• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Jimmy Who?
Yes, he was a studio guitarist for The Who along with the Stones, Kinks, Them, Donovan, Joe Cocker & many, many more. He even played guitar on Shirley Bassey’s Goldfinger & you can’t even hear a guitar.

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks. 1944
I am just listening to Chris Carter’s British invasion on SiriusXM Underground Garage. I am always amazed at how many popular & not so popular recordings & artists he was a session player for during the 60’s.
You should get that new book on Led Zepplin. I heard part of an interview with the author. He was working six days a week as a session guitarist in his late teens. He made more money at the time than his parents combined. He turned away two? offers to join the YardBirds because of that and that he was friends with Clapton who left with strong differences. He recommended Jeff Beck.
In looking for something, this came up. Tangerine was dedicated to DeShannon by Page but the song has an initial history with the Yardbirds.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You should get that new book on Led Zepplin. I heard part of an interview with the author. He was working six days a week as a session guitarist in his late teens. He made more money at the time than his parents combined. He turned away two? offers to join the YardBirds because of that and that he was friends with Clapton who left with strong differences. He recommended Jeff Beck.
In looking for something, this came up. Tangerine was dedicated to DeShannon by Page but the song has an initial history with the Yardbirds.

Thanks for sharing this, I didn't know about the connection between these two artists. It does seem like a strange combination of people. I remember her for her work and it was nothing like anything JP has been involved with. Live and Learn something new each day.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
9 January 2007
Apple introduced the first iphone.
I remember reading an interview from Steve Jobs shortly after the reveal when he was being mocked by Mike Lazaridis, the founder and vice chairman of BlackBerry at the time, saying that "We've been making phones since the 1960s for the military, he thinks he can do it overnight?"

Steve's reply was, (paraphrasing)"Its not meant to be a phone, its a hand held computer with a phone app."
Wish I could find that interview/article.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
I remember reading an interview from Steve Jobs shortly after the reveal when he was being mocked by Mike Lazaridis, the founder and vice chairman of BlackBerry at the time, saying that "We've been making phones since the 1960s for the military, he thinks he can do it overnight?"

Steve's reply was, "Its not meant to be a phone, its a hand held computer with a phone app."
Wish I could find that interview/article.

It is interesting that you mentioned BlackBerry, I think they just closed down the entire network and went out of business.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is interesting that you mentioned BlackBerry, I think they just closed down the entire network and went out of business.
While looking for the article that I recall but couldn't find, I stumbled upon this one.

I like the quote in the article from the book Losing the Signal
The next day Mr. Lazaridis grabbed his co-CEO Jim Balsillie at the office and pulled him in front of a computer.

"Jim, I want you to watch this," he said, pointing to a webcast of the iPhone unveiling. "They put a full Web browser on that thing. The carriers aren’t letting us put a full browser on our products."

Mr. Balsillie’s first thought was RIM was losing AT&T as a customer.

"Apple’s got a better deal," Mr. Balsillie said. "We were never allowed that. The U.S. market is going to be tougher."

"These guys are really, really good," Mr. Lazaridis replied. "This is different."

"It’s OK—we’ll be fine," Mr. Balsillie responded.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think they just closed down the entire network and went out of business.
They didn't go out of business... but they did quit making phones. They have shifted focus back to software, and provide enterprise/corporate security and interface software. My company uses it for all of our work phone email/IM/browsing activity.

Uncle-A

Skier
13 January 1968
Johnny Cash plays a concert at Folsom Prison records it live and puts out the album. This was a big boost to his career and making him into a big country star.

Uncle-A

Skier
16 January 1919
The 18th Amendment to the Constitution ratification today. Just for those not familiar with the US Constitution that is the start of prohibition, it lasted until 5 December 1933.

Uncle-A

Skier
24 January 1935
The American Can Company and the Kruger Brewering Company debuted the first sale of beer in cans. I think it was rolled out in the state of Virginia.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
1967 Apollo I
1024px-Apollo1-Crew_01.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Ooh, bad day. Likely never would’ve got to the moon without major changes forced by the tragedy.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was in the shower getting ready for class.. Room mate was watching it. I was ... ho humm just another shuttle launch.. Then he starts screaming like the apartment was on fire. I wish it had just been the apartment..

I was doing homework in my dorm. I remember when the whole thing went wrong and for a few seconds the voice on tv was still reading the telemetry or whatever while I'm watching smoke thinking "that doesn't look right". Awful.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
... and apparently a number (? all) of the Challenger astronauts were alive and some must have been conscious due to some safety procedures undertaken until the debris hit the ocean. Absolutely ghastly. Mind you, Grissom, Chaffee and White started the procedures to get out of Apollo 1 before the pressurized oxygen inferno got them. So two days of truly appalling memories related to NASA.

Sponsor

Staff online