• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
18 November 1928 the movie character Steamboat Willie was released and the world first was introduced to Mickey Mouse.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
On this date in 1758, General John Forbes led 3 battalions of British Regulars, Provincial Militia, and members of the Cherokee and Catawba tribes on an assault of the French Fort Duquesne at the Forks of the Ohio capturing the smoldering fort that had just been abandon and set on fire by the French thus securing the future capital of Steelers Nation. One battalion was led by a Lt. Colonel of the Virginia Provincials by the name of George Washinton.

Uncle-A

Skier
7 December 1941 a date that will live in infamy...

It is a sad place to visit, I remember growing up, December 7th was a big deal, and sometime in the mid 1990's it was played down. Very Sad. I hope the same doesn't happen to September 11th.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the same time on the other side of the dateline Japan attacked Hong Cong and the newly arrived Canadian reinforcements.

Canada already at war for 2 years now declared war on Japan immediately.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It is a sad place to visit, I remember growing up, December 7th was a big deal, and sometime in the mid 1990's it was played down. Very Sad. I hope the same doesn't happen to September 11th.
Personally, I don't find it sad that tragedies fade over time. I understand the importance, and the remembrance. But I also think one of the amazing things we do as people and society is to move forward, and allow things to fade and not define us - not forget them, but understand that they're one part of the past and we've learned from them. I do hope the world is good enough in the future that September 11th reduces in importance and fades similarly.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
So wish that we would learn from the past. Read up a little on 1917 and compare it. We as a society ignored the teachings of all those deaths and we are doing it again.
A joy of a historian is that they have a fair idea what is coming, the sorrow of a historian is that they have a fair idea of what is coming.

Uncle-A

Skier
Personally, I don't find it sad that tragedies fade over time. I understand the importance, and the remembrance. But I also think one of the amazing things we do as people and society is to move forward, and allow things to fade and not define us - not forget them, but understand that they're one part of the past and we've learned from them. I do hope the world is good enough in the future that September 11th reduces in importance and fades similarly.
The problem with this is that the things we learn from the tragedy are forgotten by the young. That means we will be doomed to repeat what the young never learned to respect. Someone once said that we are just one generation away from losing our freedoms. That is why we should never forget.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I just finished watching Ken Burns's 7 episode series, "The War." As many documentaries as I have seen about WWII, the subject still resonates as the archetypal story of good versus evil. Sure, there may have been wrongs committed by the Allies (in the US, the Japanese internment camps come to mind), but the unalloyed evil of the Nazis and the sheer inhumanity of the Japanese toward the conquered and the captured could not stand.
I hope we never forget the legacy of the greatest generation, nor should we cavalierly surrender our democratic ideals to demagogues, now or ever, because we have seen what can happen. And it can happen again.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As a young man my dad was a midshipman at the US Naval Academy on Dec 7th, as an old man he babysat my kids when they were dismissed unexpectedly early from school on Sep 11th.
The house he was living in when I picked my kids up on the afternoon of Sep 11th was about five miles from the Pentagon. When I saw him that day I'll never forget the reaction coming from someone who had experienced both events. He blurted out, "Jim, it's just like Pearl Harbor!"

New day in history: Dec 8, 1980 John Lennon shot and killed. Sad, sad day.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
As a young man my dad was a midshipman at the US Naval Academy on Dec 7th, as an old man he babysat my kids when they were dismissed unexpectedly early from school on Sep 11th.
The house he was living in when I picked my kids up on the afternoon of Sep 11th was about five miles from the Pentagon. When I saw him that day I'll never forget the reaction coming from someone who had experienced both events. He blurted out, "Jim, it's just like Pearl Harbor!"
I am guessing that when your dad graduated the Naval Academy he was sent directly to the war zone. Thank You for his service.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Chuck Yeager passed. Yesterday marked the end of an era; he was the 1at man to exceed the speed of sound. He was an aviation ledged and pioneer in the 50's and 60's. Some of his planes are in the Smithsonian.
A life well lived.
“Everyone knew the name of the individual who ranked foremost in the Olympus, the ace of all the aces, as it were, among the true brothers of the right stuff.” Tom Wolfe, “The Right Stuff”

Uncle-A

Skier
John Lennon was shot and killed in NYC.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Sandy Hoax now 8 years behind us. Still paying for it everyday in CT.

Last edited: