• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tolling to be implemented in BCC and LCC in the near future, according to UDOT's Executive Director

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
We used to. But with COVID they spread out tables and needed the space so the cubbies are gone. They may have moved them somewhere else which I never see, I guess, having paid big bucks for a seasonal locker.
The last time I was at Whitefish was just before Covid hit--@Sibhusky, we skied together a few times--and I would take the elevator to the 3rd floor. Getting off the elevator, boot change was in the lounge on the left and ski bag sized cubby holes against the wall on the right.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The last time I was at Whitefish was just before Covid hit--@Sibhusky, we skied together a few times--and I would take the elevator to the 3rd floor. Getting off the elevator, boot change was in the lounge on the left and ski bag sized cubby holes against the wall on the right.
That's the one that's gone.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Grill ,Cooler, 2 pairs of skis (minimum) and all the other extra gear i bring. Be one hell of a bus ride .

if the toll was $50 bucks id be up to around a $7500 bill for the last 2 years.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Grill ,Cooler, 2 pairs of skis (minimum) and all the other extra gear i bring. Be one hell of a bus ride .

Yup. I’m grateful that I was able to enjoy this wonderful area before it was wrecked by the invading hordes. And I mourn its destruction. Everyone should heed what old people know: nothing ever changes for the better.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

And you'd probably pay it if we're being honest. It's still a cheaper addiction than blow, and (usually) a little healthier too. That's at least what I'm telling my wife anyway.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And you'd probably pay it if we're being honest. It's still a cheaper addiction than blow, and (usually) a little healthier too. That's at least what I'm telling my wife anyway.

drop the 'hookers and' part did you? ;) One also has to wonder about the effects of inflation on the street price of blow.

it is a dangerously myopic view for the real world.

Not sure I see that, really.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Over a few decades, we went from no internet, to no ski forum, to a ski forum getting its plugs pulled, to this ski forum that you're posting on.

If that's "nothing change for the better", I'm pretty content with the worse. ;)

"The cars are expensive and the roads are too crowded to drive them properly, but hey, the driving shoes are super cheap and BOA! and check out this awesome coffee lounge we can swap stories in."

Or, as my merchant sailor relatives always say:

"Horsemeat curry. Now available in extra spicy. "

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just my $0.02 as a Utah native who has seen the changes that have happened to SLC, PC, the local canyons, and the local ecosystem over the past 50 years:

I'm happy to see any system put into place that helps reduce the number of single-occupancy vehicles going up and down the canyons that feed the water system of the Wasatch Front. If it's in the form of a per-vehicle toll (and preferably one that uses gross vehicle weight and engine type as its calculation), a bus rapid transit system (one that I favor over all others), or some kind of aerial people mover (i.e. a gondola or tramway, which is not ideal or equitable, or even a subway using renovated mining tunnels), something needs to be done to help preserve the environment of the Wasatch.

If the toll is too low it won't keep the masses away or pivot them toward UTA as a way to get up. If it's too high it'll backfire. If it's in just the right ballpark and the funding is used to help subsidize UTA's bus service (as well as to help preserve the watershed) then I am all for it.

Sure, tailgating won't be the same - c'est la merde. But if it means the canyon ecosystems can be better protected, if it means getting rid of the "red ribbons" of bumper-to-bumper traffic (with all of those vehicles idling and spewing toxic emissions into a relatively captive atmosphere in the canyon areas), if it means the thick crowds at the lift-served areas are, well, less thick then I'd call that a win.

I know that the U.S. is a car-centric culture with a built environment that perpetuates it. The mountain west is even more beholden to the primacy of private cars. Now there is a chance for one cluster of ski areas to take a move similar to what has happened in many European ski enclaves: moving toward a less damaging model of moving people around.

It's time, folks. We can complain about it until we are blue in the face but this is a good move in terms of helping keep Utah's ski country skiable.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sure, tailgating won't be the same - c'est la merde.
You could easily make lockers up there for people to store their tailgating stuff. Sell food and beer too. Not that hard.

I got a ride in a BYD electric bus a couple weeks ago. They make them in California. It should work.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
"The cars are expensive and the roads are too crowded to drive them properly, but hey, the driving shoes are super cheap and BOA! and check out this awesome coffee lounge we can swap stories in."

Or, as my merchant sailor relatives always say:

"Horsemeat curry. Now available in extra spicy. "

The only constant is change.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
*offers @geepers a nickel*

So... overpaying again. :duck:

Change happens - we get over it. Some suits us - compact skis; the move away from flared trousers... Some doesn't...

Personally would prefer to return to the pre-covid world where inflation was limited, didn't miss 3 northern and 1.5 southern seasons of skiing, regional house prices were lower, the wife was well, yadayada.

Global population is 8 billion. The baby boomers are retiring in huge numbers and they are cashed up and rearing to party - just as long as they are home by 9:30pm. If living in an attractive part of the world be prepared to adjust. 'Cause they (we) are coming... :beercheer:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
So... overpaying again. :duck:

Change happens - we get over it. Some suits us - compact skis; the move away from flared trousers... Some doesn't...

Personally would prefer to return to the pre-covid world where inflation was limited, didn't miss 3 northern and 1.5 southern seasons of skiing, regional house prices were lower, the wife was well, yadayada.

Global population is 8 billion. The baby boomers are retiring in huge numbers and they are cashed up and rearing to party - just as long as they are home by 9:30pm. If living in an attractive part of the world be prepared to adjust. 'Cause they (we) are coming... :beercheer:
For how long? And after that....(when the boomers are gone) what happens?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
For how long? And after that....(when the boomers are gone) what happens?

The boomers are 1946 to 1964. So we are aged from 59 to 77.

Here's the current USA demographics. The circus will continue for some time, barring unforeseen (but not unforeseeable) events.
1687929844808.png

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't "prefer to return" to any time in the past. My life is getting better overall, minus a few annoyances popping up here and there! Retirement to look forward to, when I feel like it. :)

Oops, I take it back. I would "prefer to return" to my 20's body that can party (or ski/bike, take your favorite) all day long and do it again the next morning!

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
The baby boomers are retiring in huge numbers and they are cashed up and rearing to party

Are they? Over a quarter of boomers have no retirement savings and the median retirement account for that generation is only $120k. Obviously many have far more than that, but for a large percentage, the party is not going to last very long. Particularly once social security is drained.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid