• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Too much pressure on outside or too little on inside?

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
HI All,

I'm using Carv (I take a lesson here and there, but it's probably not enough) to try and help with a habit of mine where I use my right leg, in the left turn to control speed, like a brake and don't utilize my turns to the maximum extent for that purpose.

Anyway, whenever I go to the mountain(s), I bring Carv with me and as I ski alone 50+% of the time, so I am practicing one thing or another.

This past weekend I wanted to get a good sense of controlling speed in blue (and a couple of blue-black) trails. I find that I often rely on past muscle memory and use my right leg as the speed enforcer during my left turns. It's my dominant leg so it makes sense, but my wonky technique is an impediment to improving insofar as I can tell.

So, I ran a series of practice runs and "tests" on what Carv was telling me. I used a green slope, which was pretty long and consistent, so speed variation wouldn't confuse matters.

1. On a series of turns I used fore/aft monitor -- My left turns are ALWAYS higher (50-60%). My right turns are ALWAYS lower, in the 35-45 range. For reference, 45-60% is the optimal range on the app.
2. On another series of runs I ran the outside ski pressure monitor. My left turns are ALWAYS lower (50-70) than my right (60-80). For reference, optimal range is 65-90.
3. I did a final test which is the Balance challenge on the app. Right turns almost every time yield a success bell on the app (in my earphones), while left turns get a fail bell.

The app, I assume, is using both left and right leg positions and pressures to determine the fore/aft balance and overall balance values and it also measures the start of the turn and end of the turn. The outside ski pressure measurements, not sure about.

My current theory is I am using my right leg too much and applying too much pressure on the in the left turn as this seems to be the leg the works the hardest.

#1, what are some opinions on what could be going on here? #2 what are some possible drills to improve this?

I saw something online about performing a cadence count while in the turns (like a metronome) to help with turn symmetry: 1 down the fall line 2, in the turn and 3 start of new turn, and ensuring both right and left turns are counting along at the same rate. This makes a lot of sense to me and I'm going to try it, but any other advice would be appreciated.

~GA

Last edited:

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Have to admit, you have me a bit confused here. If we are talking the process of carving (converting straight line travel into circular travel), the outside leg assumes a position of strength to RECEIVE the pressure coming in from the ski. That pressure is regulated by the slope and the amount of edge angle. There shouldn't be that much difference in each leg being able to "assume the position". Basically, we control our speed through turn shape when we are carving.

If you are truly using your leg as part of a braking action, then I must assume you are preemptively rotating the ski to a position perpendicular to the fall line and bracing against Gravity vs the push force of carving. It's also a good bet that you are probably doing it from the back seat which, if true, is the source of your problem.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Have to admit, you have me a bit confused here. If we are talking the process of carving (converting straight line travel into circular travel), the outside leg assumes a position of strength to RECEIVE the pressure coming in from the ski. That pressure is regulated by the slope and the amount of edge angle. There shouldn't be that much difference in each leg being able to "assume the position". Basically, we control our speed through turn shape when we are carving.

If you are truly using your leg as part of a braking action, then I must assume you are preemptively rotating the ski to a position perpendicular to the fall line and bracing against Gravity vs the push force of carving. It's also a good bet that you are probably doing it from the back seat which, if true, is the source of your problem.
Carv does also monitor edge angle when figuring Ski IQ, but these fore/aft and outside pressure are standalone parameters that you can get good numbers on with non carved turns.

The thing is when I practice these turns, they feel the same to me, I'm just reporting what the numbers say.

The right leg issue seems to come up in the steeper terrain. And it would seem logical they are related, but the root cause isn't since these green turns were pretty well timed.

I do agree with you about the back seat, after all in below 45 on the left turn in the fore/aft monitor. The right turn always above and always getting the "you're properly centered" bell.

Maybe the steeper terrain is the place to work on this more since it brings out the worse symptoms of this underlying problem?

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
GA, have you had your boot & leg alignment checked? This can be one source of your lack of symmetry. Properly aligning your feet under your knees will go a long way toward evening things out. The cuffs of your boots need to be aligned to your lower legs. Then your boots need to be adjusted so the center of each knee is over the center of the foot. And fore & aft alignment gets us into the correct balance position for each body shape & size & proportion & ankle flexibility & other unique things about each of us. A very good boot fitter should do a good job at alignment, or check an expert place like Green Mountain Orthotic Lab in Winhall, VT. http://gmolfoot.com/index.html

I tend to agree with what JES said, but without a video it's hard to be sure what's what.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
GA, have you had your boot & leg alignment checked? This can be one source of your lack of symmetry. Properly aligning your feet under your knees will go a long way toward evening things out. The cuffs of your boots need to be aligned to your lower legs. Then your boots need to be adjusted so the center of each knee is over the center of the foot. And fore & aft alignment gets us into the correct balance position for each body shape & size & proportion & ankle flexibility & other unique things about each of us. A very good boot fitter should do a good job at alignment, or check an expert place like Green Mountain Orthotic Lab in Winhall, VT. http://gmolfoot.com/index.html

I tend to agree with what JES said, but without a video it's hard to be sure what's what.
Heading to Stowe on Sunday, going to head over to "Inner Bootworks" there. I think there the same bunch that run Skiessentials.com and Pinnacle Sports.

I have not had an alignment done but have been wanting to get it done. I wear a patella abutment brace on my left knee so want to get them aligned while wearing that since I'm sure it has some influence.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Can you ski on one foot and is it easier on one foot than the other?

Sherman89

Booting up
Skier
We all have a dominant leg which leads to a better/stronger turn with the dominant leg on the outside/ downhill ski. I suspect that since you wear a brace on the left knee then the right turn would be the weaker turn for you and on steeper terrain you subconsciously rely on the left turn to control you speed simply because you have muscle memory over the years that have trained you to protect your weak side from over speeding. I suggest you start doing exercises including inline roller blading to strengthen that left knee/leg combo and when skiing intentionally staying on the outside ski/left knee/leg longer. J turns both ways will help to train new muscle memory and help you develop independent leg action by weighing the outside/downhill ski. Roller blading supports independent leg action and is so valuable to ski conditioning. A video of you skiing would be worth 1000 words. Roller blading will teach fore/aft balance very quickly, either way too far of center and you are on your butt or face almost instant.

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
In a recent discussion with a coach, not only the dominant leg was taken in as the origin of better turns on one side (or asymmetircal turn shapes, as we were discussing) , but one's entire lifestyle, so to speak, e.g what one normally does at work (do you use a mouse? which hand? how does one sits at the desk), at home, or how one drives (use one hand only on the steering wheel? which one? where's the other? What about whole body position while sitting/driving?) What other sports are being practicised (Tennis? Golf? Fencing? Rowning?) and so on. All this contributes to not only a strong leg, but a whole strong side of our body...and thus, symmetrical turning. So, let's start from afar, let's bring as much symmetry as possible in our everyday life. Let's work at the gym with a coach to compensate for body asymmetries....all the while working on it as well as while skiing....