• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellie 3 day free trial. Big Picture Skiing

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
If you're interested in checking out why so many of us love his stuff, Tom is offering a free 3 day trial to all of his content. As with most trials you have to sign up and give a credit card, but as long as you cancel your membership before the 3 days is over there is no charge.

bigpictureskiing.com

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
OK guys, I might just give this a try. I understand there is a ton of content. What should I look at if I want to make the most of it and/or get hooked on it.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
OK guys, I might just give this a try. I understand there is a ton of content. What should I look at if I want to make the most of it and/or get hooked on it.
He has a section that is marked "Start Here First" or something to that effect.
It's great stuff. I started with a 3 month subscription and renewed for the year.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I would start with some of the newer stuff to take in his latest thoughts and make a decision on subscribing. If you decide to subscribe then you can go through chronologically (which is what I recommend because there's lots of crossover and context you gain from his mindset at the time he made those recordings).

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
You would think that with all the free advertising he might chime in more often. But noooo.....
It's just business as usual.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
The fore/aft videos and the ribcage movement videos have been great for me. Also the long part 1 webinar about using your arms.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a non-instructor I've found TG's videos very helpful in understanding some concepts that had not sunk in very well before I started watching them. His way of describing some things may or may not be traditional but they work, for me anyway. I'll be interested in hearing your impression of the videos.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

That's an interesting question. Thing is - it depends on what you are interested in and what needs attention.

IMO his stuff is most applicable to people who have reached a certain level of competence on skis. Great stuff for anyone moving up a level of instructor certification or an advanced skier wanting to up their performance. Intermediates are likely to want help in application - it's easy to think your execution is ok when perhaps it needs adjusting. Not unique to any collection of ski vids however BPS tends to jump right in. Skiing 101 it is not. Again, just my opinion and others may see it differently.

The other aspect is content for instructors to deliver to their students. Plenty of insights into ski technique as well as the opportunity to 'shadow' an instructor to see what's in his bag of tricks and compare notes.

A suggestion for anyone thinking of trying... Compare your long, short, and bump skiing to Tom's. These clips are probably good samplers however there's more on his free youtube channel.

Bumps:
Want more control of line and speed then maybe start with "Speed Control and Line Control".
Want to flow like Tom - "Better flow in moguls"
Want to take a more direct line - "Advanced mogul skiing"
Want more material to teach bumps above 101 - all the above plus more.

Shorts:
Want better steered shorts, especially on the steeps - "Mastering the short turn", "No more skidding", "Understanding Torque"
Carved shorts - really nice short lesson on shorts "Pivot slips for grippy short turns". (Sounds weird to start into carving turns with a pivot slip drill? Definitely. But worth it for the outcome.
Same point re teach.

Long turns:
Want to get into carving - maybe " "Carving Basics ", "Dynamic carving in 3 days"
Upping the carve performance - "Retraction turns" and practically anything on transitions
Getting that hip closer to the snow - "Early pressure in your carved turns"
Same point re teach.

Drills insights:
"Pivot slips", "Javelin turns", "Hop turns"

Ski technique:
Anything on transitions, toppling.
"Angulation"
"Separation"
"Arms 1", "Arms 2"
"Virtual bump"

The functioning of the body and preparation for skiing:
Take your pick: feet, ankles, knees, spine.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question: in Tom's FIS Race ski video above, what's the difference between Performance Short Turn on blue (2:07) vs Basic Short Turn on blue (1:48)? Same for basic long turn and performance long turn. Is it just pure speed?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Question: in Tom's FIS Race ski video above, what's the difference between Performance Short Turn on blue (2:07) vs Basic Short Turn on blue (1:48)? Same for basic long turn and performance long turn. Is it just pure speed?
Guessing here to fill in the time until TG responds.

These short turns look quite similar in tempo and radius, and I can't perceive any difference in the downhill travel speed from that camera angle. But the skis taking him along that similar line are different. The word "performance" applied to a ski usually refers to the bending it's doing. More bend = more performance. I don't know if that's part of his reasoning for the different turn labels or not.

--His Basic Short Turn is done on a FIS SL ski at 165.
--His Performance Short Turn is done on a GS ski at 178.

--He doesn't record the ski he's on for the Basic Long Turn.
--He says the Performance Long Turn is on a GS ski.

That Performance Long Turn looks faster as the skis carry him across the hill, and his body is more compact in response to that greater speed. I hope @tomgellie responds.

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
@LiquidFeet : I'm pretty sure all turns are on 178CM GS skis (I saw Red top sheet on the basic long turn, assuming Volkl has yellow for SL and red for GS).

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a fan of free trials that you have to cancel for them to not end up costing you.
I'm forgetful. Just say'n.
Plus, some make it a real pain in the ass to cancel. As long as it is easy to cancel online, that's not bad.

Sponsor