• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jnelly

Booting up
Skier
Just out of curiosity. Where are some favorite spots that people have been over the years that are not destination resorts but should not be missed.
For example, I recently talked to a guy who was in-love with Soldier Mountain bc of the cat skiing...he couldn't say enough good stuff about it and was going back again for like the third year in a row. Of course I checked it out and the reported snowfall and rest of the places seems ho-hum (save the cat skiing) ....So the jury is still out on that, but thats kinda what I am talking about. They might be considered local hills or day trippers spots places that most might not consider actually traveling to because of the sheer lack of information, food, little food, no beds etc...local secrets basically. I would love to explore some but really don't want to risk the chance of it sucking due to coming from the midwest. Even a day trip away from a larger 'resort' would be cool.
I like the bohemian style joints! Hard to get to, no beds, brownbag lunch. Show the local love!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Quebec's Eastern Townships. Mont Sutton, Owl's Head, Mont Orford and Bromont. All within 2 hours or less of Montreal. Same goes for north of Montreal - the St Saveur Valley again 2 or less hours from Montreal.

Out of all of those - either Owl's Head or Mont St Saveur. There is skiing there for every level of skier. But in all cases, a weekend is enough.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just out of curiosity. Where are some favorite spots that people have been over the years that are not destination resorts but should not be missed.
For example, I recently talked to a guy who was in-love with Soldier Mountain bc of the cat skiing...he couldn't say enough good stuff about it and was going back again for like the third year in a row. Of course I checked it out and the reported snowfall and rest of the places seems ho-hum (save the cat skiing) ....So the jury is still out on that, but thats kinda what I am talking about. They might be considered local hills or day trippers spots places that most might not consider actually traveling to because of the sheer lack of information, food, little food, no beds etc...local secrets basically. I would love to explore some but really don't want to risk the chance of it sucking due to coming from the midwest. Even a day trip away from a larger 'resort' would be cool.
I like the bohemian style joints! Hard to get to, no beds, brownbag lunch. Show the local love!

Well there is Bohemia in the U.P. and you might has well try Mont Ripley too. Ripley has a lot of good terrain for a smaller hill.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love Loveland! Close up, free parking, friendly staff, reasonably priced, good food and great skiing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tahoe:
  • Homewood-Best views of the lake
  • Mt. Rose-The Reno locals home mountain
  • Sugar Bowl-deceptive terrain, Daron Rahlves's stomping ground
  • Sierra-Some say the best tree skiing in Tahoe

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pajarito, NM. It was built by and for the nuclear physicists and rocket scientists in the 50s and 60s. Tons of history and rustic stoke vibe there.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hunter or "Huntah" in New York's Catskill Mountains. Closest skiing to the metropolitan area that has decent amount of challenge and vertical (around 1500'). Come on out on a busy midwinter Saturday and enjoy the crowds flying down the Belt Parkway or carefully negotiating the somewhat challenging Hell Gate...named for a spot in the East River where one must carefully navigate.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are places that would like to think of themselves as destination resorts, but I’d bet most of their ski visits are locals. Inland NW and BC, for instance. Schweitzer, Red Mt are two places in particular that have snow and terrain and glades, and I’ve had as good or better experiences there than major destination resorts I’ve been to. Red has the gnarly terrain, Schweitzer better lifts and amenities, both have great towns nearby. And both are pretty easily accessible from Spokane International airport. The problem is, Spokane International airport requires a connecting flight from Denver or SLC for anyplace East.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Ski Cooper near Leadville, CO. It's small and the terrain won't blow you away, but it's a really neat area just the same. It's uncrowded, friendly, and affordable. The base is at a high altitude and they don't make snow, so the surface is usually really nice, and the setting is just gorgeous. They also have a cat skiing operation that I haven't tried.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Mnt Baldy, so cal

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Plattekill .... 1000 ft of in your face east coast old school goodness ! Family run by skiers for skiers, kinda like Sunday River was back in the 70's.

Two fixes grip chairs, old base lodge, little to no lodging, Carharts and brown baggers in the parking lot. Kinda like if Cheers ( the show ) if it was a ski area.

TS
Jnelly

Jnelly

Booting up
Skier
Well there is Bohemia in the U.P. and you might has well try Mont Ripley too. Ripley has a lot of good terrain for a smaller hill.

Bohemia is def on the short list for a try. Its funny bc I always wrestle with the time needed to dedicate to it. By the time I can drive there I can basically be in SLC or DEN. But I have friends they go there a lot and love it. deceptive in terms of snow bc its such a microclimate. You can look at the webcams in Houghton and its just bombing but on the radar there is zilch.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, if you can "day trip" to Mt Bohemia you probably grew up skiing there. It's not like it's just down the road from another high traffic destination resort.... or any civilization to speak of hahahaha..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love Loveland! Close up, free parking, friendly staff, reasonably priced, good food and great skiing.
For all the same reasons, I love Loveland!

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Ski Cooper near Leadville, CO. It's small and the terrain won't blow you away, but it's a really neat area just the same. It's uncrowded, friendly, and affordable. The base is at a high altitude and they don't make snow, so the surface is usually really nice, and the setting is just gorgeous. They also have a cat skiing operation that I haven't tried.
I’ve never tried that. Probably should. It can be done as a day trip from any Summit count base.

A little firther away, Monarch has the snow and terrain without the crowd, is my favorite for a change of scenery from Summit county. High on top of a pass, just getting there is worth the trip!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya, if you can "day trip" to Mt Bohemia you probably grew up skiing there. It's not like it's just down the road from another high traffic destination resort.... or any civilization to speak of hahahaha..

That's because it is 2 miles further than the end of the earth. :)

Sponsor