• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Top Gun-Maverick

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m definitely late to the party but I finally got to see it last night and WOW!! it awesome! I love how they kept the theme and feel of the original. One of the best movies I’ve seen in a while.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dropping in late to the party too...Yes, it's definitely outstanding.

It's possibly the best sequel of a movie I've ever seen that's not part of a series (i.e. Lord of the Rings or Star Wars).

I was reading reviews here and worried my expectations were being built up and no chance. This movie completed exceeded all expectations and worth seeing again in the theatre. Plan to own it too. Great movie.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, minor spoiler ahead: we hear within the first few minutes of the movie that the mission will be against a secret isotope facility blah blah blah in Iran. The end of the movie has the mission, and y'all may have noticed a lot of snow in the valleys etc., because we skiers notice snow. Well, there is snow in Iran, up north. Here's the weird thing: they launch from a carrier and land back on a carrier (those that make it, eh?). Again, not ABSOLUTELY impossible if the carrier were in the Caspian Sea for the snow (if the carrier were in the Persian Gulf or Gulf of Oman, there wouldn't be snow). So, here's the question: how TF does a US carrier get into a landlocked sea??? :P:P Did they get 7,945 chinooks to airlift it there? :roflmao:Enquiring minds want to know.

Of course, there is one other question - why wouldn't we have just used missiles against the facility? (Answer: because then we wouldn't have needed Tom Cruise, and that would be unacceptable).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
how TF does a US carrier get into a landlocked sea??? :P:P Did they get 7,945 chinooks to airlift it there? :roflmao:Enquiring minds want to know.

It was actually one of this. They CGI the water around it.

1657322841252.png

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok, minor spoiler ahead: we hear within the first few minutes of the movie that the mission will be against a secret isotope facility blah blah blah in Iran. The end of the movie has the mission, and y'all may have noticed a lot of snow in the valleys etc., because we skiers notice snow. Well, there is snow in Iran, up north. Here's the weird thing: they launch from a carrier and land back on a carrier (those that make it, eh?). Again, not ABSOLUTELY impossible if the carrier were in the Caspian Sea for the snow (if the carrier were in the Persian Gulf or Gulf of Oman, there wouldn't be snow). So, here's the question: how TF does a US carrier get into a landlocked sea??? :P:P Did they get 7,945 chinooks to airlift it there? :roflmao:Enquiring minds want to know.

Of course, there is one other question - why wouldn't we have just used missiles against the facility? (Answer: because then we wouldn't have needed Tom Cruise, and that would be unacceptable).

Iran has a ski resort in the south, relatively close to the Persian Gulf (300-400km?), so probably within range of Super Hornets (?). But if it was Iran who provided their 5G fighters?

1657340088178.png

Update: NASA images from 2005.
1657345788246.png

Missiles were out as the nme had "GPS jamming". They mentioned that in the the film. Is that realistic? Who cares - it's Hollywood, not a documentary.

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
@RobSN : They can launch from carrier, fly towards destination, refuel in flight to have loitering fuel in target area. They can refuel in flight on the way back to the carrier. They don't have to fly there and back on the initial fuel load.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
@RobSN : They can launch from carrier, fly towards destination, refuel in flight to have loitering fuel in target area. They can refuel in flight on the way back to the carrier. They don't have to fly there and back on the initial fuel load.
Yeah, but they didn't - the carrier was right up close to the (river?) valley that they all flew along ... [And yes, I am being silly - I enjoyed the movie thoroughly!]

Sponsor