• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellie 3 day free trial. Big Picture Skiing

tomgellie

Putting on skis
Instructor
You would think that with all the free advertising he might chime in more often. But noooo.....
It's just business as usual.
I wish I had the time to do so. With a full time family, 3 year old son, groups of skiers I coach privately and in groups throughout the week, a physical therapy practice, friends, chores, making dinner, taking some time for myself is a rare thing. I’m looking at ski talk for the first time at 10:38pm at night when i have some spare time.
I love that people are so supportive. I really appreciate it.

tomgellie

Putting on skis
Instructor
His carving helped me a lot. I don’t really understand his mogul videos.
That’s good to know. The mogul videos have been Made more for higher end instructors so far and I’ve yet to work from lower levels up. I began the Big Picture Skiing project as a resource for instructors mostly as they get to a point where they dont have much solid information to go off of to improve and also explain what it really happening in a ski turn. Future work is to fill in the areas helping all levels of skier improve and progress.

Is there anything you wold say is the most Difficult part to understand with the mogul videos? Any feedback appreciated. You can email me too if its easier.
[email protected]

tomgellie

Putting on skis
Instructor
Guessing here to fill in the time until TG responds.

These short turns look quite similar in tempo and radius, and I can't perceive any difference in the downhill travel speed from that camera angle. But the skis taking him along that similar line are different. The word "performance" applied to a ski usually refers to the bending it's doing. More bend = more performance. I don't know if that's part of his reasoning for the different turn labels or not.

--His Basic Short Turn is done on a FIS SL ski at 165.
--His Performance Short Turn is done on a GS ski at 178.

--He doesn't record the ski he's on for the Basic Long Turn.
--He says the Performance Long Turn is on a GS ski.

That Performance Long Turn looks faster as the skis carry him across the hill, and his body is more compact in response to that greater speed. I hope @tomgellie responds.
More performance is yes more using the ski and bending it through tipping it more on edge. That’s all. So I’m going a little faster and tempo is up.
All the groomed turns done on a 178 GS ski in that video.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great guy that. His advice on toppling is money!

I am gonna sub to his website as a gratitude for just this simple concept that's been somehow escaping me.

tomgellie

Putting on skis
Instructor
Great guy that. His advice on toppling is money!

I am gonna sub to his website as a gratitude for just this simple concept that's been somehow escaping me.
Thanks Tony! Wow I appreciate that.
you will find more details on that topic plus a whole bunch more. I hope you begin to see skiing through a different lens, making it really interesting and fun, and also demystifying some common misconceptions that I myself used to be confused about. Currently working on a few other ideas that have been hard for me to understand but looking at other sports for answers bas lead to me understanding why some skiers just do things easily and others don’t

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
By the way the discount applies to all renewals. I just renewed for a year carrying over my discount that started 6 months ago.

I am definitely seeing skiing through a different lens after all the hours I spent last Summer and Fall watching Tom's videos. Thanks to @Mike King for first bringing the site to my attention.

What's worked so well is that the personal coaching I'm getting is working better because I see the movements through the lens of the biomechanical knowledge I got from Tom. For example when he has me utilize hip rotation for counter and points out that it effects fore/aft pressure I think "I can get backside heavy by simply countering a little more." When he has me slide my shoulders over my outside ski and drop my forearm/hand, I relate it to the Ribcage move, and to the Using Your Arms in Skiing webinar.

My skiing has taken a quantum leap in the last few weeks, I've gotten 4 unsolicited compliments on my skiing in the last 2 weeks.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
By the way the discount applies to all renewals. I just renewed for a year carrying over my discount that started 6 months ago.

I am definitely seeing skiing through a different lens after all the hours I spent last Summer and Fall watching Tom's videos. Thanks to @Mike King for first bringing the site to my attention.

What's worked so well is that the personal coaching I'm getting is working better because I see the movements through the lens of the biomechanical knowledge I got from Tom. For example when he has me utilize hip rotation for counter and points out that it effects fore/aft pressure I think "I can get backside heavy by simply countering a little more." When he has me slide my shoulders over my outside ski and drop my forearm/hand, I relate it to the Ribcage move, and to the Using Your Arms in Skiing webinar.

My skiing has taken a quantum leap in the last few weeks, I've gotten 4 unsolicited compliments on my skiing in the last 2 weeks.
Sounds like time to sign up for an exam!

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Not for this skier. I'm done with that.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Tony! Wow I appreciate that.

Ah, don't mention that, you are doing great job mate, great job indeed. Keep it up!

Presently I am at a level of suckage in skiing where I do not need much explanations but at the same time certain seemingly very simple and concise advises help me propel myself to the next level of suckage.
You actually needn't say anything, just leave that pole drop as you did in the vid, I sorta worked everything else myself and these days am working on letting gravity do the work. It is fun. ;)

Now guess who will be binge watching instruction videos in the next three months at least, despite the fact that come April 15 they will shut the lifts till next December 20, hoho.:ogbiggrin: Hope there is something on how to suck less on an MTB and rollerblades as these are two other areas where improvements are badly needed.:roflmao:

Last edited:

tomgellie

Putting on skis
Instructor
Ah, don't mention that, you are doing great job mate, great job indeed. Keep it up!

Presently I am at a level of suckage in skiing where I do not need much explanations but at the same time certain seemingly very simple and concise advises help me propel myself to the next level of suckage.
You actually needn't say anything, just leave that pole drop as you did in the vid, I sorta worked everything else myself and these days am working on letting gravity do the work. It is fun. ;)

Now guess who will be binge watching instruction videos in the next three months at least, despite the fact that come April 15 they will shut the lifts till next December 20, hoho.:ogbiggrin: Hope there is something on how to suck less on an MTB and rollerblades as these are two other areas where improvements are badly needed.:roflmao:
Well funny you mention the mtn bike and roller blades. In my webinars i use examples of these to show that the same principles carry across sports.
And i plan to do some roller blade ski training Tom Gellie style so I’ll make sure i have some of thosemade in your 3 month period.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well funny you mention the mtn bike and roller blades. In my webinars i use examples of these to show that the same principles carry across sports.
And i plan to do some roller blade ski training Tom Gellie style so I’ll make sure i have some of thosemade in your 3 month period.

My rollerblades await your upcoming training videos.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I've been constantly told to take up rollerblading with poles, but never do it. Challenge on @tomgellie make it easy for me!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Inline skates for ski training are OK, but the best is to use Harb Carvers. There are online instructions on how to build your own since they're no longer sold. A few guys have taken up the challenge and have had great results.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I don't have a link for making those Harb Carvers DIY.
But I do have youtube links for people making turns on them.
Here they are, if the site permits. The first skier worked on this all last summer.
The other two have had years of practice.
I've always thought rollerblades/inline skates would be less hassle but not as close to skiing.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always thought rollerblades/inline skates would be less hassle but not as close to skiing.

Infinitely harder to balance. Even the slightest mistake is immediately punished and punished hard. But what else to do when one wants to ski in the summer? It is either that or travel to Chile/Argentina.

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
Another solution

Look at this guy profile. Some interesting devices and he does not stop improving them

Sponsor

Staff online