• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tolling to be implemented in BCC and LCC in the near future, according to UDOT's Executive Director

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
UDOT's announced goal is to begin implementing tolling in BCC and LCC by 2025. The toll could be as high as $20 to $50 per vehicle per day, according to UDOT Executive Director Carlos Braceras. I'm sure today's announcement will not be well received by those skiers and snowboarders loyal to Deer Valley, Park City, and Snowbasin.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
This was already laid out in the EIS reports from last summer; kinda surprised they're acting like it's news now.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
$50 isn't a toll, it's a penalty. Paying to use a road that you pay to use through other taxes. It's unfortunate that it's come to this.

James

Out There
Instructor
$50 isn't a toll, it's a penalty. Paying to use a road that you pay to use through other taxes. It's unfortunate that it's come to this.
You’ve still got a choice, but now it’s for those that spend more money. Just ban cars from going up the dead end road. It’s more fair. Electric bus for now.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You’ve still got a choice, but now it’s for those that spend more money. Just ban cars from going up the dead end road. It’s more fair. Electric bus for now.
That still won't address all the cars finding a spot to park at the bottom of the hill.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
As it is, I think a lot of us that work during the week are paying taxes for canyon roads that are borderline unusable on the weekends. I'd rather be able to take the bus, or split $50 between a couple friends and know that we have a solid chance of actually making it up there to ski.

That still won't address all the cars finding a spot to park at the bottom of the hill.
Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but do people really need to drive their cars at all? The bus picks up right from Murray Central, and there's plenty of bus stops along the way in the valley. I could see adding another park and ride somewhere, but it feels like a culture issue as much as an infrastructure issue. Right now it seems like a lot of people are looking at all the incentives to pick public transportation and choosing to do the least logical thing.

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s going to require some work. How pathetic is that the canyons are essentially parking lots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I feel sorry for the residents at the bottom of the canyon. They are basically under lock down on powder mornings and IF they get out, there is no way they are getting home for hours. This along with the people who try to by pass the traffic by going through these neighborhoods.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
IMO, LCC is the best combination of terrain and quality snowfall in North America, ruined by its own popularity. The last time I was at Snowbird on a powder day I got an early bus and got in a lift line, not too far from the front before the lift opened. I still only got 2 runs before it was cut up. Similar experience on a powder day at Whistler.

I doubt I will return to either place any time soon.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
They need to bite the bullet and go big on park and ride structures at the base of the canyons. No private vehicles up there - no exceptions. Homeowners and hotel/ condo guests by permit in agreed off peak hours.

Don't know why that's so hard. Of course easier to tax people without major impact on numbers and/ or go with the American way - he with the most cheddar gets all the privileges.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but do people really need to drive their cars at all? The bus picks up right from Murray Central, and there's plenty of bus stops along the way in the valley. I could see adding another park and ride somewhere, but it feels like a culture issue as much as an infrastructure issue. Right now it seems like a lot of people are looking at all the incentives to pick public transportation and choosing to do the least logical thing.
I don’t disagree about the concept of using the bus more, but current system contributes a lot of disincentives. On a good day, driving to Alta would take me 30 minutes. Between driving and parking at a bus stop and waiting for a bus the trip could take up to 90 minutes. Plus I would not be able to get a seat approximately 30% of the time. Holding my skis and poles and boot bag for the entire drive up (or down) adds to the disincentive. If given the choice of a 90 minute trip, I would rather since in my own car listening to my own radio and with my gear in the back. The bus experience could be made a lot more pleasant, and I don’t think that it would be that difficult to do.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Speaking of transit disincentives, my buddy was trying to plan a trip to downtown Toronto from a suburb. He's about a 15 min drive to our airport. And there is some transit from the airport to downtown. The bus ride to the airport from his place is 1hr 20m. That's three buses for a 15min drive. He eventually took his old route which is 1hr 20m to downtown.. he could have driven that in 40mins....

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Another thing I think I've suggested before. Massively expand bus fleet by sharing with Bryce/Zion NPs who conveniently have a counter schedule of demand.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Plus I would not be able to get a seat approximately 30% of the time. Holding my skis and poles and boot bag for the entire drive up (or down) adds to the disincentive.
In the past I have parked in the Walgreens parking lot in Sandy and caught the bus at the bus stop across from the community centre. I have always got a seat and these buses have a special place inside for placing your skis and poles.

They just need to build more park and ride places and then restrict private vehicles to certain hours only.