• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
April 12, 1934 - The Big Wind.

The weather station up there is an interesting place. I was fortunate enough to be on a video conference with them back around 2002 when a school I was teaching in was using the video setup as a teaching aid. They were talking about that they have the longest continuous collection of weather records in the country. One of the questions I asked was how much of a variation of temperature have they recorded over the last 100 years? At the time they said no more than one degree warmer than 100 years ago. That surprise me with all the talk at the time about global warming.

James

Out There
Instructor
Designer of the mini-skirt dies. Was put on a stamp in 2008.

BBF75215-3121-4B7B-8FFB-4AC81B4D4B42.jpeg

Mary Quant, British Fashion Revolutionary, Dies at 93​

April 13, 2023 NY Times
By Penelope Green

79032DA9-A3F5-42C2-98B9-D1983B046740.jpeg

Mary Quant at work in London in 1963. Her boutique in the heart of Chelsea was filled with “a bouillabaisse of clothes and accessories.”Credit...Associated Press

—————
…A decade later, Mary Quant was a global brand, with licenses all over the world — she was named an officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1966 for her contribution to British exports — and sales that would soon reach $20 million. When she toured the United States with a new collection, she was greeted like a fifth Beatle; at one point she required police protection. Newspapers eagerly printed her aperçus and declarations: “Quant Expects Higher Hem,” The Associated Press declared in the winter of 1966, adding that Ms. Quant had “predicted today that the miniskirt was here to stay.”
——————

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Designer of the mini-skirt dies. Was put on a stamp in 2008.

View attachment 200428

Mary Quant, British Fashion Revolutionary, Dies at 93​

April 13, 2023 NY Times
By Penelope Green

View attachment 200422
Mary Quant at work in London in 1963. Her boutique in the heart of Chelsea was filled with “a bouillabaisse of clothes and accessories.”Credit...Associated Press

—————
…A decade later, Mary Quant was a global brand, with licenses all over the world — she was named an officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1966 for her contribution to British exports — and sales that would soon reach $20 million. When she toured the United States with a new collection, she was greeted like a fifth Beatle; at one point she required police protection. Newspapers eagerly printed her aperçus and declarations: “Quant Expects Higher Hem,” The Associated Press declared in the winter of 1966, adding that Ms. Quant had “predicted today that the miniskirt was here to stay.”
——————
She made the world a better place.
Thank you Mary Quant.

Uncle-A

Skier
18 April 1955

Albert Einstein passed away.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been looking back 3 years to everyone's SIP projects.

Uncle-A

Skier
22 April 1936

Glenn Campbell is born.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
22 April 1915. Second battle of Ypres starts. The Germans use chlorine gas against the French, Algerians and Canadians.

It works -sort of- until it doesn't.

And the winning is enough to drive development. Drive? Turbo-overdrive. The real chemistry war starts, to where by 1917 they would have three or more tiered gas attacks. Imagine a heavier-than-air settling gas to get troops out of bunkers, a mucuous membrane and skin-attack itcher to get them to abandon protective clothing and gear, and a nerve agent for the actual kill. Unlike at Ypres, these would be delivered by fuzed artillery shells. Of course, you also need to develop artillery fuzes :)

French artillery doctrine (heavy on 75mm field guns, very low on howitzers) and the fact that most of their chemical industry was in or near the war zone means they never really catch up. The Brits and Germans have neither of these problems.

Uncle-A

Skier
30 April 1975

End of the Vietnam War. A War that still plagues today.

Uncle-A

Skier
5 May 1973

50 years ago today Secretariat wins the Kentucky Derby in record time. The record time still stands to this day.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
5 May 1973

50 years ago today Secretariat wins the Kentucky Derby in record time. The record time still stands to this day.
What is going on at Churchill Downs? They lost 3 horses in one week? Don't know if any were Derby entries but that is not good.

Uncle-A

Skier
What is going on at Churchill Downs? They lost 3 horses in one week? Don't know if any were Derby entries but that is not good.
I think the three horse were from one breeder not anything to do with the race track. The same breeder scratched other horses just not to risk other horses in the race.

Uncle-A

Skier
17 May 1998

David Wells pitches a perfect game for the New York Yankees. 27 batters up and 27 outs. Only 3 days before his birthday the 20th of May.

Uncle-A

Skier
23 May 1943

The battleship New Jersey is commissioned and enters WW II.

Sponsor

Staff online