• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

James

Out There
Instructor
1969 we landed on the moon
Still probably the most amazing engineering and organizational feat in history. Going from a rocket the size of a lift tower to the huge Saturn V carrying the LEM. All in like 8 years. Just crazy.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Still probably the most amazing engineering and organizational feat in history. Going from a rocket the size of a lift tower to the huge Saturn V carrying the LEM. All in like 8 years. Just crazy.
I watched this sitting in front of our B&W TV.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I was unable to watch the landing since I was at the Boy Scout National Jamboree in Faragut, ID with 35,000 other Boy Scouts from across the country. We sat at our picnic table listening to the coverage on a transistor radio and when "Houston, the Eagle has landed" came over the air we started yelling and then the entire encampment roared like I've never heard. We thought we were the only ones who had a radio in camp, but it seems that everyone else had one too. 35,000 boys all screaming at the top of their lungs and spread out over a wide area was an unreal experience!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I watched this sitting in front of our B&W TV.
I did the same on a Sunday night in 1969 in front of a Black and White TV. I was still living at home, my mom and I stayed up to watch the entire video.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
expect everyone remembers where they were or what they were doing.

My parents were out of town and I had one of "those" high school parties the night before.
Fairly large group still there the next day in various conditions, but no one missed it..

James

Out There
Instructor
I was at Cape Canaveral maybe 10 yrs ago in late fall, so not many people there. Did a tour and you get bused out to among other things a building where they have the Saturn V displayed horizontally, with gaps in the stages. You can walk under the huge F1 engines which by their mere presence convey incredible power. Seeing the stages up close with the thousands of parts it’s just amazing the thing actually worked.
And it was done during the height of the Vietnam War.

Probably the most impressive man made object I’ve seen, and amongst any sights, it’s up there with the Grand Canyon.

How to get it to the launch pad??
Oh… just assemble it in a building so big rain clouds can form in it, then drive the whole thing attached to the launch tower, out to the pad. Completely nuts.

4860002E-0C2D-4FB5-878B-356C381C1312.jpeg

March of the Brobdingnagian creation

3BEA40A5-AD47-4478-9D88-63644A0EB8B3.jpeg

7.5 km/sec = 16,777 mph
Source

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I heard a story about a couple of guys who delivered a piece of furniture to Robin Williams’s house. Robin starts joking with them as soon as they get in the door. Soon he has them laughing so hard they couldn’t carry the piece up the stairs and had to tell him to stop.

He also had a very early podcast before podcasts were a thing. Early 2000’s. He interviewed all sorts of people. Generally serious, but he’s always making jokes. I heard one where in the midst of this he does accents, going around the world from one to the other, west to east. I believe Audible owns all those recordings.

Uncle-A

Skier
I heard a story about a couple of guys who delivered a piece of furniture to Robin Williams’s house. Robin starts joking with them as soon as they get in the door. Soon he has them laughing so hard they couldn’t carry the piece up the stairs and had to tell him to stop.

He also had a very early podcast before podcasts were a thing. Early 2000’s. He interviewed all sorts of people. Generally serious, but he’s always making jokes. I heard one where in the midst of this he does accents, going around the world from one to the other, west to east. I believe Audible owns all those recordings.
I have heard interviews with his coworkers that he was never "off" he would always joking with everyone. Some thought it was because he had difficulty with being accepted for being himself. I don't know how accurate that is but it was so sad to lose a great talent like his.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
I have heard interviews with his coworkers that he was never "off" he would always joking with everyone. Some thought it was because he had difficulty with being accepted for being himself. I don't know how accurate that is but it was so sad to lose a great talent like his.
"I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make people happy. Because they know what it feels like to feel absolutely worthless and they don't want anybody else to feel like that." - Robin Williams

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
9 years ago we lost one of the best mustaches in TV/Movies

Dennis_Farina.jpg

What was your favorite Dennis Farina role?

James

Out There
Instructor
He was into cycling, was friends with Lance. He owned 60 bicycles. Went to the Tour de France a few times and entertained the Postal Team on the bus.
F1504D17-1623-4B1D-8ED4-23148222C407.jpeg

Making them laugh on the bike.

Uncle-A

Skier
27 July, Every Year

National New Jersey Day

Sponsor

Staff online