• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Too little edge material?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello all!

Recently got a stellar deal on a set of demo blacks ops 118 (really wanted the demo binding to play around with mount points). According to the shop, it was only used 15 times which the top sheet reflects well but the amount of edge material makes me wonder if I should keep it. On both skis, one side has less edge material (height wise when ski is flat on ground). This most prominent being around the front contact points (please see attached photos). Measures about just alittle less of 1mm. The "good" edge is about south of 1.25mm. But when looking at the base, there still seems to be alot of edge material width wise. Does this mean they base/stone grinded the base quite a bit? How many more grinds can I get from this ski? Worth keeping?

Thanks!
Kevin

Attachments

• low edge.jpg
    low edge.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 89
  • good edge.jpg
    good edge.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220414_141004.jpg
    20220414_141004.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Base.jpg
    Base.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks like varying depth of base and edge just in certain sections. If I had to guess, the shop probably “free hand” sanded out some deep base scratches in a few spots rather than filling them with ptex.

Will be thinner base and edge in those sections so new rock hits might not fare too well.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's plenty of edge left :) This is what I have been using to get down injected World cup courses for a month, before getting new pair few years back, and it worked just fine (see especially bottom of the photo part not tip of ski, where there's plenty of edge). I needed to be a bit gentle on file but it was fine. With your amount of edge, and with how people normally take care of their skis (no file on edges after every skiing), I'm sure you would be ok, especially if you get skis for good price.

skie_edge.jpg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The may have removed a lot of it through base grinding, assuming all edges started out the same and good, but you still have enough left for a powder ski for quite a while yet. Just don't sharpen them every day, and if you do happen to encounter some ice while skiing them, don't bother trying to impress yourself with how good a job you did sharpening them.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well were the bindings worth it? I'd ski them, but I'd be pissed if I paid more than a hundred bucks for them like that..

TS
SpeedyKevin

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you all for the feedback! I opted to return them. Shame really as the rest of the ski was in really good shape. Ended up finding the same ski with a pivot being sold for less by a local. Much better condition! Now to see if I can adjust the pivot from a 295bsl to 305bsl...

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Thank you all for the feedback! I opted to return them. Shame really as the rest of the ski was in really good shape. Ended up finding the same ski with a pivot being sold for less by a local. Much better condition! Now to see if I can adjust the pivot from a 295bsl to 305bsl...
Good luck with that.

Sponsor

Staff online