• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
So this has probably been hashed out a million times but....

How do you transport skis inside your car? Do you just sling them in or do you put them in a ski bag/sleeve?

If you use a ski bag would it be more to protect the skis (how fragile are they really) or the car (edges scratching the inside)?

I'm not really concerned about ski racks or boxes as that isn't something I could see myself doing for awhile/ever. If I can fit my road bike and a 10 foot PVC pipe in my car I'm sure skis will fit!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Whenever our skis leave the house they are in a ski bag. Once in a while if I'm just running a pair down to the local ski shop for a tune I'll grab them sans bag but generally speaking they are always in a bag when in the car. Particularly if the car's loaded up for a weekend trip somewhere.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I always carry my skis in the car. I don't like roof racks that leave skis exposed to road salt, etc. Not good for the workings of the bindings. If you are concerned with having them in the cabin of the car then I recommend a rooftop box.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The biggest concern is what happens in an emergency stop or a front end accident. Are the skis loaded in such a way that they don't become missiles? If not, it's very unsafe.

I tend to use the roof-box if I have many, and take them inside (folding the mid armrest forward) if I have a pair, maybe two. In that case, I cross the poles inside the car, perpendicularly, against the back of the back-seats, so that the poles hook against the bindings and lock the skis in. They can't really move forward. Granted, a catastrophic accident could make the poles jump up and make the lock ineffective, but then I would have bigger fish to fry :)

Basically, for day trips, i find it super convenient to load the skis the night before, just drop them in. No roof climbing. And I love having them close to me while I drive. Yes, I'm weird that way.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
As a car person, the threat of ski edges and poles damaging the paint is underrated in my opinion...DON'T lean your skiis anywhere near my car please!!!! :nono:

Also, I put them in a bag..just because that's how I transport them from the house and such. Just easier, nothing flopping around..and easier to prevent them from becoming missiles as Pousane mentioned..ya never think about that until they're removing it from your shoulder... :D

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I always carry my skis in the car. I fold down one side of the back seat and stow them there. One problem is that they tend to scissor on you once in a while, so you might need to strap them together at the tips/tails or use a bag. Gear bags/boot bags ride on top of the skis or on the other side of the trunk. If more than two are riding with me, I might use the CarryVan instead, and knock down one of the third row seats to make space for the skis/snowboards.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Longer tips, in a bag. To the local hills, just in the back. Car is old and a workhorse. There's some cosmetic scratches on the interior side of the back hatch and on the driver's side passenger door, but no big deal.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited with a soft top so a roof rack/box isn't an option for me. If I didn't have a soft top I'd have a box on top but I honestly just feel better having the skis in the car with me. We have a whole method to loading it up. One of the rear seats folds down, skis in their bags go in first and then boot bags and boot dryer go in back and our luggage goes on the back seat side that's not folded down. Jackets and other light things such as laptop bag goes over the top part of the skis so basically the skis aren't going anywhere in the event of a hard stop and things shifting around. If it's just 1 bag in the jeep with me it's an easy thing of just folding rear seat down and skis with the bindings on them are heavy enough to minimize movement. I fold the 1 seat down and put skis in at an angle so they really don't move much.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i use a ski bag. but also take an old beach towel. that's mainly for pole tips. But also can use for padding separating a double pair and wipe down.
I don't necessarily shut the bag all the way or use the tiedowns if it's just in the car.

if I have freshly tuned edges on some fast skis i want to use for carving, I may also use ski straps.
I think it is respectful to use a ski bag if you're riding in someone else's car, or you feel safer not having heavy sharp things exposed during a crash.

. if you are just renting or skiing once or twice a year people understand if you just being a towel.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you don't care about the interior of your car go ahead and toss them in there. I'd at least use a ski bag to try to keep the muddy, grimy water from soaking the seat and floorboard. If they fit 100% in the cargo area with seats folded down just be sure they are secured so they don't decapitate humans who are also riding in the car should a wreck happen.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So this has probably been hashed out a million times but....

How do you transport skis inside your car? Do you just sling them in or do you put them in a ski bag/sleeve?

If you use a ski bag would it be more to protect the skis (how fragile are they really) or the car (edges scratching the inside)?

I'm not really concerned about ski racks or boxes as that isn't something I could see myself doing for awhile/ever. If I can fit my road bike and a 10 foot PVC pipe in my car I'm sure skis will fit!

I use a bag and put em inside my SUV. After skiing I wipe the skis with rag and place them in the open bag or next to it so they dry out even more.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I just have an old skis bag that I place the skis in. More to protect the car than the skis. Since it's a SUV I don't need a roof box for just me. More people than the box goes up.

TS
CrystalRose

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the information everyone! I never considered the fact that they could become missiles.... has anyone ever been impaled by a ski before (off to google!)? They seem sort of blunt... I would be more concern about the poles in that case.

I think it is respectful to use a ski bag if you're riding in someone else's car, or you feel safer not having heavy sharp things exposed during a crash.

if you are just renting or skiing once or twice a year people understand if you just being a towel.

Thanks for this @raytseng. I was curious what people thought about friends just slinging their skis in the back of the car after they've been on the slopes all day. I don't know if I would mind if they were wipe down but everyone is different.

I currently rent skis and just give them back to the shop to store for the night. When I do put them in the car it's for a short time/distance.

So it seems the consensus so far is use a ski bag. Makes sense, I've just haven't seen anyone use them but I also haven't been hanging around the parking lots.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I also keep towels in the back and when done for the day we wipe the skis off, put them in the bag and leave top part unzipped so they can air out some more. There's never more than 3 of us in the vehicle at any time so folding the one seat down works pretty perfectly. I like the idea with a roof box but it's really not needed.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Thanks for the information everyone! I never considered the fact that they could become missiles.... has anyone ever been impaled by a ski before (off to google!)?
I don't know if anyone has actually been impaled, but blunt force trauma is nothing to scoff at.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Years ago I picked up some black moving blankets. I got them at a you-store-it place. They are great for protecting the interior of my car. I leave them in there all year long. They are great when traveling to cover things so they can't be seen.

The blankets also soak up the water when the snow and ice on my skis melt.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Jeep Wrangler with a roof top box. IF for some reason:
a) Too many skis to fit
or
b) Too lazy
Then skis will go into the back. It is a 1/3 2/3 seat. 1/3 set down and then....the skis are just thrown in. Honestly (don't tell @Chris Geib ).

Sponsor

Staff online