• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Top Gun-Maverick

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We will be going, watched the original with my daughter Saturday night, she had never seen it before. Told myself years ago I'll never watch that movie again I only watch it bagillian times before, but I figured one last time with my daughter.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
that OG opening scene is purportedly operations, not quals.

As I understand it there's nothing to stop them launching and trapping at the same time. Doesn't typically happen on ops as they launch, do a mission, then recover. But physically not an issue. But, hey, I've never even seen a carrier in real life so :huh:(but I've read Flight of the Intruder ;).

In any event in 1986 it gave us general public a peak at that sort of flying. So they were always going to put in launches and landings. Nowadays there's so many real world vids on youtube it's almost blasé.

The #1 issue that bugged Peter Pettigrew (a real Topgun pilot) who was the technical advisor for TG1 was the winner/trophy thing. He reckoned they couldn't do that in real TG as the pilots were so intense no-one would have lived through the course.

Pettigrew was given a cameo role in TG1 as the older guy sitting at a table Kelly McGuiness's character goes to see after the "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" bathroom scene. Also, his real call sign was Viper so they used that for Tom Skerritt's character. When Pettigrew got older apparently his Navy buddies changed his call sign - to Diaper. Brutal.

A least TG2 fixed #4 on my list.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I’m leaning towards meh. Sounds like the same movie. Which I’ve seen. Actually, I’ve seen it a lot because it was so formulaic. Meh.
I haven't seen it yet but it's good the movie is doing so well. Theaters got hammered by Covid and given streaming, their very existance is being put into question.

I don't go to the movies much these days but im still rooting for the movie theaters to survive. So i think it's great to see this film doing well.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m leaning towards meh. Sounds like the same movie. Which I’ve seen. Actually, I’ve seen it a lot because it was so formulaic. Meh.

It's a sequel !

So, yes, viewers should know what to expect. If folks enjoyed the 1st, despite it's silliness, they'll enjoy the 2nd, despite the continued silliness. The jets are still the stars and TC does what he does in every movie - grins a lot, runs a bit, flashes his pecs.

@Tricia - yep, this is one for the big screen.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not the same. Trust me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is interesting. Navy F-18 pilot, retired, talks about some of the scenes. It’s about the first movie, so no spoiler alerts. He finds it far from meh actually.

That was interesting.
Obviously we all know that Hollywood embellishes to make a good flick, so not surprised by any of that.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's a whole series of vids on the making of the original TG. Like this on the tower buzz scene

However corny the dialog is in the original TG it could have been much, much worse!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In case you were wondering why some of the scenery looks familiar:

I just saw it in IMAX, and do recommend. All the flight sequences were filmed in IMAX, and the format really does add to the experience.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In case you were wondering why some of the scenery looks familiar:

I just saw it in IMAX, and do recommend. All the flight sequences were filmed in IMAX, and the format really does add to the experience.

I haven't been to a movie theatre in many, many years but I've been thinking that I'll treat myself to a study break and go for this movie. Now I want to see it in IMAX because, if I'm going to do it, I should do it right. Thanks for the tip.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since the rise of home theater as well as digital projection, many cineplexes have had to convert to be more of an experience.

So there is be much higher availability of IMAX(tm) branded theaters than ever before and not at too much higher of a surcharge.

They aren't the grandeur of the true huge film imax screens, so sometimes called fake imax; but they still are likely the biggest and best screen in the cineplex and a good watch.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Since the rise of home theater as well as digital projection, many cineplexes have had to convert to be more of an experience.

So there is be much higher availability of IMAX(tm) branded theaters than ever before and not at too much higher of a surcharge.

They aren't the grandeur of the true huge film imax screens, so sometimes called fake imax; but they still are likely the biggest and best screen in the cineplex and a good watch.

Sit towards the front.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just saw it—better than the original. The best argument in a long time for seeing the movie in a theatre with a big screen. The action sequences are phenomenal. Story is pretty good but quite predictable. All in all, the perfect summer movie.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't even have a local theater anymore, nearest one is 13 miles away now. I'll wait to buy it on Amazon.
Wow, that might be like 15 minutes if you hit the traffic light? Is there even a traffic light? ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Loved it. Big family event, with the entire back row reserved.

Only ding is a personal one: I wish they'd worked the Berlin song into it. So beautiful.

Wow, that might be like 15 minutes if you hit the traffic light? Is there even a traffic light? ;)

Could be upwards of 4, if you don't know the sneaker routes! :ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The times we've gone to an IMAX it was okay but not much better than just going to the Luxury+ or Dolby theaters.
Lots of options to see in a variety of medium
From what you're saying, even though I've seen it, I NEED to go back and see it in IMAX.
Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 7.25.25 AM.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The times we've gone to an IMAX it was okay but not much better than just going to the Luxury+ or Dolby theaters.
Lots of options to see in a variety of medium
From what you're saying, even though I've seen it, I NEED to go back and see it in IMAX.
View attachment 170601
If I were to select 12:10 today the seats are pretty picked through unless you want to be right in front.

Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 7.28.13 AM.png

Sponsor

Staff online