• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Toko brush cannot take...water?

macumbed

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So, I detuned a new toko steel brush on concrete, and to remove the durty I just washed on water and soap before use for the first time. The result: Cracks everywhere. Did I do something wrong? Is a brush of $100 supposed to not be water proof omegalul??? I'm very disapointed, going to return and by a swix. would like to know if any of you had this terrible experience.

PXL_20231120_003503486.jpg
PXL_20231120_003441560.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, Swix Sport owns the brand Toko.

Good chance your will Swix whatever will be a Toko in red.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, I detuned a new toko steel brush on concrete, and to remove the durty I just washed on water and soap before use for the first time. The result: Cracks everywhere. Did I do something wrong? Is a brush of $100 supposed to not be water proof omegalul??? I'm very disapointed, going to return and by a swix. would like to know if any of you had this terrible experience.

View attachment 216099 View attachment 216100
Lets take a step back, why did you wash it in soap and water? How long did you leave it in the water? And why did you put in the water? It is painted wood block, that is for using on snow skis ... not water skis?

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I had this happen to a Toko brush. After I let it dry out completely it straightened out and was fine.

TS
M

macumbed

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Lets take a step back, why did you wash it in soap and water? How long did you leave it in the water? And why did you put in the water? It is painted wood block, that is for using on snow skis ... not water skis?
I had detuned (because is a steel brush) in the asfalt of my street before so it got some dirty, so I just wanna remove before first usage :/ I just cleaned on my sink, like 5min max with hot water and soap.

I would not be doing this again but, how I would be supposed to clean after a detune? I don't know where I will find a perfect cleaner block of concrete to so :'(

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I had detuned (because is a steel brush) in the asfalt of my street before so it got some dirty, so I just wanna remove before first usage :/ I just cleaned on my sink, like 5min max with hot water and soap.

I would not be doing this again but, how I would be supposed to clean after a detune? I don't know where I will find a perfect cleaner block of concrete to so :'(
I've detuned against the corner of concrete on wall - I think that's less dirty/oily than asphalt.

Then for cleaning I put I put a little citrus solvent or detergent in a small flat metal pan. Just enough to cove the bottom half of the bristles. Then rinse off in water. The handle might get a little wet, but I can avoid soaking it. The one time I soaked a handle, it cracked. Still usable though.

King Key

Booting up
Skier
Have I misunderstood, did you pay 100 dollars for a flipping brush! ?

Is it made with the internal ear hairs of a unicorn? :D

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
First, yeah that sucks, but wood has been known to be susceptible to cracks after water exposure.

But I really don't understand this "detuning" of a steel brush. If you want a "detuned" steel brush, why didn't you just buy a brass/bronze brush? I want my steel brush to be sharp and aggressive. That's what steel brushes are for.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
But I really don't understand this "detuning" of a steel brush. If you want a "detuned" steel brush, why didn't you just buy a brass/bronze brush? I want my steel brush to be sharp and aggressive. That's what steel brushes are for.
In nordic skiing, at least ten years ago, there were steel brushes that were finer than available brass/bronze brushes, so could get into the structure better. And lasted longer than brass/bronze and as well as horsehair brushes (which are appropriately fine).

I'm not up-to-date on what brushes are available now.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Patio paver? Can even keep it inside with your tuning gear.
I think this is a smart idea. Also possibly a file. Most shops have a panzer file handy for cleaning off their scrapers and such. Maybe that would work for the brush too?

Sponsor

Staff online