• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This was also the date where Babe Ruth poinyed out the centerfield wall and proceeded to hit over there. The Yankees won and proceeded to win the world series.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
In 1582 people went bed on the 4th and woke up on October 15th.

The Gregorian calendar
is the calendar used in most of the world. It was introduced in October 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII as a modification of, and replacement for, the Julian calendar.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In 1582 people went bed on the 4th and woke up on October 15th.

Not many of them spoke English tho - Elizabeth Tudor was rather keen on setting her intelligencers on the ones that did.

Britain and the colonies didn't change over until the mid-18th century, right around when Franklin flew his kite.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
5 October 1789 (yes, new calendar): Women's march on Versailles to protest the price of bread.

If Marie-Antoinette had actually said 'Let them eat cake', this would have been a top occasion. Of course, we have no evidence she ever did.

James

Out There
Instructor
12 October 1997
John Denver dies in plane crash off Monterey, CA

EBFFE0C6-2D32-48BC-AD04-F240FF4362F2.jpeg

The plane type

—————————
Probable Cause: The pilot's diversion of attention from the operation of the airplane and his inadvertent application of right rudder that resulted in the loss of airplane control while attempting to manipulate the fuel selector handle. Also, the Board determined that the pilot's inadequate preflight planning and preparation, specifically his failure to refuel the airplane, was causal. The Board determined that the builder's decision to locate the unmarked fuel selector handle in a hard-to-access position, unmarked fuel quantity sight gauges, inadequate transition training by the pilot, and his lack of total experience in this type of airplane were factors in the accident.
———————

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
12 October 1997

, inadequate transition training by the pilot, and his lack of total experience in this type of airplane were factors in the accident.
———————

...could be a complete canard...:duck:

James

Out There
Instructor
...could be a complete canard...:duck:
Lots of fatals in that homebuilt airplane, but seemingly a very cool design.

Denver ran out of gas in the tank the engine was using, and presumably, in attempting the body gyrations needed for turning the tank switch, he applied right rudder and nose dived into the bay. He was well below minimum altitude, (1k ft), prob below 500ft, because he buzzed Clint Eastwood’s house. Had he not rejected the offer to fill the tanks before leaving, none of this would’ve happened and the switch location would’ve been moved when he was away on tour.

The guy who built the plane moved the fuel line location so it wouldn’t run underneath the cockpit. To be safer for a possible belly landing. (Even though it’s protected) In doing so, he created a ridiculous, and dangerous, situation to change the fuel tank the engine is using.

So, solving for a rare, and uncertain, hazard, he created a certain and constant hazard.

Interesting info in this-

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
October 13th, 1307 the Knights Templer are taken down for having the wrong people owe them too much money.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
12 October 1997

View attachment 180472
The plane type

—————————
Probable Cause: The pilot's diversion of attention from the operation of the airplane and his inadvertent application of right rudder that resulted in the loss of airplane control while attempting to manipulate the fuel selector handle. Also, the Board determined that the pilot's inadequate preflight planning and preparation, specifically his failure to refuel the airplane, was causal. The Board determined that the builder's decision to locate the unmarked fuel selector handle in a hard-to-access position, unmarked fuel quantity sight gauges, inadequate transition training by the pilot, and his lack of total experience in this type of airplane were factors in the accident.
———————
I hadn't realized it was that long ago until I saw a news report on it.
He had some really fun tunes to listen to while skiing.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I wonder if he and Hansi ever got together. I know that Hansi used to go to the Celebrity ski race in Heavenly so it seems logical that they would have at least met.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1813: The second day of the battle of Leipzig.

The Russians, Prussians and Austrians held off Napoleon's effort to smash them piecemeal yesterday and are getting the grinder ready to push the French, Saxons, Italians and Poles back across the Rhine and out of Germany for good.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were on day two of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Kennedy found out about the missiles on Cuba on the 16th. Lasted a very hairy 13 days.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We were on day two of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Kennedy found out about the missiles on Cuba on the 16th. Lasted a very hairy 13 days.
I remember it well, I was in Highschool. The teachers had a ruff time keeping the kids calm, at least the kids that kept us on every day events. My history teacher was very worried and he shared a lot of his concerns with the class.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Was in elementary school living off base in Japan ( Dad was Air Force). A copter flew over flying an American flag underneath. All of thought that was weird. No one had ever told us that was the signal to rally at the base. We all learned what it meant the next day.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
6 November 1860

Election Day for Abraham Lincoln.

Sponsor

Staff online