• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Top Gun-Maverick

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m leaning towards meh. Sounds like the same movie. Which I’ve seen. Actually, I’ve seen it a lot because it was so formulaic. Meh.

I had similar feelings but it's not the same movie even though there are certainly obvious call-backs to the original. It's also better and more entertaining than the original.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The times we've gone to an IMAX it was okay but not much better than just going to the Luxury+ or Dolby theaters.
Lots of options to see in a variety of medium
From what you're saying, even though I've seen it, I NEED to go back and see it in IMAX.
View attachment 170601

Yea it definitely is ymmv what your local imax theater really is in this day. Id you have multiple IMAX options you can research to find out what's really in the theater. But all of them should meet the standard, and should have the 1.9 fullframe flight sequence. The smaller IMAX screens should still have higher resolution projection, so as mentioned you can pick a sest closer than you would in a "regular" theater.

Also, top gun will likely get kicked out of the IMAX theater next week when Jurassic World comes out, so there is a little bit of a deadline if you want to see it in that format.

I was fortunate to see it matinee midweek, so crowds were not an issue, so reminded me a little like the ski resort, weekends are a mess.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is IMAX still 70mm movie film run sideways?

It's all digital these days with digital projectors filmed on digital cameras.
Nobody prints and shows on film except Christopher Nolan. Even archival is now digital archival.

You have to go back to like Christopher Nolan Interstellar, Dunkirk, Tenet to really see a imax film.

It will only be a extremely special occasion at specific theaters where they are actually going to ship / break out physical film and fire up the film projector if they didn't chuck it already and they will market it a little saying see it on Imax Film..

Here is the list of "real IMAX" theaters if you are interested with captions of the exact digital and if they still have the film projector.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues#United_States

Here is list of IMAX films, if you click through on the film, the cinema nerds typically will put in the detail to say if it released in "IMAX 70mm film" vs just "IMAX", and even some more production details if you want to dig.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Wow, that might be like 15 minutes if you hit the traffic light? Is there even a traffic light? ;)
During summer, that's 45 minutes. Summer started with Memorial Day. I just did that trip 2 days back. Total zoo in Whitefish, more zoo in the Hutton Ranch area. It's a good thing the cardiologist said to come 15 minutes early to fill out forms... and there were no forms.

Just took a look. You'd think it was Christmas.
Screenshot_20220604-143102_Maps.jpg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I were to select 12:10 today the seats are pretty picked through unless you want to be right in front.

We don't go out that much, so when we do venture out to a movie, it's always Wednesday.

Tuesday is cheap day, so Wednesday is kind of a rebound day from any crowding.

This makes the date about $10 more expensive.

...more zoo in the Hutton Ranch area...

Agreed, that place is the pox. Luckily, we can sneak down WF Stage Rd. and come into the theater from the backside, behind Home Cheapo.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Saw TG-M today. Very good, better than the original IMO.
When Maverick started his run to prove what he envisioned was possible, "the perfect lap" from Ford vs Ferrari came to mind.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We don't go out that much, so when we do venture out to a movie, it's always Wednesday.

Tuesday is cheap day, so Wednesday is kind of a rebound day from any crowding.

This makes the date about $10 more expensive.

Agreed, that place is the pox. Luckily, we can sneak down WF Stage Rd. and come into the theater from the backside, behind Home Cheapo.
We generally don't go on weekends either. The exception is when we go with someone who isn't able to go midweek.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can finally read this thread, now that I’ve seen the movie. Loved it, don’t care about any criticisms. Would pay to see a double feature of the original and this.

Also, did anyone watch the Val Kilmer documentary on Prime (I think)?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is in my watch list. I just hope there is a significant focus on Real Genius and Top Secret!, IMHO, Val's best roles and I have no idea why he didn't win the Oscar for his work.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Funnies thead.

That was great!!
Can finally read this thread, now that I’ve seen the movie. Loved it, don’t care about any criticisms. Would pay to see a double feature of the original and this.

Fortunately there are no spoilers in this thread.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is in my watch list. I just hope there is a significant focus on Real Genius and Top Secret!, IMHO, Val's best roles and I have no idea why he didn't win the Oscar for his work.
Loved Real Genius! As I recall, it doesn’t come up in the doc, unfortunately.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw it today and it was so worth the extra work yesterday to be able to take the break! I agree that a double feature of the two would be fun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I need to watch this again...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the chance to talk to a few former Air Force test pilots that I work with about the movie... they really liked it. They said there were some silly things or things that don't really make sense, but overall thought it was very good. (I haven't seen it yet so didn't ask for specifics for fear of spoilers.)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online