• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Tree clearing Whitewater BC

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cutting new trails with this machine is nuts. Just watching how they do this is crazy cool.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
When we had thinning done on our property the first year, the machine sliced at the base, rotated the tree and then the tree ran horizontally through the jaws, being sliced into logs as it went, for the trees we weren't selling to the lumber company. The ones being sold were just sliced and piled on the truck bed. Very slick operation. Nothing was yanked out of the ground it would have looked like a war zone.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Some of the commercial logging equipment is absolutely amazing! That machine is a 'feller buncher', and it isn't even a big one. Huge labor savers. If you like equipment and you get the chance go to a logging equipment show; lots of people in plad shirts and huge machines..

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Geez, maybe I notice the small stuff...the machine is chained to something, most like a new grooming winch post.
I'm sure it has to be stabilized on many levels so the tree doesn't topple the equipment.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
How does he know how deep to cut into the snowpack. Presumably they survey depth of treewells first or maybe they want to build pillow lines?