• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Too Many Cars Are Too Fast

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny Cobra story. One of the dealerships I worked at, the owner kept his (real) 427 Cobra in the showroom. There was a sign on it, please do not touch. A customer was in the showroom and put his toddler in the drivers seat ... BIG Mistake ... the owner, a hot head from time to time, flew out of his office screaming at the guy "Listen to me, you pr!ck with ears, get that rat out of my car and off my %&^*ing property..."

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Take it up with the manufacturer, not with me. https://trackdogracing.com/rollbars.aspx

All I was doing was trying to get the thread back on track with some car not charger stoke. And all I get met with is a derisive comment about my car.
Sorry, but I have a history with them. I am a huge Harddog fan, we lost another member of our club who rolled his car (w/o a bar) and soon after that we did a group buy with HD, we did something like 40 rollbars in over 2 weeks.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new chairman of the NTSB is apparently on a vehicle safety crusade. From a recent speech addressing causes of vehicle fatalities:

"Vehicle manufacturers who design vehicles that can exceed 100 mph or that have no speed limiters."

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My dad owned one of those (the '65 Galaxy XL) in the 1970s though, bought used. I got to drive it a few times. It was not a slow car, and it was also very capable of converting rear tires into two black strips on the pavement. Black with red interior, very good looking car.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The new chairman of the NTSB is apparently on a vehicle safety crusade. From a recent speech addressing causes of vehicle fatalities:

"Vehicle manufacturers who design vehicles that can exceed 100 mph or that have no speed limiters."
I see a fair bit of focus on the Tesla vehicles and nasty crashes. I think the implication is that the automated driver aids are killing people. I think the reality is the cars are just damn fast and people do stupid things in them. NTSB is now researching a bunch of these Tesla crashes to see what's going on. And if it's just the pure speed thing, I do wonder if this may ignite a Save The Children moment and give them some power to limit the performance of vehicles. Typically insurance rates do that..however...we'll see.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I see a fair bit of focus on the Tesla vehicles and nasty crashes. I think the implication is that the automated driver aids are killing people. I think the reality is the cars are just damn fast and people do stupid things in them. NTSB is now researching a bunch of these Tesla crashes to see what's going on. And if it's just the pure speed thing, I do wonder if this may ignite a Save The Children moment and give them some power to limit the performance of vehicles. Typically insurance rates do that..however...we'll see.

I think they are making cars slower in Europe via more driver aides, starting for model year 2022.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took delivery of a sub 3 second car a few months ago. It’s definitely too fast maybe I should sell it….Nah. I tracked it a couple of weeks ago and came away wondering how I could really feel I’m pushing it on the street. Unless I risk both my license and the lives of innocent people…I can’t. That said, you don’t have to achieve high speeds on the twisties to appreciate the performance of the car. So I try to drive it on roads like that as much as possible and limit day to day driving. For that I have an SUV hybrid. The battery is intended more to enhance performance than avoid ICE use. It’s range with a full battery is around 27 miles. At first I didn’t figure I’d do all-electric in it. But I installed a beefy circuit that charges from empty in under two hours. For my life it works well. Almost all local trips are battery driven. When I get home I plug it in and it’s ready for the next trip. When I ski, I use ICE to get there and electric to return. For long trips hybrid mode works really well and I don’t run out of battery. But I wouldn’t want an all electric for really long drives. Battery tech and/or availability of charging has to change to really make that desirable.

Before I owned the hybrid the thought of an all-electric seemed impractical. The reality is once you gain experience with it, it’s hard to want to go back to all ICE. But I had to adapt to it and learn before I could feel that way. I’ve yet to find another Hybrid owner who wanted to go back to all ICE.

Muleski

Inactive
My dad owned one of those (the '65 Galaxy XL) in the 1970s though, bought used. I got to drive it a few times. It was not a slow car, and it was also very capable of converting rear tires into two black strips on the pavement. Black with red interior, very good looking car.

Sounds sharp. My mother's was a convertible, silver with the red interior. Pretty neat. The very unusual option, which I think took some work to mount, was a Nardi wood wheel. May dad had them in his cars, and she wanted one! Pretty sweet ride for the mom of a kid in jr. high school. She did most of the mom stuff in the Wagoneers, though.

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes and dozens of them waiting for the only 'quick charger' withing 100 miles. Sounds like (NO) fun.
I'll get by somehow with a full tank of gas in 5 minutes and another 300-500 miles to go...
A friend of mine drove to Vegas recently. On the way back to LA he saw a line of mostly Tesla’s at the last charging station for over 200 miles. Wait time apparently was 4 hours. That wasn’t due to charging times but the lack of charging infrastructure in most places presently. There is one station near me that sells hydrogen for the one model of Toyota that presently uses it. Obviously, besides range and charging times , the biggest hurdle is charging infrastructure, and the stress that potentially puts on the grid. The manufacturers will improve the batteries- the market will demand it but the infrastructure, the electric version of a gas station, needs to follow quickly.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Believe it or not, there was a time when there were no gas stations. Things change. When they do, I'll get an EV. Until then, I'll keep using the gasoline, and enjoy the warming trend (it gets cold in Sudbury).

Shame about the bigger storms though.
Believe it or not, there are fewer gas stations in Los Angeles than there were when I moved here in ‘88.
The reason? The cost of building/maintaining a gas station but mostly, the real estate ( corner lots)has just become too valuable.

Muleski

Inactive
Ran into a neighbor, yesterday, and thought of this discussion. He has a LOT of car experience {driving, restoration, manufacturing, racing}. Has owned some amazing cars. I think he is now 88. Eighty eight, maybe 89. His main car is a bright red 2018 Tesla S. When he bought it, he sold two very classic antiques to buy it. One a V-16 Cadillac. He kept his Audi S8 just to make sure that he liked the Tesla....which he fell in love with.

I'm terrified of him driving that Tesla. I have driven it with him 3-4 times, and, well, we all know how fast they are. 0-60 in about 4 seconds, and we know how silent and just "different" they are. He was sharp as a tack when he bought it. Now, not quite as much. He's a widower. Lives alone.

I just think he's in the wrong car now. Charging is not an issue for him. He doesn't take many longer trips. When he bought it, it was "unlike anything I've ever driven in my 70 years behind the wheel...." I wonder if at times if he knows that he actually has it turned on, etc.

Kind of scares me.

My town in MA had something like 12 gas stations 50 years ago. Now we have....NONE. Most were in what became very coveted locations. Gone. So we buy gas in the neighboring towns. Boat gas, we can buy at a couple of locations on the water. In the summer.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I recognize it is a Harddog. But it only a 2 point connection. For a rollbar a 4 point…rear support arms are much safer. I do know or actually knew someone that rolled his Miata with this bar. He didn’t fair well.
I’m a big believer in full roll bars in convertibles, despite the obvious safety benefit , they stiffen the chassis , especially beneficial in unibodies .

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ran into a neighbor, yesterday, and thought of this discussion. He has a LOT of car experience {driving, restoration, manufacturing, racing}. Has owned some amazing cars. I think he is now 88. Eighty eight, maybe 89. His main car is a bright red 2018 Tesla S. When he bought it, he sold two very classic antiques to buy it. One a V-16 Cadillac. He kept his Audi S8 just to make sure that he liked the Tesla....which he fell in love with.

I'm terrified of him driving that Tesla. I have driven it with him 3-4 times, and, well, we all know how fast they are. 0-60 in about 4 seconds, and we know how silent and just "different" they are. He was sharp as a tack when he bought it. Now, not quite as much. He's a widower. Lives alone.

I just think he's in the wrong car now. Charging is not an issue for him. He doesn't take many longer trips. When he bought it, it was "unlike anything I've ever driven in my 70 years behind the wheel...." I wonder if at times if he knows that he actually has it turned on, etc.

Kind of scares me.

My town in MA had something like 12 gas stations 50 years ago. Now we have....NONE. Most were in what became very coveted locations. Gone. So we buy gas in the neighboring towns. Boat gas, we can buy at a couple of locations on the water. In the summer.
I had a close call with a Tesla a few months ago - the reasons: It’s blinding speed/acceleration and tha fact is does so silently. Essentially, I was moving into the left hand lane , looked into both mirrors, looked forward for a second ,just before I started to move left, I looked one more time to see a Tesla going at least 80 in a 40 (silently.) right on my right corner blind spot. I would have heard any other car going that fast long before that.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Too fast?

646F2D06-DB45-4683-9835-E9FC38D5A87F.jpeg

E2676B3E-A0AF-4B86-88CB-95C61FB94EC8.jpeg

Attachments

• FCACE8B5-BA29-40AB-9A07-A9AEE487C1CA.jpeg
    FCACE8B5-BA29-40AB-9A07-A9AEE487C1CA.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 3

Sponsor

Staff online