• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Too Much Bike vs. Too Much Ski

TS
robertc3

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wasn't sure where my post would lead and in typically fun SkiTalk fashion it went in many different directions. Mostly, I found it interesting that I am happy on too much ski for the conditions, but don't think I would enjoy too much bike for the trail. If I had a 10 ski and five bike quiver that would be awesome, but budgets being a reality that isn't going to happen.

I stumbled into a Canyon demo day on Saturday and had a chance to ride their XC offering and it was really fun. On the climbs it was as efficient as my hardtail and on the descents it was much better. It was also way easier on my back. Getting on my hardtail for the 6 mile ride back to the car hurt a bit. I love shopping for gear, but it does make your current gear just a bit less fun than it used to be.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
sounds like i need to google that!
February 2005

1656363525596.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I max out my 120 frequently at home in tech, way more than on the flow trails in the mountains. I don’t do big drops though.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know everybody's different, but i can't imagine riding a bike with less than 180 mm funny and rear.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thought this thread was about ski shops that suddenly sell bikes in the summer.

And take over manufacturer distribution from long established LBS because certain mfgs have no concept of delivering to local dealers instead of to a moneyed megacenter.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And there are skiers who can't imagine skiing a ski over 70mm underfoot and others under 110mm.
And I'm one of them. 112.

Kind of joking, because my backcountry ski, vwerks mantra is 98.
But i don't think bikes and skis are the same.

A long travel bike is easier in technical terrain.

An expert ski is not.