• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tools for setting base angle

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am thinking of just getting my skis flat ground at 0 degrees and experiment with base angles. Since I am racing/training Masters slalom I'll have lots of chances to evaluate the tune. I run the standard .5 degrees base now with 3 degrees side.

What is the best tool for setting base angles? Lets say .5 degree increments. Tape on a file? Something else?

thanks

Breck

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I use a base angle file guide myself. Not expensive. It's not that easy to change in some ways. Unlike side angle you're somewhat inhibited by the base itself. And you don't want to keep grinding the base if you can avoid it. I can't tell you a whole lot on best base angle setup. I have a race tune book and basically it says leave the base at 1d. @Atomicman is a great resource, as well as @Jacques .

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This is basically what I use. You can only go bigger basically once you start. .5, .75, 1 etc. If you don't like it and want to go back you basically have to flat grind the base again.
1664065799574.png

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As Scott mentioned above, there are lots of base bevel guides out there to use with files and stones to set your base bevels. They are either variable like the one pictured above(.5 to 2 degrees) or come in fixed angles that are usually-.5 degrees, .7/.75 degrees, 1 degree, 1.5 degree and 2 degrees. The higher the bevel angle, the higher the guide thickness that glides along the Center of the ski is. The end of the file is pointing to this part in this picture.

2FA022D1-9CF7-4D7C-8D7B-F5482E3FF8F5.png

There aren’t really any options below .5 degree for base bevel so there are some that resort to wrapping tape to slightly raise the file off the ski in the same area as above.

Not a bad idea to get your skis ground to freshen up the structure and reset the base bevels which will naturally increase with use and regular maintenance. You are very likely above the original 0.5 base bevel currently.

Is there something about the .5/3 tune you don’t like as that would be good recommendation for Masters racing?
You can more easily change the side angle to a 4 or even 5 for more bite and easily back down to 3 if it’s too much of a good thing.
Keeping a base bevel below 0.5 is common on World Cup racing but I don’t know if I’d recommend it on older knees. Might engage the edge quicker than you(or your knees) might like.

I’d start with establishing a fresh 0.5 base bevel and 3 degree side angle after a stone grind and maybe play with side angles if you wanted more bite.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like fixed guides by SVST & Swix.

1664120042486.jpeg 1664120069437.jpeg
The new Swix with the file holder looks pretty nice.

1664120108839.jpeg
Regardless which file guide you decide on. Use a smooth file and lightly pressured strokes. Don't have to remove much.

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is there something about the .5/3 tune you don’t like as that would be good recommendation for Masters racing?
You can more easily change the side angle to a 4 or even 5 for more bite and easily back down to 3 if it’s too much of a good thing.
Keeping a base bevel below 0.5 is common on World Cup racing but I don’t know if I’d recommend it on older knees. Might engage the edge quicker than you(or your knees) might like.
Actually the opposite, I am more interested in increasing the base bevel to help get my skis out from under my body more. The below video looks like I really need to get my skis out more and further apart. My current setup engages very early when doing railroad tracks.

And this is all Telemark.

I feel like I have two options for getting my skis out further
  • Finish my turn with more angle to the fall line, slow-line-fast idea.
  • Increase base bevel (with corresponding increase in side) to force the skis to hookup at a higher angle which will be presumably further out from my body.
  • Just to add some telemark wonkiness, I focus on my inside ski for turn initiation. I am thinking of just beveling the outside edge at a higher level than my inside edge which is where the power is and is the downhill edge in turns.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you want to try larger bevel angles, then don’t regrind yet and experiment with a .75 base bevel and then 1 degree if that’s not enough. Then regrind if you went “too much” and want to go back down again.

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you want to try larger bevel angles, then don’t regrind yet and experiment with a .75 base bevel and then 1 degree if that’s not enough. Then regrind if you went “too much” and want to go back down again.
That is exactly what I was thinking--keep incrementing to see what I think and then regrind when I go too far. I will likely do one ski at a time too, but won't be able to swap if I have assymetric base angles (see two posts above). Keep a pair in standard .5 for contrast. I got the extra-course wheel on my Razr Tune so I can reset side angles to match.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is exactly what I was thinking--keep incrementing to see what I think and then regrind when I go too far. I will likely do one ski at a time too, but won't be able to swap if I have assymetric base angles (see two posts above). Keep a pair in standard .5 for contrast. I got the extra-course wheel on my Razr Tune so I can reset side angles to match.
I am not sure where you got the idea .5 is standard. 1 degree is the standard tune and a true clean non-hanging burred 1 degree skis great! .5 is more for slalom, but a .5 is really rather demanding, particulalry on certain snow (high moisture content) and if your alignment isn't perfect. Understand that base edge angle is very sensitive. .25 of a degree makes a huge impact on the skis characteristics. You never want to go over 1 degree. 1 degree = 1mm of gap under a true bar matched to the base edge angle 60mm across the ski. ...... .5 = .5mm.

You are either going to use a .5, .7 or a 1 degree. And contrary to popular opinion you can still easily over bevel with a base edge guide so go easy. The other concern is that almost all of these tools measure off of the p-tex base. If you have any concavity in the tip or tail area, you will end up "Under-beveled" in those areas and you will hate life on your skis. The nice thing about the Toko guide that King Grump and Scott43 mentioned is they bridge concavity in the center of the ski. (between the edges) Other tools glide or foot can sit in that right in the low spot and cause under- beveling.

Last edited:
TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am not sure where you got the idea .5 is standard. 1 degree is the standard tune and a true clean non-hanging burred 1 degree skis great! .5 is more for slalom, but a .5 is really rather demanding, particulalry on certain snow (high moisture content) and if your alignment isn't perfect
Yep, it is for slalom only. I rather like .5 but just messing about.
Understand that base edge angle is very sensitive. .25 of a degree makes a huge impact on the skis characteristics. You never want to go over 1 degree. 1 degree = 1mm of gap under a true bar matched to the base edge angle 60mm across the ski. ...... .5 = .5mm.
I have heard of insanely high base bevels (4 degrees) for speed events for drag reduction I think, no idea on technical events what the cool kids do.
I just feel like my inside ski engages too soon, might be perfect at 1 degree, we will see and I'll report back.

You are either going to use a .5, .7 or a 1 degree. And contrary to popular opinion you can still easily over bevel with a base edge guide so go easy. The other concern is that almost all of these tools measure off of the p-tex base. If you have any concavity in the tip or tail area, you will end up "Under-beveled" in those areas and you will hate life on your skis. The nice thing about the Toko guide that King Grump and Scott43 mentioned is they bridge concavity in the center of the ski. (between the edges) Other tools glide or foot can sit in that right in the low spot and cause under- beveling.
Oh my, excellent point. That is why I ask. I have a few p-tex driven bevels that will be subject to review as will how cupped my tips/tails are.

EDIT: I had a look at the Toko guide video and it is sliding on the ptex as well, further over a bit but not the opposite edge which is what I would expect. Hmmm. Better just have flat skis then--cupped tips/tails cannot be fun.

B

Last edited:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep, it is for slalom only. I rather like .5 but just messing about. I wouldn't say it is for Slalom Only, ya just gotta know what your getting and why.

I have heard of insanely high base bevels (4 degrees) for speed events for drag reduction I think, no idea on technical events what the cool kids do.
I just feel like my inside ski engages too soon, might be perfect at 1 degree, we will see and I'll report back.

Almost all skis race or other wise are .5,.7 or 1 degree. The Park Rats may go 1.5 or 2 , but what difference does it make when your trashing your skis on rails and such!

Oh my, excellent point. That is why I ask. I have a few p-tex driven bevels that will be subject to review as will how cupped my tips/tails are.

EDIT: I had a look at the Toko guide video and it is sliding on the ptex as well, further over a bit but not the opposite edge which is what I would expect. Hmmm. Better just have flat skis then--cupped tips/tails cannot be fun.

B
As long as your base is flat about 10MM in from each edge your skis will ski fine. This one goes farther across. they alll slide on the P-tex, just depends on how far over. None go all the way to the opposite edge. Not needed.
1664152033616.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BC.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been very impressed with my latest acquisitions from Sidecut.com

This one looks really well made and lets you use a file, long diamond, or their round diamond stones. It also has a piece that locks in whatever file or stone you are using.

video on their web site.
DD3A7483-B38D-4FA1-860B-914F11FA80C0.jpeg

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Toko that @scott43 shows and I have replaced it with some fixed guides that Grump shows. I don't like the way the file is held in the Toko and feel it can flex in use. You are taking off about 0.001inches, so it better be precise and solid, and you should apply very light pressure with a very sharp file.

Tele skiing may change things, I am a Alpine race coach and have experimented with base bevels a lot. Anything from 0-2.0 is useable. I have personally skied a base bevel from 0.25 to 2.0 in increments of 0.25 degrees. I should have asked for 0 bevel and started from there. The step from 0.25 to 0 is not a biggie like I was led to believe, but most think it is. I personally like 0.5/3.0 on all 12 skis I own. Even my 143mm powder ski has as 0.5/3.0 tune. That is me. As Atomicman says, 1.0 is the typical all around good skiing base bevel. You go lower in 0.25 increments, and each step makes the ski engage or react quicker. Not drastically, as most believe, but noticeably. I liked the 0.25 deg which was on my 88mm wide Slalomon X-Drive ski. It was quicker reacting than most of my other skis. Maybe on a race ski that would be too quick, but I doubt it for me. I also have very snug and precise race ski boots, so that is pretty important factor in what YOU will like.

You are getting good advice to start low, .25 or .5 and go up in .25 increments. An adjustable guide seems the way to go for this. Ideally you would measure your bevel after filing and before skiing to make sure you really filed what you think (again as was said, easy to overbevel). A "race grind" back to 0 and reset bevel will be needed if you go farther than you ultimately want to use.

When you increase base bevel, you loose grip unless you adjust your side angle too. Seems like you are aware of it. I do see a flaw in using different bevels on inside edge vs outside edge, you turn both ways in a course so you will loose a little grip/response in your uphill ski, but maybe that's OK if almost all your weight is on one ski edge. I think tele changes that so I don't know what to say.

I have skied a tune on a GS ski of 2.0/7.0. Yes 2.0 base and 7.0 side edge. I didn't know what the tune was when I was on the ski. Measured it later. These were an ex racers skis and that's how he liked them. I hated the delayed response and boy did they lock in once angled enough. They were like an on/off switch. No feathering involved, but would probably stick like glue on an icy race course. (take your ACL out too if you f***ked up. Too radical for me, but shows you the limits of what's used. With a 0.5 base, they would have been a ACL tear waiting to happen. Now I use 0.5/4.0 on my race skis and that's as far as I want to go. I could see most people wanting an increased base angle, as I am a Clyde and weigh 240lbs.

Lastly, just my opinion, its probably more about your technique than base bevel, but since Tele you might just get along with a 1.0 base much better. If you do, than use it cause that fits YOU the best. I think you are on the right track to experiment and see, and it will help sort out if its the ski or your technique as the root cause, or both?

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have the Toko that @scott43 shows and I have replaced it with some fixed guides that Grump shows. I don't like the way the file is held in the Toko and feel it can flex in use. You are taking off about 0.001inches, so it better be precise and solid, and you should apply very light pressure with a very sharp file.
Good to know about the flex with the Toko. And yeah, real sharp file.
Tele skiing may change things, I am a Alpine race coach and have experimented with base bevels a lot. Anything from 0-2.0 is useable. I have personally skied a base bevel from 0.25 to 2.0 in increments of 0.25 degrees. I should have asked for 0 bevel and started from there. The step from 0.25 to 0 is not a biggie like I was led to believe, but most think it is. I personally like 0.5/3.0 on all 12 skis I own. Even my 143mm powder ski has as 0.5/3.0 tune. That is me. As Atomicman says, 1.0 is the typical all around good skiing base bevel. You go lower in 0.25 increments, and each step makes the ski engage or react quicker. Not drastically, as most believe, but noticeably. I liked the 0.25 deg which was on my 88mm wide Slalomon X-Drive ski. It was quicker reacting than most of my other skis. Maybe on a race ski that would be too quick, but I doubt it for me. I also have very snug and precise race ski boots, so that is pretty important factor in what YOU will like.
The immediate drive to experiment is hoping that more base bevel will encourage getting my skis out from under me more. I have felt that I'd like my edge to engage later, particularly my inside edge.

Also a high base bevel may be a training aid that forces me to go out further, then with that expectation/skill I can apply it to lower base bevels that are more standard--.5/3 currently on my SLs.

Running race liners in race boots, tight fit. But there is the tele dimension.
You are getting good advice to start low, .25 or .5 and go up in .25 increments. An adjustable guide seems the way to go for this. Ideally you would measure your bevel after filing and before skiing to make sure you really filed what you think (again as was said, easy to overbevel). A "race grind" back to 0 and reset bevel will be needed if you go farther than you ultimately want to use.

When you increase base bevel, you loose grip unless you adjust your side angle too. Seems like you are aware of it. I do see a flaw in using different bevels on inside edge vs outside edge, you turn both ways in a course so you will loose a little grip/response in your uphill ski, but maybe that's OK if almost all your weight is on one ski edge. I think tele changes that so I don't know what to say.
I was planning on updating the side bevel to match the base so the skis won't get any duller.

Asymmetry in base angle is an interesting dimension.

With tele the inside ski is doing very different stuff than the outside ski:
  • The inside ski center is ball of foot + pressure forward from springs in the bindings--on race springs this can lead to significant weighting of the fore of the ski.
  • The fact that stiff race springs are a thing supports the idea that either the bent leg is getting some support from the spring and/or the forebody of the ski is more weighted. These springs are not floppy duckbill bindings.
The outside ski/edge has no forebody pressure, free heel and all that. I try and keep the action around mid arch but honestly it is all over the place. Instruction from US tele team coach Kieth says get as much as possible on the downhill ski, pretty standard I'd say compared to alpine.

For me, I am controlling my turns from the inside ski and letting the outside ski do what comes naturally--this is mirrored in some alpine instruction where the inside ski is the "brains" and the outside ski is the "brawn". If I can delay when the inside ski engages then I think the outside will engage later as well but I can see that as an argument to have the same bevel. Or if the outside ski has more bevel it will go out further to go find some edge hold.

And there is the ballet of the lead switch which gets very complex around when edges change.

I'll probably evaluate by increasing one edge bevel, ski it inside/outside just to rough out what it feels like. I have done single ski modifications to try and sort for/aft differences as well and like the approach.
I have skied a tune on a GS ski of 2.0/7.0. Yes 2.0 base and 7.0 side edge. I didn't know what the tune was when I was on the ski. Measured it later. These were an ex racers skis and that's how he liked them. I hated the delayed response and boy did they lock in once angled enough. They were like an on/off switch. No feathering involved, but would probably stick like glue on an icy race course. (take your ACL out too if you f***ked up. Too radical for me, but shows you the limits of what's used. With a 0.5 base, they would have been a ACL tear waiting to happen. Now I use 0.5/4.0 on my race skis and that's as far as I want to go. I could see most people wanting an increased base angle, as I am a Clyde and weigh 240lbs.

Lastly, just my opinion, its probably more about your technique than base bevel, but since Tele you might just get along with a 1.0 base much better. If you do, than use it cause that fits YOU the best. I think you are on the right track to experiment and see, and it will help sort out if its the ski or your technique as the root cause, or both?
Thanks for the feedback, yeah, there is a lot to experiment with. The most important piece of equipment modification is my brain so technique is a huge part of all this.

The lore/coaching around tele-racing is oriented towards GS turns so I am on my own with figuring out SL stuff and pulling from alpine knowledge.

Interesting that you go with 0.5/4, been thinking about that as well--have a razr tune so keep such an edge is possible without too much effort. Glad I have kevlar undies.

I got to track down some cheap SLs that I can use as a test bed.

Thanks again and I'll report back if I find anything interesting.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
What happens to the skis' performance when the base angle is slightly reduced by grinding only the edges and a very small strip of the base material? I know, not recommended and not ideal, but is it tut-tut or Noooooo

Sponsor

Staff online