• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

James

Out There
Instructor
Today in 2005 Hurricane Katrina destroyed the New Orleans area.

Today, Hurricane Ida is trying to do the same slightly further west. Still a Cat 2 well inland.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
30 August 1930

Warren Buffett was born.

James

Out There
Instructor
The infamous Bartman game for the Chicago Cubs. In which nearly an entire city has mass hysteria over a fan trying to catch a foul ball. They blame the fan for the team losing a 3-0 lead with 5 outs to go, as the Cubs give up 5 runs on 8 hits to lose. Their chances for the World Series gone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
14 October 1947 Chuck Yeager test pilot breaks the sound barrier.
How fitting is it that Captain Kirk was all over the news today?

Uncle-A

Skier
How fitting is it that Captain Kirk was all over the news today?
It is fun to think of a 90 year old actor going into space. I wonder if he had to pay full price for the ride or if part of the deal was for publicity? As far as Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier it was said that he also wanted to go into space. He tried to be one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts but they didn't accept him maybe because he was too famous and a bit of a risk taker.

James

Out There
Instructor
He tried to be one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts but they didn't accept him maybe because he was too famous and a bit of a risk taker.
He didn’t go to college. Was not eligible without a degree.

Uncle-A

Skier
I wonder how much effect Rickover's nuclear navy had on NASA when that requirement was set.
I'm pretty sure you didn't need to have a college degree to be on a nuclear vessel.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Had a very close family friend who was a test pilot at Edwards in "The Right Stuff" era. Think they all must have had a few screws loose to be in those programs back then.

Frank would do stuff I would not even consider, and I was 30 years younger than him. But a great man to have as an unrelated uncle. Miss him dearly.

Uncle-A

Skier
Had a very close family friend who was a test pilot at Edwards in "The Right Stuff" era. Think they all must have had a few screws loose to be in those programs back then.

Frank would do stuff I would not even consider, and I was 30 years younger than him. But a great man to have as an unrelated uncle. Miss him dearly.
One of the things we don't hear much today is people calling family friends Uncle and Aunt. It was a sign of respect for family friends to call them that. I remember family friends of my parents that I called aunt and uncle it was just something we did automatically. They have all past on by now but you do miss them. Thanks for reminding me of such social graces.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
One of the things we don't hear much today is people calling family friends Uncle and Aunt.
Growing up an Air Force brat around fighter pilots in the 50's and 60's there were a few families that ended up being closer than family. It is just how that world was. Cell phones and computers have made some really major changes in the fabric of social life in the past 40 years.

Sponsor