• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

James

Out There
Instructor
Neil Armstrong’s Moon over boots x-ray. Taken just over a week before launch.

"We x-rayed all of the suits, we x-rayed all those things to verify that there were no sharp objects left in them during the manufacturing process, make sure the zippers, when they zipped them up, the seal would form perfectly into the zippered threads"

www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/6366973807/in/photostream

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Buzz was my dad's room mate and best friend at USMA. They kept in contact and connected at multiple class reunions until my dad passed in 2006

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
4 August 1790
The birth of the US Coast Guard.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
August 4 1914.
Britian declares war on Germany.
Thousands cheer, millions die.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
16 Years ago, Barry Bonds hit his 756th home run.

Uncle-A

Skier
8 August 1974

Richard Nixon resigned as the President of the United States.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Missed by a day, but on August 11, 2014 Robin Williams sad death.

We need to be more sympathetic to mental health and terminal illness.

American actor and comedian, Robin Williams (Mork & Mindy, Jumanji, Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting), commits suicide by hanging himself at 63.
Robin McLaurin Williams (July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014) was an American actor and comedian. Known for his improvisational skills and the wide variety of characters he created on the spur of the moment and portrayed on film, in dramas and comedies alike, he is regarded as one of the greatest comedians of all time. He received numerous accolades including an Academy Award, two Primetime Emmy Awards, six Golden Globe Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and five Grammy Awards.
Williams began performing stand-up comedy in San Francisco and Los Angeles during the mid-1970s, and released several comedy albums including Reality ... What a Concept in 1980. He rose to fame playing the alien Mork in the ABC sitcom Mork & Mindy (1978–1982). He received his first leading film role in Popeye (1980). Williams went on to win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for Good Will Hunting (1997). His other Oscar-nominated roles were for Good Morning, Vietnam (1987), Dead Poets Society (1989), and The Fisher King (1991).
Williams starred in the critically acclaimed dramas The World According to Garp (1982), Moscow on the Hudson (1984), Dead Poets Society (1989), Awakenings (1990), Patch Adams (1998), Insomnia (2002), One Hour Photo (2002), and World's Greatest Dad (2009). He also starred in family films such as Hook (1991), Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), Jumanji (1995), Jack (1996), Flubber (1997), RV (2006), and the Night at the Museum trilogy (2006–2014). He lent his voice to the animated films Aladdin (1992), Robots (2005), Happy Feet (2006), and its 2011 sequel.
Williams was found dead at his home in Paradise Cay, California on August 11, 2014, at the age of 63. At the time of his suicide, he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. According to his widow, Williams had experienced depression, anxiety, and increasing paranoia. His autopsy found "diffuse Lewy body disease" and Lewy body dementia professionals said his symptoms were consistent with dementia with Lewy bodies.
He Is Missed.

James

Out There
Instructor
& at one time I considered him the funniest man alive! Also a Tahoe skier…
:Teleb:
I remember hearing a story after he died from a guy who delivered furniture to Robin Williams house. They had to carry it up stairs, and Williams had them laughing so hard they couldn’t carry it. They told him he had to go away till they got it in place.

Uncle-A

Skier
16 August 1962
Pete Best gets fired by The Beatles.

James

Out There
Instructor
16 August 1962
Pete Best gets fired by The Beatles.
It’s amazing there’s still talk of that. He apparently was terrible. He got a fair amount of money though after the box set was released in the 2000’s?

Uncle-A

Skier
It’s amazing there’s still talk of that. He apparently was terrible. He got a fair amount of money though after the box set was released in the 2000’s?
Yes, he wasn't a good drummer. Not sure about any financial matters though.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s amazing there’s still talk of that. He apparently was terrible.
Yeah, I'm always curious about that. I wonder if people think the Beatles still would have been everything they were, if they'd kept Best instead of getting Ringo? As though drummers are unimportant and can be freely swapped, and Best got a raw deal because of that?

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, I'm always curious about that. I wonder if people think the Beatles still would have been everything they were, if they'd kept Best instead of getting Ringo? As though drummers are unimportant and can be freely swapped, and Best got a raw deal because of that?
I saw a good youtube vid where some obsessive fan researched the hell out of it. Something like 3 producers refused to use Best in studio. The only reason he was the drummer in the first place was his mom had a club under their house they played in.

McCartney says (on Howard Stern?) they were wimps to not fire him themselves, they had the manager do it.

They didn’t publicly say at the time he sucked though, so they did him a favor that way. Otherwise, he’d just be known around the world as a bad drummer.

Instead we’ve had ridiculous theories for decades.

McCartney on who caused the breakup of the Beatles-

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
What makes you think drummers are unimportant? BTW Best wasn't that good and Ringo was better.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
Aug 16,1977 Elvis left the building for the last time.

Sponsor

Staff online