• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Toggenburg Ski Area to Close

spoofer

Putting on skis
Skier
Mod note, FYI: This is in upstate New York.
Just announced we are losing one of our local ski areas. Loved by many locals. Best Restaurant and Bar scene in the local ski scene. The Foggy Goggle is there. Peter Harris the owner of Song and Labrador Mnts. has bought them out. He has just opened a new Bar and Restaurant at Song. Heuga's Alpine. The reviews are strong and the food is above average. Lines were out the door on a recent Friday night.
I think this move to close Togg is as much about the food $ as anything else. We are Blessed with more ski areas in this area then anywhere in the East. Just hate to lose one of them. Hopefully Song, Lab, Greek, and the many smaller local areas can continue to survive these treacherous times.

Last edited by a moderator:

alvinabish

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yes, I've also been to Song Mountain Resort many times, it's a pity that this is happening to him now. I remember when I first arrived there, about 2 years ago. It was the very first ski resort that I visited in my life. I remember how I tried to persuade all my friends to come with me, because they are not ski lovers. I have been dreaming of skiing and snowboarding for a very long time, and for my sake they went with me. I remember how we chose where to go on Blue House Skis and chose Song Resort. I got up on skis for the first time and fell, rolled on my stomach in the snow. It was great and it's not to forget, it's a pity that often the places that you cherish disappear or become worse. I would really like to believe that everything will become as before.

Last edited:

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hopefully Song, Lab, Greek, and the many smaller local areas can continue to survive these treacherous times.

Just so none of them or Elk have an exit strategy that includes selling out to Vail as i believe some southern PA hills have.
Greek's business model already acts like a "big time" resort. To be fair it's been bust a couple times in the past decades & they do put a lot into their terrain. OTOH the rest of the local areas realize that locals and families make or break them, and they work to earn it.

TS
spoofer

spoofer

Putting on skis
Skier
Song and Lab were so packed today that I couldn't find a place to park or sit to boot up. Hardly any one was masked and it was a real s%#t show. I left and went home to wait for tonights storm. Heading to Vermont for 5 days in less than a week and didn't feel like catching anything.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Song and Lab were so packed today that I couldn't find a place to park or sit to boot up. Hardly any one was masked and it was a real s%#t show. I left and went home to wait for tonights storm. Heading to Vermont for 5 days in less than a week and didn't feel like catching anything.

I'm in the "masters in motion" classat Lab on wednesdays, and find it difficult to ski 2 days in a row. Age, and logistics getting up there. I try to do at least 2 days/week, though. So despite hating to ski on weekends, I was afraid the weather would be tough driving today, and Tuesday was out for related reason. So i did go up Sunday and had a great time. The singles line shoots you by the rest of the mass. They opened the T-bar beside the triple chair around 1:30/2 PM which most of the younger crowd seem to love. So that halved the main liftline. Also, after the mid- morning races, the crowd diminished slightly. If you take a thermos, bag your lunch, & stick to the old mini-lodge, people there were almost all masked up, they all were socially distanced (uncrowded) & the old coin lockers are only 50 cents instead of $4 - $5 depending on peak pricing for the computer units in the base of the main lodge. Only gripe there was no towels in the restroom until about 4 PM....

Can't say you made the wrong decision, esp, if you are close enough to get over today. (Wish i could, instead of running the snow blower here. :) )But there are ways around the crowds.

smt

Last edited:

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
There were plenty of ways for Intermountain to accomplish what they wanted to do (close Toggenburg) without attracting the ire of the AG. Unfortunately, ski areas close frequently. Had they made anything resembling a good faith effort to run it for a season or two then said: "sorry, we lost SO MUCH MONEY!" before they closed it down and built houses, people would be sad but generally understanding.