Bowers, raged against Jews during and after the rampage.

An event that shook this city into the cruel realization of the worst of 21st. Century violence.

Sponsor

Staff online