• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Travel luggage opinions

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I travel by commercial air a decent amount with work and also travel for skiing. I've been through more luggage over the years than I care to think of. I've tried what I'd consider normal soft sided luggage as well as hard shell cases. I have been thinking of switching to a large roller duffle. Any experience on how they stand up to the airlines? Suggestions on durable brands?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Transpack Vault would be where I would start. Transpack has worked well with us and have supported Tricia and myself for years and are looking to work with us in some sort of sponsorship fashion. They just sent out different bags to some members for review, expect to see some real world write ups coming here soon. @SkiEssentials is a Transpack dealer, maybe they can help you.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've been using duffels for some time now. Started out with my hockey referee bag and continued up to a roller duffel bag as you mention. I mean, it works as long as you aren't worried about stuff getting crushed too much. And the one big pocket is good for larger stuff..it's flexible for packing.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Dakine split rollers. We have a couple and they have travelled extensively, the original has done over 100 flights, domestic short haul and international long haul, and is still in great condition inside and out. I use them for longer business travel and pretty much all of our leisure travel. Apart from their durability, they have great functionality. In particular they truely open flat and the compartments are practical and work well. For short trips and work travel l only unpack anything that needs to be hung.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I travel by commercial air a decent amount with work and also travel for skiing. I've been through more luggage over the years than I care to think of. I've tried what I'd consider normal soft sided luggage as well as hard shell cases. I have been thinking of switching to a large roller duffle. Any experience on how they stand up to the airlines? Suggestions on durable brands?

I slightly overpack and also fly a lot.
UA destroyed one large hard sided bag -I got a free replacement
Next US destroyed the replacement - a free replacement of the replacement.
UA then destroyed the replacement for the replacement- whew Another one.
(It's still alive and kicking after 10 years) no clothes or small animals were hurt or lost in all this LOL

The best one was when I by mistake took a soft sided bag on a work trip and Eastern Airlines (remember them !)
sent It to New York instead of Wash National. I waited 2 hours and the bag arrived but smelled funny. I opened it at the airport
to check status of the 3 fifth's of hard liquor ( About $4 each at a navy PX in the Bahamas) that went thru customs for free
because the customs guy was having a good day:D . The bottle of 150 proof rum had cracked open -clothes were soaked.

I think If a match were lit this would have exploded :nono: :eek: :eek:

Amazingly the clothes washed out perfectly ! Didn't bother to report as I only lost $4 and if an inspection were
done the flaming inferno chance would be very high !:eyeroll:

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a Swix bag that lasted about 7 years. The first four were a lot of air travel. The past three were more road trips than air travel. Its time to replace it now and I'm considering a Dakine rolling bag. I'd love it if Transpack had something that was luggage specific but mostly they are ski specific.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eagle Creek makes great luggage with a great warranty which offers repair or replacement no matter the cause (aka airline caused damage that the airline won't cover). My large EC suitcase has made it through several international trips including banging around Italian trains from Rome to the Alps. When my roll aboard is up for replacement I plan to invest in an EC. They have several rolling duffles to chose from. http://shop.eaglecreek.com/duffels-bags-and-gear-bags/l/114

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I do a LOT of both, like 100K/yr for many years. The luggage that has stood the test of time is Tumi - before I get flamed and it is expensive, but they replace or repair forever. I basically am on the 3rd version of their carry-on wheeler (only paid once) - crap happens, no overhead, gate check, in the back of a cab, whatever. They fix or replace no questions asked. They do have a duffle that the Mrs. has - its huge. My larger duffle piece is the biggest one from TNF - 36" Rolling Thunder - again same deal applies. Heavy tarp material and some comparments w/ compression straps.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I do a LOT of both, like 100K/yr for many years. The luggage that has stood the test of time is Tumi - before I get flamed and it is expensive, but they replace or repair forever.

You can also get Tumi luggage at TJX stores (TJ Maxx and Marshalls) for cheap if you hit the right time of the year. Same warranty applies.

I've been using High Sierra roller bags for years. As I never, ever check my boots, I need a carry-on that can carry them and fit in the overhead compartment. I've had two HS rollers that do this well, and I can still pack a lot of ski clothing around and in the boots. Typically, I only ever have to check my ski bag, as the HS roller and my Timbuk2 courier bag fit the rest (my helmet is attached to the courier bag).

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
another Dakine split roller fan. we have two and they are over 6 years old, perfect condition except TSA couldn't get a TSA lock open and twisted it off and destroyed the zipper pulls. Dakine replaced for free.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. As I never, ever check my boots, I need a carry-on that can carry them and fit in the overhead compartment. I've had two HS rollers that do this well, and I can still pack a lot of ski clothing around and in the boots. Typically, I only ever have to check my ski bag, as the HS roller and my Timbuk2 courier bag fit the rest (my helmet is attached to the courier bag).

JetBlue got shirty about a High Sierra XBT carry on last weekend at BOS - they were perfectly OK with it at DCA

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I had to stick my bag in the sizer this am for my flight to SFO. That has never happened in the 15 years that I have been traveling for work.........ever. So, i guess they are getting aggressive. That said, it fit

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I have business travel by air 3-5 times per month plus family air travel several times per year. For business I use Briggs & Riley Baseline CX. Wonderful bag, lifetime warranty. Best overhead bin roller I've ever had and packed with features, especially the CX. I would not hesitate to get one of the Baseline large duffle bags. That said, we have had great luck with the LL Bean adventure rolling duffles for checked luggage, and I can get about 4 of those for one of the Briggs. The current Bean bag has been through 5-6 round trips as a checked bag with no visible signs of wear problem. For solo ski trips though, I do fine with the Briggs roller to carry-on for boots and many clothes, along with ski bag for everything else.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
+1 on the Dakine Split Roller. I have the 100L which fits everything I need for a week trip including gear and I am a pretty heavy packer. When full I am still under 50b so don't have any overage fees. Mine is @ 6 years and has worn very well.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
165L, both of our bags.bought in the summer when they were on sale,great value for a great roller bag

Last edited:

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
100L here too. Same experience as @NESkiBum - except both of ours are considerably older than six years - think the oldest is heading for 15 years and even United haven't managed to break it.

The size is good in that you can fit a lot in them but it is pretty easy to stay within airline weight limits and the size and shape are really compatible with puzzling into cars, shuttles, taxis etc.

meput

Booting up
Skier
I am a fan of the Patagonia 90L Black Hole duffel. The bag has many trips on it and is showing no wear, compliments of the airlines and my own abuse. It holds over a weeks worth of cloths and gear. For its volume, it is very light. Good for staying under the 50 lb weight limit. Granted, it does not have wheels. For wheels, I use my Douchebag ski bag. The Patagonia bag rides very nicely on the lower portion of the Douchebag, without being strapped down. Anyone in the market for a ski bag that easily carries 2 pair of skis, has wheels and is soft sided while having padding and protection ribs, should really check out the Douchebag.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I will add that I always travel with these (mint is optional). Sewing up a zipper tear now. All the warranty verbiage in the world isn't getting your skis/clothes back across the country when a luggage handler drags your zipper across the Tarmac or a strap gets caught in the conveyor, etc, etc. I also carry some of that tent repair tape too.

Also, most airlines don't reimburse (or will drag it out forever) for that stuff anyway and I'd be a little hesitant to claim warranty for abuse by airline. American does have a ready set of luggage to give you in a pinch though.

image.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Coming back from Aspen I had good evindence that perceptions matter. I have an old Lands End boot bag, similar to the Dakine models that are still being sold, with a lower compartment for boots and an upper compartment for helmet and odds and ends. I put it over my shoulder and act like it is light.

I carry on, but don't mind gate checking on regional jets like Aspen. I was carrying on from Aspen and asked the gate agent for a valet tag and they said "Oh, that will fit" but I took one anyway. THe person at the gate check cart outside also told me it would fit. Took it onboard -- nope -- had to wade upstream to take it back to the gate check rack.

It does fit fine in every non-regional jet overhead I have ever tried, though it takes some wiggling. I don't think it would fit in the checker devices.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January