• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tokyo Olympics

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, the Olympics has always had an age policy to keep it from competing in prestige with the World Cup, or even with some of the continental tournaments (Eurocup and Copa America mainly).

And, if we're really feeling cynical, to avoid FIFA messes in the WADA labs...

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, the Olympics has always had an age policy to keep it from competing in prestige with the World Cup, or even with some of the continental tournaments (Eurocup and Copa America mainly).
Right. Except for the women it’s a major tournament. I guess no team who’s the reigning women’s wcup champion has won the Olympics.
In other news, blood flow restriction is the current choice in training?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/sports/olympics/athletes-blood-flow-restriction.html

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Simon Biles became the only woman to do a Yuruchenko double pine in competition back in May. If she does it at the Olympics it’ll be the maneuver will be named after her. The fifth one with her name on it.
But one big impediment is at the Olympics you’re not allowed to practice before.

Here she practices it in Tokyo. Slo mo video.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
That's awesome! Wish her the best, but I won't be watching.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Screenshot_20210724-223927_Chrome.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Ask Canadians about the Whistler Winter Olympics. It put Whistler on the map! Madness? Right!
I am not sure if the above is sarcasm but with no emoji, I guess @crosscountry is serious.

Firstly, there never was a Whistler Winter Olympics but in 2010 there was a Vancouver Olympics with some events held at Whistler.

I guess @crosscountry has not looked at a map in a while because, trust me, Whistler as the largest, busiest ski resort in North America, has been "on the map" for several decades prior to 2010.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am not sure if the above is sarcasm but with no emoji, I guess @crosscountry is serious.

Firstly, there never was a Whistler Winter Olympics but in 2010 there was a Vancouver Olympics with some events held at Whistler.

I guess @crosscountry has not looked at a map in a while because, trust me, Whistler as the largest, busiest ski resort in North America, has been "on the map" for several decades prior to 2010.

It was working for me as irony, furthering the point made upthread about using existing infrastructure over and over again.

To wit: Vancouver had to use Whistler instead of the local areas, the Olys left next to zero day-to-day legacy excepting some decor, and Whistler still has enough infrastructure to be one of the few resorts capable of hosting again - if they were insane enough to actually want to do it.

The contrast directly presented in-thread is Vancouver/Montreal, but I think the real comparison that would hold up the irony better would be Vancouver/Calgary.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
actually the Vancouver Olympic left many legacies

a much safer 4 lane highway to Whistler, and increased staff quarters
Additional facilities on north shore mountains (runs lifts lodges)
a rapid transit line from downtown to the airport
a huge convention centre which is always booked.
mixed social and market housing in the former Olympic Village on False Creek.
the Olympic Oval is now a well used multi use recreation complex.
and many many others including some decor.

personally I wished the ski jump and bobsleigh track was built on the north shore over looking the city rather than its current location but the cross country facility is in a perfect spot

Sometimes a catalyst is needed to speed up much needed infrastructure.
Same thing happened with our World Expo in 1986
saw the first rapid transit line in Vancouver, a complete revitalization of the water front and sea wall -instrumental in making Vancouver being listed frequently as one of the most livable cities in the world

a new highway from the mainland to the interior which lead to significant growth in population and summer and winter tourism.
The interior ski hills would still be small without it.
It's easy to forget.

Calgary's legacy amongst many others is Nasika, the Nordic Centre, Olympic Park- ski hill and bobsleigh track, but primarily the performances of Canadian winter athletes ever since.
Calgary just had a vote on another bid - not approved, but despite the difficult economic times Alberta is having it was surprisingly close.
pretty sure Vancouver's response would be similar.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a lot to be said for having permanent Olympic sites for summer games and winter games. The selection process is a farce ,with too much cost, and the building of monumentous single use venues is crippling.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I thought that the IOC was going to start re-using venues. That makes a lot more sense. But then, some places will never get great training sites without a games to leave things behind. Canada had to go to Europe or Lake Placid for Bobsleigh and Luge until Calgary. Not something you're going to build in your backyard. There is/was a ski jump facility in Thunder Bay.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
US Women softball beats Japan 2-1 with walk off home run. They’re 5-0 in pool play. They’ll be the home team in the gold medal game against Japan, Tues 7/27 7am Eastern time.

Anyone watch the handball? I saw the women’s, it’s pretty fun. Skateboarding street gold medal went to Japan. The volleyball arena is getting rave reviews. It’s a bummer there’s no spectators. The athletes like it because it’s 10 min from the village.

The rowing venue is pretty awesome also. Couple of nice bridges. They had an infestation of Magaki oysters two years ago. They removed 31,000 pounds.
————-
International oyster expert Julie Qiu,…“Americans will know this oyster by more familiar brand names like Fanny Bay, Hog Island Sweetwater, Kusshi or Hama Hama,” she told The Post in an email.

However, Qiu also stressed the dangers that come with preparing and eating magaki oysters, which can be potentially risky to consume if they do not undergo a rigorous purification process to minimize food-borne illnesses before they are sold to customers.
———————

Then there’s the robot at half time.-

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It was working for me as irony, furthering the point made upthread about using existing infrastructure over and over again.

To wit: Vancouver had to use Whistler instead of the local areas, the Olys left next to zero day-to-day legacy excepting some decor, and Whistler still has enough infrastructure to be one of the few resorts capable of hosting again - if they were insane enough to actually want to do it.

The contrast directly presented in-thread is Vancouver/Montreal, but I think the real comparison that would hold up the irony better would be Vancouver/Calgary.

Did you ever drive up to Whistler before the Sea to Sky highway was rebuilt?

The Nagano Okympics drastically improved transport infrastructure on the quiet (west side) of central Honshu. It cut about an hour off the drive from Kanazawa to Hakuba and Nozawa, and 1.5-2 hours from Kanazawa to Shiga Kogen... worth it? From a purely selfish point of view, absolutely. But seriously, the Sea to Sky improvements were/are huge for anyone driving up from Van or YVR airport. I wish they'd have just improved the rail line as well though.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I love that rugby's getting this kind of international exposure through the Olympics, but I really can't get on with sevens. Too much fancy-dan stuff, not enough hard graft

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought the Nagano Olympics were one of the best ever. Definitely the best mascots.

The indoor volley ball is always good. Two of the best announcers for a sport. Paul Sunderland and Chris Marlowe, former US Olympians in the 80’s. Swimming is very good too with Rowdy Gaines, and Ato Boldan is good in track.

The Brazil volleyball coach had Covid and was in the icu for a month, getting out in June.

Some of the venues, video was from 2020 before cancelling.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I had to laugh when the Norwegian women's Beach volleyball team was fined for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms. You know in this day and age of awareness of exploitation of women could any fine be more tone deaf?? IOC in a nutshell..

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I had to laugh when the Norwegian women's Beach volleyball team was fined for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms. You know in this day and age of awareness of exploitation of women could any fine be more tone deaf?? IOC in a nutshell..
Think I heard that Pink is going to pay the fine for them

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Tunisian gold medal swim and the Austrian cyclist gold medal have been my highlights so far. Those who give exceptional performances on the biggest stage are always inspirational.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January