• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Unknown-1.jpeg

...50 years ago today

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
28 August 1963 Martin Luther King Jr gives the I HAVE A DREAM SPEECH in Washington DC.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Democratic National Convention in Chicago, IL The Chicago Seven and all that. It was very much about the Vietnam War, and it was not peaceful.

Uncle-A

Skier
The Democratic National Convention in Chicago, IL The Chicago Seven and all that. It was very much about the Vietnam War, and it was not peaceful.
I remember it well. Mayor Richard J Daley sent the police to break up the antiwar demonstration.

Uncle-A

Skier
2 September 1945

The formal surrender by the Japanese, ending Would War ll.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This fits today

Do you ever wonder who first thought of Labor Day?
Labor Day has its roots in the late 1800s, when labor unions began to organize strikes and rallies to protest poor working conditions and demand fair pay. On September 5, 1882, 10,000 workers took unpaid time off to march in New York City; this is considered the first Labor Day parade. The idea of a “workingmen’s holiday” caught on and many states passed legislation for it, but Congress didn’t legalize the holiday until 12 years later, in the wake of the violence and unrest that followed the 1894 strike by Pullman Palace Car Company employees. The American Railroad Union reacted to the strike by calling for a boycott, which crippled railroad traffic across the nation. The federal government dispatched troops to Chicago to break the strike and a wave of bloody riots resulted. In an attempt to repair ties with American workers, Congress made Labor Day a legal holiday, which President Cleveland signed into law on June 28, 1894. While we still don’t know the true founder of Labor Day, many credit either Peter J. McGuire, cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, or Matthew Maguire, a secretary of the Central Labor Union, as the person who first proposed the federal holiday. Today, Labor Day pays tribute to the contributions and achievements of American workers. Observed on the first Monday in September, it is typically celebrated with family get-togethers and is often considered a mark of the end of summer.​

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On this day in history, Elias Howe invented the lockstitch sewing machine.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I went to work early on 9/11/2001. I was the first one there and the only one who showed up. Spent the morning answering phones as everyone else called in "shocked". Clients called to cancel the meetings scheduled that day or at least to ask if they were still on, of course they weren't. Rest of the day listening to NPR on a radio, no TV and the internet was un usable that day. Wife was home sick and I asked her to start the DVR recording when the 2nd plane hit. I still have a DVD of 8 hours of raw, live footage from the local ABC channel that horrific day.

1694389482154.png

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I, too remember the day. I was teaching school then. On the West Coast it happened just as we arrived for the school day. The TV in the library was tuned into the coverage and we watched, stunned, as the second tower came down. Nobody moved, and then one of the more experienced teachers said that the kids would soon be there and we had to keep it together for their sake. We went back to our classrooms and ran the day's program, not knowing what was going on, but determined to make our students' day as normal as possible. It was a really difficult day.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went to work early on 9/11/2001. I was the first one there and the only one who showed up. Spent the morning answering phones as everyone else called in "shocked". Clients called to cancel the meetings scheduled that day or at least to ask if they were still on, of course they weren't. Rest of the day listening to NPR on a radio, no TV and the internet was un usable that day. Wife was home sick and I asked her to start the DVR recording when the 2nd plane hit. I still have a DVD of 8 hours of raw, live footage from the local ABC channel that horrific day.

View attachment 210916
I made a stencil of "Let's Roll" and spray painted it onto my kevlar/helmet in 2007. Never forget...

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Was at an RV Show in Portland just South of the River and West of I-5. It was a set-up day and still in the motel. Watched it unfolding like everyone else in total disbelief and absolute shock. Met my crew at breakfast and we decided the best thing we could do was go to the Expo hall and work to stay busy. Had a TV on in each coach to keep up to date on the happenings.
I set up a display of a folded American Flag and roses over a blue table clothe. It made us feel better.
We were about a mile from the west end of Portland Int Airport, it was so strange to hear only fighters going in and out. Comforting for me, that is a sound of freedom having been raised on Air Force Bases. It was so comforting to hear the commercial planes start flying again.
It was a very dark time.

Uncle-A

Skier
16 September 1969
One of the most famous dog TV Stars "Lassie" passed away. Yes I know that there have been several dogs that have played Lassie over the years but this one was the one I grew up watching on TV.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
16 September 1969
One of the most famous dog TV Stars "Lassie" passed away. Yes I know that there have been several dogs that have played Lassie over the years but this one was the one I grew up watching on TV.
Was this the event that turned Little Timmie to drinking? Heard he fell down the well one last time and there was no one to save him.
So sad.

Uncle-A

Skier
6 November 1869

The first American football game took place in New Jersey, Rutgers vs Princeton.

Sponsor

Staff online