• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are going to have the skis IN the car, make sure they are secured well.
Seeems to me that if a seat belt can hold down a passenger in the back seat, it ought to be able to hold down your skis.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
i just put them in the car (various-depends what car my wife or kids are driving on that day) sans bag. Same thing when I rent. I like to let them air out and dry in car and outside of a bag. Also, I'm a bit of a messy car guy.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I drive a Skoda Octavia wagon my 2018, ordered it on purpose with a door in the back seat (even if the back seat is a 1/3 2/3) and a ski carrying bag. Great car to drive in winter conditions (even if I couldn't get the 4x4 version) and, to my standards, roomy as well.
If I am alone or just need to commute from home to the home-hill, and 2-3 pairs of skis are involved, then the skis will get inside the car in the bag, which comes with a "safety belt" to be looped to the top of the seats to avoid it to slide through the car.
If I'm not alone and/or more than 2-3 pairs of skis are involved, up comes the roof top box.
Km17ppYpFOA44hbJA88mt8_ETQqKCEsjECYraFuZcVz_S-7NjNchahYk9wwD2WsTcQmYWV-8ikWlKLCUSpAT-ORF1u7g2gkNIpdxLDoK1osB

Edit, a picture is worth a...

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I travel with my skis in ski bags in the car, back seats lowered. I'd never thought about securing them before but you all make a good point.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It actually just occurred to me that if I were to rear end someone at high speed, I bet the skis in my ski box, strapped down with those old webbed straps, would likely shoot through the front of the box as 186 cm spears right though the rear window of the vehicle I hit.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It actually just occurred to me that if I were to rear end someone at high speed, I bet the skis in my ski box, strapped down with those old webbed straps, would likely shoot through the front of the box as 186 cm spears right though the rear window of the vehicle I hit.
I think crash safety is why the rated weight limits for car-top rails are so low.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think crash safety is why the rated weight limits for car-top rails are so low.
Yep, and how many people on this forum look at that weight limit rather than how many pairs I can get in there alternating tip direction and double stacking them, quiver killer removing bindings, etc? My 4 pair of skinny skis rated box has had 7-8 pairs of adult and kid sized skis with other knick knacks stashed around the gaps remaining. I'd bet a lot of us are putting double the recommendation max weight in them.

Reactions: mdf

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like you don't have to worry about the skis smashing through the box into the car in front so much as the entire box flying off - probably wouldn't fit through the other cars rear window, so slight improvement? ;)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most Thule roof racks are rated for 165 lb.
Most OEM roof racks runs about 150.

Sponsor

Staff online