• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tools for setting base angle

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure how you mean that? If you grind on the bottom you would increase the base angle, or you would make a base high bottom

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
What happens to the skis' performance when the base angle is slightly reduced by grinding only the edges and a very small strip of the base material? I know, not recommended and not ideal, but is it tut-tut or Noooooo
Sounds like something that could happen if you hit uneven bases with a flat file with heavy pressure causing removal of high spots in the base along and including the edges with a slightly bending file.

I use a flat file that’s laying on a 45 degree angle with light pressure and run it down a freshly grounded flat base to hit any remaining high spots in the edges. Only removes metal edge material in spots because the bases are now flat.

Using files or available base flattening tools can make the skis bases and edges more flat with a lot of work but will never be able to be duplicate the uniformity of the bases and edges of a stone grind. Hand tools also can’t imprint a variable depth structure pattern on the bases needed to effectively whisk away moisture and reduce drag.
You could spend hours by hand and will still not get the results and glide on a ski that’s had a few minutes of work on a stone grinding machine.

Your results from your work is pointing to uneven bases which is easily curable with a stone grind. Always start any tune with a properly flattened base off a stone.
You might have even saved the tech a few seconds by removing some high spots! Haha

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the Beast.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What happens to the skis' performance when the base angle is slightly reduced by grinding only the edges and a very small strip of the base material? I know, not recommended and not ideal, but is it tut-tut or Noooooo
You would see a little delay. You might see less effective penetration on hard snow. It would be ever so slightly more forgiving. It's not as bad as the raising the edge by the same amount through bigger angle. If that "long bevel" gets too long it will be a base high ski and seriously need a base grind. Hard to say where that line is. Another problem is the base material interfering with your tools ability to sharpen effectively and efficiently.