• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Too Many Good Skis to Choose From - East Coast All Rounder

marcs44

Booting up
Skier
Hi,
I've been researching for some new skis and need some help narrowing down my list to ones that I should demo. Basically looking for that holy grail - an all mountain east coast ski that can do everything!

I'm 6 ft and 172 lbs. In my 40's and ski aggressively so would want a ski that I can push but also something that I can take it easy on when the legs get tired or just easy skiing with the family.
I'd say my favorite types of skiing are fast big GS carves and also getting into the trees/bumps, so basically the opposite ends of the spectrum. Also something that I can take on Euro/Western trips if the forecast isn't looking too deep.
I have a 5 year old pair of Atomic Vantage 85CTIs in 184 length. They've treated me pretty well - maybe they've lacked a little bit of muscle on the high speed carving side but they've been great in bumps/trees or up to 6 inches powder.
I know the Brahmas should belong on my list but I rented a pair a few years ago and found them planky and not fun at slower speeds/bumps etc.

Seems like there's so many good choices in the 85-90mm range. I'll be in VT for a while later this month and unfortunately the skis I'd want to demo are at a bunch of different shops. Here's my list:

Nordica Enforcer 88, maybe in a 179
Stockli Stormrider 88 (between sizes, maybe 175)
K2 Mindbender 90 Ti in a 177
Armada Declivity 92 in a 180
Elan Ripstick 88 in a 180
Elan Wingman 86 in a 178
Head Kore 87 in a 180
Volkl Kendo in a 177
Atomic Vantage 90Ti either 177 or 184
Rossi Exp 88 in a 180

My Atomics have a decent amount of rocker and are pretty light skis so I'm thinking that going a few cm down would be fine.

There's one shop right on the hill that has Elan, Rossi, K2, Head and Armada, so I'd definitely hit that up for a day or 2 of demoing. Another shop has Volkl, and another has Stockli and Nordica, and the last shop has Atomic. As much as I'd love to try all the skis, realistically it's too much and I'll drive myself nuts driving around to different shops etc, so I want to cut out some skis. Any advice appreciated, thanks a lot!
Marc

snoroqc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll swap the Kore from 87 for th 93. I demoed the 93 and the ski is very good in bumps. I own the Kore 99 in 180. The 99 is stiffer and not as playfull as the 93. The 99 is better in GS carve turn. I'm about your wieght but shorter (Covid side effect) :)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can speak to the Declivity and Wingman CTi. Love 'em. I don't know if they'd be super great in East coast ice but they are very good at a lot of conditions. I'd like to get on the narrower Declivitys.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
“Fast big GS carves and also getting into the trees and bumps”- Kendo 88 has best stability in this width at high speeds and it’s long flat rocker are great in the trees/bumps/off piste.

Got a pair myself for the exact same use. Impressive grip on harder snow with its lack of taper but handles soft snow well too.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At Killington in the Snowshed Base Lodge the Potter Brothers charges $60 per day to demo from following -Skis: Volkl, Rossignol, Atomic, K2, Fischer, Elan, Stockli, Liberty, Faction, DPS, White Doctor, Icelantic, Black Crows

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
What ever ski you chose you need to decide which is the most important thing you want the ski to do , and which is the least important. No ski will do everything well you are asking it to do . I would lean toward the ski with the most appropriate performance for the situations you mostly ski. I would add Stockli AR to the list.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd say my favorite types of skiing are fast big GS carves and also getting into the trees/bumps, so basically the opposite ends of the spectrum.
Yup.
Which is more important to you?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What ever ski you chose you need to decide which is the most important thing you want the ski to do , and which is the least important. No ski will do everything well you are asking it to do . I would lean toward the ski with the most appropriate performance for the situations you mostly ski. I would add Stöckli AR to the list.
Posts crossed!

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
You'll never demo all those skis, and with all the overlap between you'd never need to. I'd take the Atomic, Wingman, Rossi, and Kore 87 off your list, replace the Enforcer 88 with the Enforcer 94---a tighter and slightly more diverse range of skis--all of which would be excellent and do what you want them to do (provided that you can do what you want them to do). Oh, I'd probably add the Fischer RC 86ti GT to the list, forget the rest and buy that ski.

But seriously, flip a coin and pick two of the remaining list, then decide...all these skis are great. Choice makes people miserable :cool:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At Killington in the Snowshed Base Lodge the Potter Brothers charges $60 per day to demo from following -Skis: Völkl, Rossignol, Atomic, K2, Fischer, Elan, Stöckli, Liberty, Faction, DPS, White Doctor, Icelantic, Black Crows
Is that $60 per day for unlimited skis or just 2-3? I'm looking at this for Jane.

TS
M

marcs44

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all for the replies. Much appreciated!

What ever ski you chose you need to decide which is the most important thing you want the ski to do , and which is the least important. No ski will do everything well you are asking it to do . I would lean toward the ski with the most appropriate performance for the situations you mostly ski. I would add Stöckli AR to the list.
Yup.
Which is more important to you?
I would say that that I'd put more importance on a ski that can lay nice GS arcs on your average corduroy. But I'd rather give up some carving ability on boilerplate/hardpack and have a ski that is more versatile in the bumps and trees than the other way around, if that makes sense. Also, my brother just got the Stockli AR so I can try his....

Be sure to try the Fischer RC One 86 GT
That looks like a great ski too. So much for narrowing down my list!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Have you looked at anything less than the mid 80's? In the east the skis in the high 70's might grip a lot better. Head has the Rally and Titian both I have skied in the east or maybe the V10 model that is newer than the Rally and Titian could be a good choice.

Prov1kanobi

Booting up
Skier
I probably sound like a broken record but you can’t go wrong with the Fischer, and if you are looking for an absolute Swiss Army knife, I use my Stockli Scale Delta in the ways you describe. Its an extremely versatile and underrated ski that got discontinued due to everyone wanting the word Laser on the ski. It’s damp, bendy, and incredible on edge. Mine is 177 and 17 radius, and I can bend it to around 14.5 or ride it at the 17. It does both very well. In fact I found a newer model of my ‘17 and have those coming Saturday. Ill be selling the 2017 next week as long as the newer model is better. The weakness of the ski is that its not great on hard ice groom but thats not in your requirements and its not too far off my MX84.

TS
M

marcs44

Booting up
Skier
Thanks again for the replies and advice. I'll report back.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
No love for the Enforcer 88's? Was on mine this morning on a couple of firm honest black groomers. They rocked it. Yesterday a couple of beginners classes, more groomers, some bumps, and refrozen rained on crud; they took it all in stride and asked "what else you got". Like the Enforcer 100's (have them too) they do everything pretty well but not off the charts great on anything.
A really nice all around ski. You could do worse. These can be found on some decent prices if you look around.
You could do worse.

Griselbrand

Booting up
Skier
Check out Black Crows, either the Orb or the Vertis. The Orb will throw down a better GS turn and is a little more hard charging in general, the Vertis will be more nimble on in the trees and on the bumps.

Sponsor